#390 June 09, 2024, 11:00:10 AM Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 02:07:35 PM by The Heretic
Quote from: Carnage on June 06, 2024, 06:13:31 PMDidn't know where to put this, apparently it's old news now anyway:

Vanessa Warwick has an online rock/metal show on the go called Heavy Metal Heydaze, first I heard of it was a Facebook post by Saxon.

https://medium.com/@livinglifefearless/heavy-metal-heydaze-is-a-new-show-dedicated-to-fans-of-heavy-metal-rock-3ffd94c89591

She went into some property business but that's ended in some sort of controversy or something...I'm not sure...she was kinda hot back in the day but a lot of that was down to makeup...she could do with a good dinner nowadays..

Yeah, I YTed heydaze vanessa warwick the other day and the second result was some kind of property youtuber, bit of a wreck-the-head personality, accusing her of racism or something, I dunno I didn't get very far into it, but funny it was so high up in the results

It's easy to forget how important Headbangers Ball was back in the day, those 2-3 hours a week were a lifeline into metal..that and the Friday Rock show on BBC Radio..Tommy Vance RIP

Don't recall ever listening to a BBC rock show, missed out there, but for sure Headbangers Ball, Into The Pit, The Metal Show, ah, halcyon days of weekly mind-blowing injections of new metal  :abbath:

Tommy Vance and Raw Power on late night ITV were the main ones for me.  Born on the wrong side of the tracks to afford sky and MTV when I was young.

Wrong coast of the island maybe? Sky and MTV were free on the east coast at least. My ma would certainly never have paid out for them :laugh:

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 09, 2024, 03:02:31 PMWrong coast of the island maybe? Sky and MTV were free on the east coast at least. My ma would certainly never have paid out for them :laugh:

Too far north.  Until channel 5 came along in 1995/6, we only had 4 channels.   

Quote from: The Heretic on June 09, 2024, 11:00:10 AM
Quote from: Carnage on June 06, 2024, 06:13:31 PMDidn't know where to put this, apparently it's old news now anyway:

Vanessa Warwick has an online rock/metal show on the go called Heavy Metal Heydaze, first I heard of it was a Facebook post by Saxon.

https://medium.com/@livinglifefearless/heavy-metal-heydaze-is-a-new-show-dedicated-to-fans-of-heavy-metal-rock-3ffd94c89591

She went into some property business but that's ended in some sort of controversy or something...I'm not sure...she was kinda hot back in the day but a lot of that was down to makeup...she could do with a good dinner nowadays..

Recall finding her on Twitter years ago complaining about tenants having too much rights and retweeting LinkedIn shite.

Quote from: Anvil on June 09, 2024, 02:54:11 PMTommy Vance and Raw Power on late night ITV were the main ones for me.  Born on the wrong side of the tracks to afford sky and MTV when I was young.

Yeah I was constantly giving the cousin blank vhs tapes for Headbangers ball and anything was heavy.

Loving all the random YouTube pages where lads have uploaded old episodes of that &Noisy Mother's.

Awaken The Misogynist must be among the worst band titles ever.

"Bring out the misogynist."

"The misogynists sleeping"

"Well wake him up then!"

#400 June 10, 2024, 10:20:14 AM Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 10:36:20 AM by Anvil
Regarding Holy Smokes by Iron Maiden... Loved it as a kid.   Think I bought the single as well and played the death out of it on a rather shit radiogram we had much to the annoyance of the rest of the family.   But I've always really liked No Prayer for the Dying.  Got it on the day of release and was the third Maiden album I ever listened to (after Live after Death and 7th Son). 

Quote from: Wilbur Whateley on June 10, 2024, 10:03:13 AMAwaken The Misogynist must be among the worst band titles ever.

"Bring out the misogynist."

"The misogynists sleeping"

"Well wake him up then!"
Is it even possible for there to be a woke misogynist?

Quote from: Anvil on June 10, 2024, 10:20:14 AMRegarding Holy Smokes by Iron Maiden... Loved it as a kid.   Think I bought the single as well and played the death out of it on a rather shit radiogram we had much to the annoyance of the rest of the family.   But I've always really liked No Prayer for the Dying.  Got it on the day of release and was the third Maiden album I ever listened to (after Live after Death and 7th Son). 

I love No Prayer and Fear Of The Dark. I never understood the criticism to be honest. They aren't on par with the 80's classics, but they are much better than people give them credit for.

In 1990 I was at the start of my journey and seeing Holy Smoke on The Beat Box every Sunday morning back then was incredibly exciting. The Maiden tapes I got back then were No Prayer, Seventh Son and Number of the Beast. But to be honest, back then I ended up as more of a fan of the album covers than the music. I was obsessed with Metallica and to my 8 year old ears the American accent was needed to make metal truly exotic and otherworldly. I think the English toff accent of Brucie was a bit of a turn off for me back then and the bands that really clicked were the American ones. But sure, America was the be all end all back then. It was the future!

I haven't heard No Prayer in decades at this stage so I should return to it and see if it's daycent. I think Fear of the Dark is deadly (probably ten years since I've listened to it actually!), so there's every chance No Prayer will hit the spot too.

No Prayer went too far into pub rock territory for my liking, even at the time it was a huge letdown. FOTD began to move back in the right direction but was still subpar. Bruce's vicals were generally poor across both too, with a couple of exceptions.

As for Holy Smoke, the cover of All In Your Mind on the B-side was better.