#90 December 17, 2023, 01:54:29 PM Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 01:59:50 PM by Bürggermeister
Not saying it's a rule, that there are no great albums after #4 but the longer we move on the more that looks like a mid-career fluke brought about by fresh blood, like a new-manager boost relegation candidates frequently experience in football. See also: The Stench of Redemption 😂

Quote from: The Great Cull on December 17, 2023, 12:27:15 PM
Quote from: Bürggermeister on December 17, 2023, 12:15:36 PMIf all bands had to break up after their 4th album, the world wouldn't to too much worse off. There'll be a handful of exceptions, yeah, but the vast majority of stuff from album 5 onwards is a pale reflection of what went before. Most bands have said everything they had to say by #4.

I'd possibly stretch that to 5 or 6 but definitely not beyond that.

5 makes it too easy. 4 makes it hurt  :laugh:

Think of it another way: if you had to choose, are there any bands where you'd lose the first four albums to keep everything after? Who do you think were stronger after #4 than before?

Quote from: Bürggermeister on December 17, 2023, 01:54:29 PMNot saying it's a rule, that there are no great albums after #4 but the longer we move on the more that looks like a mid-career fluke brought about by fresh blood, like a new-manager boost relegation candidates frequently experience in football. See also: The Stench of Redemption 😂

Quote from: Bürggermeister on December 17, 2023, 12:15:36 PMIf all bands had to break up after their 4th album, the world wouldn't to too much worse off. There'll be a handful of exceptions, yeah, but the vast majority of stuff from album 5 onwards is a pale reflection of what went before. Most bands have said everything they had to say by #4.

Think of it another way: if you had to choose, are there any bands where you'd lose the first four albums to keep everything after? Who do you think were stronger after #4 than before?

Pantera

Quote from: Bürggermeister on December 17, 2023, 01:54:29 PMNot saying it's a rule, that there are no great albums after #4 but the longer we move on the more that looks like a mid-career fluke brought about by fresh blood, like a new-manager boost relegation candidates frequently experience in football. See also: The Stench of Redemption 😂

COC and Killing Joke are all I can think of

Way off with Killing Joke, the first 2 are 2 of their best.

Their last 3 with me but I think they're a band that can be an exception and sit in their own category

Quote from: Carnage on December 17, 2023, 05:54:46 PMWay off with Killing Joke, the first 2 are 2 of their best.

Killing Joke are just fucking excellent

Quote from: Bürggermeister on December 17, 2023, 01:54:29 PMThink of it another way: if you had to choose, are there any bands where you'd lose the first four albums to keep everything after? Who do you think were stronger after #4 than before?

Pantera
Thin Lizzy
Pink Floyd
Death (controversial!)

First band that came to mind to break that rule is opeth, fav albums are in the first 4 but couldn't say they got stale and werent still improving after that. They definitely are the exception and it largely applies.

Not many other bands I can think of.. possibly immolation?

Rush is another, having had a hard time thinking of any more though

Quote from: Giggles on December 18, 2023, 12:10:07 AMDeath (controversial!)

I'd couldn't go along with that, though it's a hard one. I love the progression through all the albums but the song quality is in the first four.

I think I'd say Voivod, too, but their 4 album peak started with the third one. Definitely Anthrax, too. It's interesting. All the bands mentioned are the ones who were slower to find their "classic" sound and tended to stay interesting for longer. Those who emerged with a bang tended to run out of gas earlier. Where there's a significant member change, you sometimes get the Painkiller or Stench effect, but it rarely lasts. Killing Joke are the exeption where their last albums were as good as anything they ever did  :laugh:

Iron Maiden's released 3 more classic albums after their fourth.

Quote from: nukeabuse on December 18, 2023, 12:21:27 AMFirst band that came to mind to break that rule is opeth, fav albums are in the first 4 but couldn't say they got stale and werent still improving after that. They definitely are the exception and it largely applies.

Not many other bands I can think of.. possibly immolation?

Immolation are as consistent as it gets and their recent stuff is all very worthy, but you're not getting Dawn of Possession and CTAWB (especially) out of my cold dead hands for anything that comes after.

Quote from: The Great Cull on December 17, 2023, 06:02:18 PMTheir last 3 with me but I think they're a band that can be an exception and sit in their own category
yea, Killing Joke were very consistent throughout their career. I really like how they got heavier over time and the song writing was always very good.

After near 25 years of thinking Slipknots self titled was their first album, I found out today they had two albums before that, one with a different vocalist and one with Taylor.
Ya learn something new every day.

#104 December 19, 2023, 01:41:09 AM Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 01:45:28 AM by Carnage
Just the one before the s/t as far as I know, with the old singer - Mate Feed Kill Repeat or something along those lines. It's awful, just a mess. They refer to it as a demo these days, which is pure revisionism as I remember them referring to it as their first album in interviews at the time of the s/t album's release.

Never heard of a pre-s/t album with Taylor TBH, was it a demo or label-only thing?