It's great but just not up the standard of the next three. Rooted in NWOBHM worship (which is no bad thing), yet to find their iwn sound. The bass solo has no place on it and I'm not a fan of The Four Horsemen, but otherwise it's great. Phantom Lord and Jump In The Fire are personal favourites.

It was actually the first Metallica tape I ever got. I had obviously heard them through friends but i can't remember which albums I heard back then- probably Master- and I got Kill Em All, Jailbreak and Blow Up Your Video for my birthday when I was around 8 or 9. Kill Em All blew my mind and the other two hardly got a look in. In retrospect, yes, the following two are better but I think Kill Em All has that nostalgic value for me that pushes it up beside Ride and Master. Justice is cool but my least favourite of the four.

Kill 'Em All was actually the last of the first four that I got, years after the other three. (It was only when I started heading off on the bus to Galway or Dublin that I spent the pocket money on filling the holes in my early metal collection. Picked up the others from local shops or market stalls. Ah the pleasure of coming out of Freebird with a bag full of secondhand metal tapes, wearing out the walkman batteries on the bus/train home.) That's probably why the others hold up better for me, I had the opposite nostalgia effect.

I had Masters at the top of the list for decades but switched to Ride a few years back. It's their only perfect album for me, not a dud on it (Escape is brilliant, shut up) and the best sounding one too.

I was the opposite: Ride was my number one forever until only a few years back when I surprised myself by clicking with MoP as a whole album in a way I never exactly had with RtL.

Kill 'Em All is amazing though. Love his vocals on it throughout.

Leper Messiah and (to an extent, depends on mood) Disposable Heroes let it down for me. The former is just so clunky it takes me out of it, the latter just seems rushed. On the other hand, you have their heaviest song in The Thing That Should Not Be, those first 3 songs are magnificent. Orion speaks for itself, mighty.

It probably flows better as an album than RTL but that one just comes together better for me these days.

Just the sign of truly great music, innit; that even after christ knows how many listens, it continues to resonate in subtly and then sometimes radically new ways. Which is also why I'll never apologize for still talking about Metallica, because they just do embody so many of the mysteries about the creation of art  8)  :abbath:

Quote from: Carnage on March 18, 2023, 02:01:26 PMLeper Messiah and (to an extent, depends on mood) Disposable Heroes let it down for me. The former is just so clunky it takes me out of it, the latter just seems rushed. On the other hand, you have their heaviest song in The Thing That Should Not Be, those first 3 songs are magnificent. Orion speaks for itself, mighty.

It probably flows better as an album than RTL but that one just comes together better for me these days.

I think Disposable Heroes is one of my favourites on MoP but yeah Leper Messiah is a bit pedestrian for me at times. I'd say I've listened to MoP and Justice far more than RTL over the years but I don't think it's because it's worse I just didn't get into it until after the other two

Anytime I listen to the first 3 I try to imagine what it was like back when they were released.
It must have been something amazing heating them as they came out.
MOP is my favourite, it's still fantastic listen.
Kill Em All is savage and then depending on the day it's Ride or Justice.
Having said that,  Creeping Death has to be in my top 5 songs of theirs.

Creeping Death is a fucking unreal tune and contains one of the best 1 minute of a tune imaginable.

Anyway other than that I was wondering:

Is there anyone on the forum here that doesn't like any bit of Metallica at all?

Also garage Inc is decent but no one ever says that

It says a lot about the quality of the first four that people consider songs like Escape or Leper Messiah as lesser songs, while the majority of their peers in the thrash scene were padding 35 minute records with rubbish cover songs.

Yeah that's fair, because there's no way they're bad tunes at all but there's a high bar set with those albums and the peaks are real peaks

Garage Inc. has one decent disc, actually maybe an hour's worth of decent covers. Whiskey In The Jar is irredeemably awful though. To the level of being enough to put me off going to Slane that year - that and the fact that The Cure were playing the same day, though I couldn't get a ticket for that gig.

Whiskey in the jar fries me as well. The time up in the RDS when the crowd gave the whole gig begging for it was one of those embarrassed to be Irish moments for me and I was delighted when hetfield had to come out and say it couldn't be done because of the lighting or pyro.

Still have a soft spot for most of the rest of Garage Inc though. It used to be one of the only things on the jukebox in the local as a teenager so many a punt was spent on it. Suppose it's just a time and place thing for me

QuoteWhiskey in the jar fries me as well. The time up in the RDS when the crowd gave the whole gig begging for it was one of those embarrassed to be Irish moments for me and I was delighted when hetfield had to come out and say it couldn't be done because of the lighting or pyro.

Spot on!

Garage Inc. I had completely forgotten about that album. Have it around somewhere, must dig it out. Was surprised back in the day how much I liked it. Was rooting around hmv or Virgin back then and remember, cool Metallica have a new album I had not heard about.
Got home and realised it was a covers album but still liked it.