I must check out Crossroads. The change of singer was so disappointing to me back then that I just couldn't compute, but maybe enough time has passed now for me to get over it. But probably not. NEVER FORGET!

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 20, 2024, 09:42:11 PMWasn't overly taken with Burn the World but always interested in listening to new material from them. Crossroads would be at least a top 20 metal album for me, and the earlier ones are great too.

Top 20 you say? I hated Crimen Laesae when it came out and have gone back to it every so often and does nothing for me, will give this a lash later :abbath:

Crossroads is the one that got me into them, which is why I could never understand why loads of folk said they couldn't get into it because of the change of singer: I think he's better  :abbath:  But yeah I do think top 20 for me, in a ranking where, for comparison, Conspiracy and Painkiller would be in top 10.

Just stuck Still Life by Opeth on this morning and I can't help but to ponder why it doesn't get the credit it perhaps deserves.   Possibly my favourite Opeth release (also was my first, which is probably why it is my favourite) but I have often thought is an overlooked album in their discography. 

Imagine, allowing for the language barrier, if Sepultura had called 'Beneath the Remains' 'Below the Remains'. I wonder if we would think it sounded cool or like a missed opportunity.

There's no album that can't be made cooler with a Mass Hippy-No-Sis on it

Quote from: Anvil on July 10, 2024, 09:09:20 AMJust stuck Still Life by Opeth on this morning and I can't help but to ponder why it doesn't get the credit it perhaps deserves.  Possibly my favourite Opeth release (also was my first, which is probably why it is my favourite) but I have often thought is an overlooked album in their discography. 

It's my favourite too. Or at least it was until In Cauda Venenum came out, which could well now be my favourite from them.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 10, 2024, 09:23:50 AM
Quote from: Anvil on July 10, 2024, 09:09:20 AMJust stuck Still Life by Opeth on this morning and I can't help but to ponder why it doesn't get the credit it perhaps deserves.  Possibly my favourite Opeth release (also was my first, which is probably why it is my favourite) but I have often thought is an overlooked album in their discography. 

It's my favourite too. Or at least it was until In Cauda Venenum came out, which could well now be my favourite from them.

Strangely not heard that one yet, think I got bored of their newer stuff quite quickly
  Must check it out. 

Go for the Swedish language version. Don't know why exactly, but really adds to it.

Quote from: Anvil on July 10, 2024, 09:09:20 AMJust stuck Still Life by Opeth on this morning and I can't help but to ponder why it doesn't get the credit it perhaps deserves.   Possibly my favourite Opeth release (also was my first, which is probably why it is my favourite) but I have often thought is an overlooked album in their discography. 

My Arms, Your Hearse is my favourite, but Still Life is really close to it. Still Life is also home to my two favourite Opeth songs, namely Godhead's Lament, and Moonlapse Vertigo.

Never quite understood why Blackwater Park was raved about instead of Still Life; always found that Blackwater Park sags in the middle.

The two opening songs on Blackwater Park are unreal. The rest never really grabbed me.

Pretty much. The title track is a whopper too, but it's the last track on the album and you've the other five tracks of filler to get through first.

#447 July 10, 2024, 06:58:43 PM Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 08:29:19 PM by The Wretch
Opeth bore my tits off for the most part.

And I'm generally a big fan of the kind of classic prog stuff Akerfeldt cites as an influence, so the idea of mixing that with metal is certainly appealing, but aside from a some of the tracks on the earlier albums, they really do nothing for me.

I'd rather listen to the stuff he did with Bloodbath to be honest.

I think I was a bit more enamored with them when I was younger and hearing Still Life for the first time as I heard that before any old school prog rock.

And also before I heard Camel, as Akerfedlt's lead playing borrows heavily from Andy Latimer and it became a lot less distinct to my ears after sitting through Mirage and Moonmadness.

I dropped off them hard after Watershed as the songwriting had simply evaporated, though I might revisit the latest one after BSC's praise :abbath:

#449 July 10, 2024, 10:58:04 PM Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 11:06:14 PM by The Wretch
Speaking of Opeth, why does it still feel wrong to me when I see a metal player with a PRS guitar?

Apologies to anyone here who owns one, but they just scream "boring cunt" to me. I know that is probably an illogical reaction in 2024, but I don't think they will ever seem cool or metal.