Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 17, 2024, 08:35:51 AMGoing in to see Triumph of Death tonight. I only found out they were playing yesterday. Should be... interesting...  8)

How was it?

Quote from: Mithrandir on August 18, 2024, 05:25:12 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 17, 2024, 08:35:51 AMGoing in to see Triumph of Death tonight. I only found out they were playing yesterday. Should be... interesting...  8)

How was it?

It was good. Cool to catch up with a few of the heads as always. Caught the second support who were bland thrash stuff. HH started off well. The sound was great and Tom's voice was brilliant. Then he started letting the other guitarist do vocals and his voice was shit. Then the amp started acting up with the sound cutting in and out and I had had enough at that stage and fucked off home

Quote from: Trev on August 17, 2024, 10:56:58 PM
Quote from: Ducky on August 17, 2024, 10:42:49 PMMaybe one for the controversial opinions thread, but Max is a fucking chancer. The artistic integrity of his career and Andreas Kisser's after the former exited Sepultura shows who the real brains behind the band was.

And as good as Igor is, Eloy eats him for breakfast.
100% agree, Max has made a career out of surrounding himself with better songwriters/guitarists and tried to make it look like everything was down to him

The whole "no Cavalera, no Sepultura" shtick ignores the massive leap they made on Schizophrenia when Andreas joined, and that wasn't because Max suddenly learned how to play

Left to his own, he came out with the first few shite Soulfly records, and then they massively improved when Marc Rizzo joined

Him and Gloria are basically a more underground Sharon and Ozzy. Fuck over everyone they work with, but make it look like the managers are the only culpable one

Never thought of the Ozzy/Sharon parallel before, but it's right on the money.

Was perusing the Metal Archives entry for Schizophrenia there, it says Jario T decided to leave the band after "composing 95% of the material". And 'Escape to the Void' is basically a cover of a song from Kisser's old band, just with different lyrics. So the two Cavaleras honking their horns about the re-recording recently is effectively trading on the skills of others.

I've not listened to a lick of SoulFly (due to the impression of those first few albums), curious to hear the difference with this Rizzo chap.

Igor was a beast in his day and while Max was never a virtuoso guitarist with a lyric book that consists only of  "Arise", "Babylon" , "Tribe" and "Roots" he had, and still has a great voice.

Even the most diehard Cavalera fans must surely see that they needed both a player and songwriter like Andreas to work with them. That incarnation of the band fell apart because Gloria thought Max was the star with 3 supporting actors. I've always said Gloria reminded me of Sharon without the soap.

I can't be the only one who cringes hard as fuck when some chump from Slipknot announces, with no little pride, that he made a new mask? Morto for all grown ups.

I was just grateful that no Slipknot mask news filters through to me... Until now  :'(   

#576 August 23, 2024, 09:45:41 AM Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 10:44:26 AM by The Wretch
Everything about Slipknot is fucking cringe. Every time someone mentions them as a metal reference point it makes me want to cry tears of shit, even more than years ago when people heard you were a metal fan and said "Are ye into deh Depp Leper, an Bawn Joovee?"       

But I find it especially annoying when that wonky headed fucker turns up in a documentary to state the obvious as if it is something profoundly insightful, or say "frickin awwwwwesome" in that particularly cunty yank way.

I see he is in that 'Nothin' But A Good Time' documentary too, another scene he had literally nothing to do with. I'm sure his contributions will be fascinating. 

He's almost as ubiquitous as Dave Grohl. And even more annoying.

I remember laughing my balls off a few years ago when he released a book and was described as a "metal renaissance man". G'wan teh fuck.

That whole scene in the 90's and 00's where cunts wore masks or stupid face makeup, leave that stuff to Kiss, King Diamond, Alice Cooper etc...
....and Gwar!!!

Quote from: The Heretic on August 23, 2024, 10:43:11 AMThat whole scene in the 90's and 00's where cunts wore masks or stupid face makeup, leave that stuff to Kiss, King Diamond, Alice Cooper etc...
....and Gwar!!!
I suppose that is really a product of its time. The Berzerker wore masks too, at least they were great! I'm all for a band to have a bit of mystique though

Quote from: Necro Red on August 23, 2024, 11:10:39 AM
Quote from: The Heretic on August 23, 2024, 10:43:11 AMThat whole scene in the 90's and 00's where cunts wore masks or stupid face makeup, leave that stuff to Kiss, King Diamond, Alice Cooper etc...
....and Gwar!!!
I suppose that is really a product of its time. The Berzerker wore masks too, at least they were great! I'm all for a band to have a bit of mystique though

Its a fine line though, you can either pull it off or you fail miserably....

Slipknot were definitely a gateway band for me, those first two albums were like nothing else I'd heard before, and I enjoyed the rest until they fucked out Jordison

The bits I've heard since then have been shite though, and Taylor is such an insufferable cunt, absolutely no time for them these days

Quote from: Anvil on August 23, 2024, 09:02:53 AMI was just grateful that no Slipknot mask news filters through to me... Until now  :'(   
Sorry man, I was cringing so hard I think I blacked out there for a while

#582 August 23, 2024, 12:48:59 PM Last Edit: August 23, 2024, 12:52:13 PM by Ducky
Couldn't give a shite about their music and I'd be hard pushed to even name a song of their's (bar Wait and Bleed), but they're defo both a gateway band for a lot of people, and one that others have kept on their journey towards better and heavier bands.

Regarding the masks, they look like total spas for sure, but no more the trve kult black metal brigade. And to be honest, if I had to, I'd prefer to wear one of their masks in a band than dress up like the panda-in-leather-and-spikes cunts.

That Corey Taylor is an insufferable goon for sure. He seems to be up for any interview on any topic at any time and he'll defo be such and such's biggest fan.

Quote from: The Great Cull on August 23, 2024, 12:49:22 PMThat Corey Taylor is an insufferable goon for sure. He seems to be up for any interview on any topic at any time and he'll defo be such and such's biggest fan.

He's a dose. Stil
Quote from: Ducky on August 18, 2024, 01:19:40 PM
Quote from: Trev on August 17, 2024, 10:56:58 PM
Quote from: Ducky on August 17, 2024, 10:42:49 PMMaybe one for the controversial opinions thread, but Max is a fucking chancer. The artistic integrity of his career and Andreas Kisser's after the former exited Sepultura shows who the real brains behind the band was.

And as good as Igor is, Eloy eats him for breakfast.
100% agree, Max has made a career out of surrounding himself with better songwriters/guitarists and tried to make it look like everything was down to him

The whole "no Cavalera, no Sepultura" shtick ignores the massive leap they made on Schizophrenia when Andreas joined, and that wasn't because Max suddenly learned how to play

Left to his own, he came out with the first few shite Soulfly records, and then they massively improved when Marc Rizzo joined

Him and Gloria are basically a more underground Sharon and Ozzy. Fuck over everyone they work with, but make it look like the managers are the only culpable one

Never thought of the Ozzy/Sharon parallel before, but it's right on the money.

Was perusing the Metal Archives entry for Schizophrenia there, it says Jario T decided to leave the band after "composing 95% of the material". And 'Escape to the Void' is basically a cover of a song from Kisser's old band, just with different lyrics. So the two Cavaleras honking their horns about the re-recording recently is effectively trading on the skills of others.

I've not listened to a lick of SoulFly (due to the impression of those first few albums), curious to hear the difference with this Rizzo chap.

Andreas and the lads live free in Max, Igor & Glorias head. But they can't go five minutes without a dig.
Whereas Sepultura take the high road and do well for themselves.