Yep, it has certainly changed from meaning something very heavy, slow and often completely fucking filthy to including literally any band with members who have beards and tattoos.

Quote from: Bürggermeister on June 13, 2024, 05:33:17 PMI've been to Berlin a good few times over the last few years. It's still a very odd city with the mix of imperial, fascist, communist and now capitalist architecture, all in one place. There are still many areas where the legacy of the war and then the wall make for a very odd vibe in a city in 2024. It's very different to other cities.

It must have been fucking surreal for non-German bands, who were signed to Noise in the 80's, to find themselves in the little island of West Berlin when they came over to record. The likes of Voivod or Watchtower, in particular, recording in Hansa or Skytrak, close to the wall, towers and death strip, penned in by the wall, must have made for a total fucking brain melt which must surely have had some sort of influence on them. Just to be dropped into this mental environment which was normal to the lads working in the studio, and then fly back out again... it must have been mental.

I only have a couple of Noise Records releases but I'm intrigued by this. Am I imagining that there was a book released about Noise Records?

#422 June 14, 2024, 08:40:07 AM Last Edit: June 14, 2024, 08:43:59 AM by Wilbur Whateley
You're not imagining it - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34673846-damn-the-machine---the-story-of-noise-records

Haven't read it myself so I can't comment on whether it covers the culture shock experienced by US bands.

Have it, he touches on it very briefly in the Watchtower section, but more in the way that they had never been out of Texas, US lads abroad for the first time, that kind of thing, not specifically the effect of the unnatural bubble of West Berlin.

Nice. Might be worth picking that up at some point.

For some reason, this Five Will Die interview that I saw 13 years ago popped into my head. Bag of Cans Barry is some lad.

Working along to some classical music here, next thing I know my brain screeches out "You're possessing me!"  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DL5YpEobO0&t=347s

Quote from: Bürggermeister on June 14, 2024, 09:22:33 AMHave it, he touches on it very briefly in the Watchtower section, but more in the way that they had never been out of Texas, US lads abroad for the first time, that kind of thing, not specifically the effect of the unnatural bubble of West Berlin.

I always wondered did the location they recorded in have any influence on the lyrics or sleeve to Control and Resistance.

Coincidence that Metal Hammer put up the following retrospective on Voivod in Germany

https://www.loudersound.com/features/voivod-dimension-hatross-story-behind-album

#429 June 20, 2024, 09:25:50 PM Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 09:36:21 PM by Thorn
New Portrait imminent!!I

Just gone up  on yt
14 tracks, 74+ mins , bloody hell  that's offputting, hope they haven't caught the Maiden bug.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Wasn't overly taken with Burn the World but always interested in listening to new material from them. Crossroads would be at least a top 20 metal album for me, and the earlier ones are great too.

Ah I'm gonna have to pound this into me repeatedly over the weekend but seriously a band in the style of Portrait, just give us 4 tracks side A ,4 tracks side B and the likes of me won't be stressing it.

Crossroads top twenty of all time? That's a call!

Yeah, I think it's a masterpiece, a total standout, absolutely zero filler, dripping in atmosphere, some of the best vocals ever put down, so dynamic in its heaviness. Gah, I just love it  :laugh:  :abbath:

Don't get me wrong I do love the album but when push comes to shove..well, I don't think Portrait are a Top Twenty album of all time band for me but I'll definitely have to dig it out again now..

Actually no, I'll have enough to contend with getting my head around the new one!

Haha, that's fair enough. I'll be giving the new one a listen tomorrow but will have to throw on Crossroads again tonight, now that I'm after getting my mind watering thinking about it  :laugh: