Never had one but used to want a PRS more than anything  :laugh: Anyone else remember the beautiful emerald green one they had up behind the counter in Music Maker?

I know John Christ used one on the first Danzig, which is mint, but I just can't bring myself to think of them as a metal guitar. Even though they are obviously high quality instruments.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 10, 2024, 11:08:49 PMNever had one but used to want a PRS more than anything  :laugh: Anyone else remember the beautiful emerald green one they had up behind the counter in Music Maker?

I remember it well  :laugh:

I knew a lad in the early 90's whose da was a popular enough Irish songwriter, bought the guy a PRS which, since he was a singer-songwriter type, strung it up with fucking thick cables rather than strings, almost pulled the trem out of the body. He had no idea about setups. The action was about an inch off the fretboard. I still weep thinking about that lovely guitar suffering with yer man strumming the oul four chords on it.

Loved Opeth up to and including Watershed, but no interest in the 70s prog imitation stuff

Picked up Heritage and Pale Communion when they came out, some ok stuff but nothing I feel like going back to

I like the PRS too but yeah , it's not a very rock n roll looking guitar.

Heritage falls flat a bit, but I think Pale Communion is great. Both albums I only really listened to properly after getting pulled back in by In Cauda Venenum.

Also, I don't get this PRS not being rock-looking guitars thing. Just pretend you never saw those late 90s Santana music videos!  :laugh:

#456 July 11, 2024, 01:18:37 AM Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 02:20:46 AM by The Wretch
They always looked like they were made by bespoke furniture makers to me.  Impressive craftsmanship.

But not a whiff of steel about them.

#457 July 11, 2024, 02:18:45 AM Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 02:34:32 AM by The Wretch
I can only presume Sepultura have a whole new fan base now for the most part? Nothing they have done in the last 30 odd years seems all that interesting to me, no matter how many chances I give them.  I can't imagine anyone raised on the early albums would choose most of these tracks for any setlist.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/10-songs-sepultura-need-to-play-before-they-retire

#458 July 11, 2024, 07:26:31 AM Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 08:53:01 AM by Bürggermeister
Saw them touring BTR in the Top Hat, find much to love before Roots and from Roorback onwards and have seen them play pretty much all those songs with Derrick over the years. Baffling article, given how Metal Hammer very clearly chose Camp Cavalera and slated Sepultura at almost every opportunity after the split up until recently.

They're genuinely one of the few bands from the 80's whose output after about 1993 I would miss were it to disappear. Them, Voivod and Anthrax, I reckon, are the only ones who come to mind where the latter stuff stayed interesting to this day. They didn't sound the same as the used to, of course, but evolved in an interesting and original way.

#459 July 11, 2024, 09:36:04 AM Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 10:39:34 AM by The Wretch
I can't get into them at all really. I do like Derek's voice to be fair, but their music does fook all for me. I imagine they give a good account of themselves live mind you. And they are way better than anything the Cavalera's have managed. And I saw Cavalera Conspiracy at Graspop once and they were dull as dishwater.

And sadly I saw Soulfly at Ozzfest years ago. Absolute horseshit. One of the most insufferable performances ever. I did meet Max when were passing his hotel though, and he was a lovely fella.   

Agreed on Voivod. I didn't think I'd enjoy them without Piggy but the quality of their music has largely been really good, and they have kept my attention.

Anthrax I find a little bit hit and miss, but when they get it right, they can still surprise. Even the post SOWN Bush albums have some great tunes, even if they were pretty far from thrash. I saw them live with him a few times too, and they were pretty damn impressive.

Plus Worship Music is maybe the best big 4 related album of the last 30 odd years, and one of the best modern thrash albums in general.

For me Spitz leaving was a bigger issue than the change of vocalist. Most underrated player of the 80's IMO. They have never managed to replace him really.

Give Machine Messiah a go. It's the post-Max album that first gave me pause for thought as to their standing as a worthy creative force in their own right. I've since listened to other stuff from them and found quality in plenty of places, even if rarely if never reaching the heights of BtR or the best of Arise.

I'll give it a listen sure.

Speaking of Sepultura, I've been considering buying that Andreas Kisser Jackson.   

Not the Santana signature PRS??  :laugh:

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on July 11, 2024, 11:09:09 AMNot the Santana signature PRS??  :laugh:

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: 

I'll give that a miss. And anything Santana related generally.

Quote from: The Wretch on July 11, 2024, 02:18:45 AMI can only presume Sepultura have a whole new fan base now for the most part? Nothing they have done in the last 30 odd years seems all that interesting to me, no matter how many chances I give them.  I can't imagine anyone raised on the early albums would choose most of these tracks for any setlist.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/10-songs-sepultura-need-to-play-before-they-retire

Quote from: The Wretch on July 11, 2024, 09:36:04 AMI can't get into them at all really. I do like Derek's voice to be fair, but their music does fook all for me. I imagine they give a good account of themselves live mind you. And they are way better than anything the Cavalera's have managed. And I saw Cavalera Conspiracy at Graspop once and they were dull as dishwater.

And sadly I saw Soulfly at Ozzfest years ago. Absolute horseshit. One of the most insufferable performances ever. I did meet Max when were passing his hotel though, and he was a lovely fella.   

Agreed on Voivod. I didn't think I'd enjoy them without Piggy but the quality of their music has largely been really good, and they have kept my attention.

Anthrax I find a little bit hit and miss, but when they get it right, they can still surprise. Even the post SOWN Bush albums have some great tunes, even if they were pretty far from thrash. I saw them live with him a few times too, and they were pretty damn impressive.

Plus Worship Music is maybe the best big 4 related album of the last 30 odd years, and one of the best modern thrash albums in general.

For me Spitz leaving was a bigger issue than the change of vocalist. Most underrated player of the 80's IMO. They have never managed to replace him really.
Quote from: The Wretch on July 11, 2024, 09:36:04 AMFor me Spitz leaving was a bigger issue than the change of vocalist. Most underrated player of the 80's IMO. They have never managed to replace him really.

Wasn't Spitz using PRS guitars when he rejoined for the anniversary tour?😂

Think Jon Donais's been a good fit for Anthrax so far as Shadow's Fall did have a bit of the 'thrax to their sound.