'Those About To Die' on Prime is decent enough. Seven episodes in and much better than I was expecting.

A bit of Gladiator crossed with GoT, with some Mad Max style chariot racing for good measure.

"Longmire" - a fairly frustrating watch. Some great performances especially Lou Diamond Phillips, A. Martinez, Peter Weller and Robert Taylor as the titular character

The problem with it is that the show veers from gritty drama to basic police procedural and down into pure daytime soap opera (like "Yellowstone" which I gave up on). There are plot shifts, revelations from out of nowhere and forced character arcs that make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The cinematography of the landscape scenes is fantastic though.

Anyone checked out the new Terminator anime on Netflix yet? It's getting some good reviews. Nothing after T2 was worth bothering with, so I'm approaching with a degree of caution, but I'd love to see a decent, new take on the franchise.

Quote from: John Kimble on August 31, 2024, 05:12:21 PMAnyone checked out the new Terminator anime on Netflix yet? It's getting some good reviews. Nothing after T2 was worth bothering with, so I'm approaching with a degree of caution, but I'd love to see a decent, new take on the franchise.

I watched the first four episodes the other night and thought it was decent. Looking forward to finishing it off

Right, and moving on to Season 2 of the LOTR Rings of Power...any takers yet? Thought BSC would be in on this already. There's three episodes up on Prime.
So I'm one episode in. I thought it was very good. Drifted off towards the end, which I'll have to rewatch tonight. No reflection on the episode itself, I had finished a 12 hour shift at work followed by four cans of strong IPA! But I thought it set things up nicely and was infinitely more interesting than the first few episodes of the first season. I used to be a big Tolkien fanboy in my youth, but that's so long ago now. Is this story based on Tolkien lore or is it just an interpretation?

Blitzed through 'Those About To Die' recently. Really enjoyed it.

And on the last couple of episodes of the latest seasons of 'The Twelve' and 'The Serpent Queen'.

Gonna start into 'Rings of Power' soon.

Quote from: John Kimble on August 31, 2024, 07:09:55 PMRight, and moving on to Season 2 of the LOTR Rings of Power...any takers yet? Thought BSC would be in on this already. There's three episodes up on Prime.
So I'm one episode in. I thought it was very good. Drifted off towards the end, which I'll have to rewatch tonight. No reflection on the episode itself, I had finished a 12 hour shift at work followed by four cans of strong IPA! But I thought it set things up nicely and was infinitely more interesting than the first few episodes of the first season. I used to be a big Tolkien fanboy in my youth, but that's so long ago now. Is this story based on Tolkien lore or is it just an interpretation?
[/quote

Long stort short. it's an interpretation. I watched S1 twice. The first time to get my grievances out of the way, the second to take it on its own merits. Naturally enough I enjoyed it way more second time round.

I'm 2 eps into S2 and it's shaping up to be excellent. The way important character(s) have been introduced or referenced makes it feel part of the canon but it IS doing its own thing. Compared to the 2nd season of House of the Dragon, at least this seems to be on an upward curve.

For the cost and the source material, it should be one of the greatest shows ever. It isn't. But that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed.

Would anyone have any links for watching shows now that flixrave and hdtoday are gone. It's not for me, I'm asking for a friend....

Got delayed by summer holidays and now we're halfway through a re-watch (second re-watch for me) of RoP season 1 before hitting the new one. Looking forward to it. Have avoided all teasers and spoilers, even jumped past yizzers posts once I saw ye were talking about it!  :)

Quote from: Circlepit on September 02, 2024, 10:29:56 AMWould anyone have any links for watching shows now that flixrave and hdtoday are gone. It's not for me, I'm asking for a friend....

https://hdtoday DOT se/home still works for me.

Soap2day gives me no problems but it's only movies I've been after so can't vouch for series

Watched HBO's Crashing. Just 3 seasons and enjoyable enough.

Quote from: John Kimble on August 31, 2024, 05:12:21 PMAnyone checked out the new Terminator anime on Netflix yet? It's getting some good reviews. Nothing after T2 was worth bothering with, so I'm approaching with a degree of caution, but I'd love to see a decent, new take on the franchise.
gonna start this during the week I think. Anyone remember the Terminator series The Sarah Connor Chronicles? I thought that was very good and it gets overlooked in my opinion.

Going to rewatch RoP season one and then take into the second one. Can hardly remember what went on in the first one but I remember enjoying it so hopefully I will again.

2 episodes of The Terminator series left first though and I see the other series mentioned there, the Sarah Connor one which I've never seen any of so I must remember that as well. Are there terminators in it?