Btw before someone chimes in just stream it, I'd rather tear the house apart :laugh:  and find the cd to play in the car.
Streaming me hole. :o

I'll listen to Garage Inc over Load/Reload any day of the week.

I do think the four Motorhead covers are shit, and I'm not fond of the Mercyful Fate Medley.

The Diamond Head covers are class, particularly The Prince, and Hetfield's voice sounds great on Tuesday's Gone and Loverman. Astronomy, Turn the Page and Sabbra Cadabra are great also.

I actually quite like their version of Whiskey, but yes it was painful to listen to the RDS crowd constantly shouting for it. Two years in a row.

Think I'll lash it on this evening if I decide to go down the cans road. Hopefully it's holding well because after years of sticking up for the Loads (mostly the first one tbf) I had them on a while back and I think age is not being terribly kind to them bar a few songs

Quote from: Giggles on March 19, 2023, 05:25:31 PMI'll listen to Garage Inc over Load/Reload any day of the week.

I do think the four Motorhead covers are shit, and I'm not fond of the Mercyful Fate Medley.

The Diamond Head covers are class, particularly The Prince, and Hetfield's voice sounds great on Tuesday's Gone and Loverman. Astronomy, Turn the Page and Sabbra Cadabra are great also.

I actually quite like their version of Whiskey, but yes it was painful to listen to the RDS crowd constantly shouting for it. Two years in a row.

Their version of Astronomy is class and I think easily surpasses the original

https://youtu.be/HSLJydRNgXQ

I'm not sure if many of ye have heard this but this is the best version of Justice with bass imo. He has used some of the original bass tracks for some of the songs.
The first time I listened to this with proper headphones it was like discovering it all over again.
My favourite Metallica album and I feel that this is where melodic death metal began.

20230319_192638.jpg

Well I found it, plus I also have the dreaded single. :laugh:

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on March 18, 2023, 01:49:00 PMKill 'Em All is amazing though. Love his vocals on it throughout.

Yeah his vocals on this are unreal. It's a pity it's my least favourite of the first 4 but the vocals are deadly on it.

I'm always switching my favourite between the first four. The ideal would be an album of KEA's energy, sound of RTL, MOP's songwriting, and Hetfields AJFA vocals

Quote from: blessed1 on March 19, 2023, 07:21:37 PM

https://youtu.be/HSLJydRNgXQ

I'm not sure if many of ye have heard this but this is the best version of Justice with bass imo. He has used some of the original bass tracks for some of the songs.
The first time I listened to this with proper headphones it was like discovering it all over again.
My favourite Metallica album and I feel that this is where melodic death metal began.

Must have tried about ten of those justice for Jason things over the years and they do give a great excuse to run through the album again but I always end up thinking that the original mix is where it's at in all its stone cold glory.

Thinking of KEA and the vocals on Motorbreath take some beating

#219 March 19, 2023, 09:52:23 PM Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 09:56:10 PM by leatherface
I bought 'Garage Days'  back then as an EP, still have the tape. 'The Small  Hours' is overlooked.

Well I just listened to the two discs of the 97 or 98 version and I didn't overlook The Small Hours at all. Class tune on there.

Here's a couple of things I was thinking:

The Metallica version of The Wait is far far better than the original and that's coming from someone who loves Killing Joke there's no contest though.

The two discs of Garage Inc if they were taken purely objectively and entirely on their own merits (same thing but doubling down for effect) are better than Black and the Loads put together.

Anyone fancy taking that one on?

QuoteThe two discs of Garage Inc if they were taken purely objectively and entirely on their own merits (same thing but doubling down for effect) are better than Black and the Loads put together.

Anyone fancy taking that one on?

It's a bit of a sweeping statement, the short answer for me would be it isn't better than Black + Loads Put together. There's sections of the record that would lay the others to waste but I'm rolling with your criteria here of taking the two discs as a whole. I think the original Garage Days is untouchable; Helpless, The Wait, Small Hours etc but there's some real vomit and inconsistency there. Whiskey is stomach churning but another track that seems to escape the same critique is Tuesday's Gone, if I never hear their version of that track again that'll be ok with me. In fact, it's the first disc that commits the most crimes, the Discharge cover is a poor choice, certainly a poor choice of opener. I'm almost forgetting the Nick Cave cover, butchered! Then the metal stuff on that disc like the Mercyful Fate stuff comes across as workmanlike and pointless.

The second disc as mentioned works better, I am fond of a lot of those b-sides and the first Garage Days ep so it's great to have those in one collection, but then the Motorhead stuff is tacked on at the end and is as pointless as the Mercyful fate medley. All in all it's something I rarely reach for.

No need to discuss the Black Album, it is what it is. But the Load/Reload records are the last time the band gave a shit about what they wrote. It's the natural endpoint to their musical evolution. It's far too bloated but there's some great tracks across the two records, and some of the ones I didn't rate at the time have grown on me, Carpe Diem Baby for example. They sound far more natural than anything they've put out over the last twenty years or more.

If you don't fancy reading all that Load has Outlaw Torn. Therefore Load > Garage

Second disc is certainly far better but other than whiskey I like the first too. I think it helps that I didn't know any of the originals when it came out so couldn't tell if they were being butchered or not and that's likely what went against whiskey as well was that I did know it well.

Thoroughly enjoyed lashing it on last night and still buzzed harder off it than last time I heard the two Loads although maybe adding Black in there was a step too far.

Probably a bit apples and oranges putting original material against covers anyway but when I don't know the originals it might as well be their own stuff to me

Quote from: Pagan Saviour on March 20, 2023, 07:23:06 AMWhiskey is stomach churning but another track that seems to escape the same critique is Tuesday's Gone, if I never hear their version of that track again that'll be ok with me.

What's so stomach churning about Whiskey? I don't think it's a bad cover. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it, but I don't mind when it comes on.

Garage Inc. 2CD is a great compilation.
I probably wouldn't have appreciated it as much if it was just the first disc, but adding the EP and b-sides on disc 2 was a good call.
The first disc is definitely the best work they've done post-Black album.
And I quite like their Whiskey cover. They had fun with it and didn't take it too seriously. Turn The Page, Sabbra Cadabra and Astronomy are the standouts.

Have they played many (if any) of the covers from disc 1 live, does anyone know?