Muppets. Tyr is the best Sabbath album I have heard. Headless Cross is also brilliant but I would put it slightly behind Tyr.

A lot of music critics are clueless cunts (see - Robert Christigau, who was a tone-deaf fuckstick).

Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 27, 2024, 11:45:39 AMAshes Against the Grain was decent but couldn't compete with The Mantle. Pale Folklore I have as well but I'm less familiar with. I will have to properly acquaint myself over the next week or two just in case.

Random metal related thought- Isn't it a pity In  Flames aren't a savage Norwegian or Greek black metal band rather than a... whatever they are kind of band. The name, when you think about it and try to separate it from their music, is pretty damn cool.
Great name alright, same with Impending Doom, I was so disappointed when I actually listened to the music

Was surprised to see recently that 3/5 of In Flames members are American lads.

I've always liked 90s In Flames, Reroute to Remain was the first thing they did that repulsed me.

I'm with that myself, can listen to anything up to Reroute no  bother
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 27, 2024, 12:16:45 PMMuppets. Tyr is the best Sabbath album I have heard. Headless Cross is also brilliant but I would put it slightly behind Tyr.

I'd still rate Master of Reality as their best, but Tyr could definitely crack my top 5. Love the Dio era too, but I think Tony Martin's voice suits the music more. Going to give The Eternal Idol a spin as I haven't heard it yet.

I've never heard a single sabbath album without ozzy on it. Not even a single tune honest. Out of the ozzy ones, master of reality is the obvious best but paranoid is close

The way ye are talking about that Tyr one is making me want to listen to it though so fuck it I'll throw it on now and see

Quote from: astfgyl on August 28, 2024, 11:03:38 PMI've never heard a single sabbath album without ozzy on it.

There isn't one. They're all Iommi solo albums. And shit.

Quote from: Carnage on August 28, 2024, 11:08:19 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on August 28, 2024, 11:03:38 PMI've never heard a single sabbath album without ozzy on it.

Honestly? I'm genuinely going to give this Tyr thing a go. I don't even know who will be singing on it

It'll be a bit of a shock to the system, it's a very long way from the Ozzy stuff. I'd give the Dio stuff a lash first, particularly Dehumanizer, probably the scuzziest thing they recorded post-Oz.

Right so. I was exactly 2 minutes and 12 seconds into that thing and I realised it wasn't Black Sabbath at all. Yeah some of the same players etc but no it's not the same band really is it? All they had to do was make up a new band and not a bother but jaysus now I know why lads have been giving out about it for years and it's nothing to do with the tunes it's just stupid in general.

Same as Sepultura, although I think Against is a brilliant album.

I still have it on by the way I don't even think it's bad but the only way I think a band could go that far and not change the name is by having the full original lineup

Quote from: astfgyl on August 28, 2024, 11:09:23 PM
Quote from: Carnage on August 28, 2024, 11:08:19 PM

Honestly? I'm genuinely going to give this Tyr thing a go. I don't even know who will be singing on it

Heaven And Hell is hilariously bad. Literally, I burst out laughing the first time I listened to it.

When I was getting into metal and Sabbath in particular, I couldn't understand why some was so good and some was so bad - to the point that when I borrowed Headless Cross off a friend that I was sure there was a printing error and the album on the tape wasn't what was meant to be there. It was only when I was picking up on the history of the band that I figured out the same, that the later stuff was a completely different band with nothing in common with the real deal.

Whether it's real Sabbath or not is indeed debatable, but Tyr, Headless Cross and Heaven and Hell are epic.

#614 August 29, 2024, 04:00:00 PM Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 04:01:58 PM by Giggles
I love the Heaven and Hell album to bits, but I never got into anything after that. I had a similar experience to what Astfgyl described above with either Tyr or Headless Cross years ago, when somebody on the old forum mentioned that it was the best Sabbath album. Me hole!

It wouldn't be fair to call it shite because I didn't give it a chance at all, but it just wasn't what I wanted at the time. Might give them another goo someday.

Also, I bought Heaven and Hell before I bought the first 5 albums, so already knew it front to back. I'm sure that helped!