In the Terminator series? Doubt it.

A mate worked on TROP series 2, the first time he and his missus have had an onscreen credit together. He doesn't watch it.

Watching Kaos on Netflix with Jeff Goldbum. Stellar cast in it. Retellong of Greek mythology in modern times. It's batshit crazy. First 2 episodes you'll want to give up but it develops into a really good sinister story.

Currently watching and very much enjoying "Monsieur Spade".

Dashiell Hammett's San Francisco private-eye character from "The Maltese Falcon" - Sam Spade - is now retired and living in France, trouble follows him.

Clive Owen plays Spade. Really enjoyable so far. A French-led production so there's not too much dumbing down. No stupid accents. The French characters speak to each other in their native tongue, ditto Algerians etc. - with English subs obviously!

It's on Netflix US so you will need a VPN.

Quote from: astfgyl on September 03, 2024, 10:15:18 PMGoing to rewatch RoP season one and then take into the second one. Can hardly remember what went on in the first one but I remember enjoying it so hopefully I will again.

2 episodes of The Terminator series left first though and I see the other series mentioned there, the Sarah Connor one which I've never seen any of so I must remember that as well. Are there terminators in it?
yea, there are Terminators in it. Lena Heady plays Sarah Connor too.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on September 06, 2024, 11:46:39 AMCurrently watching and very much enjoying "Monsieur Spade".

Dashiell Hammett's San Francisco private-eye character from "The Maltese Falcon" - Sam Spade - is now retired and living in France, trouble follows him.

Clive Owen plays Spade. Really enjoyable so far. A French-led production so there's not too much dumbing down. No stupid accents. The French characters speak to each other in their native tongue, ditto Algerians etc. - with English subs obviously!

Wait, you're telling me this isn't about 80s crisps??

Quote from: Necro Red on September 09, 2024, 10:52:48 AM
Quote from: astfgyl on September 03, 2024, 10:15:18 PM2 episodes of The Terminator series left first though and I see the other series mentioned there, the Sarah Connor one which I've never seen any of so I must remember that as well. Are there terminators in it?
yea, there are Terminators in it. Lena Heady plays Sarah Connor too.

The chick from Firefly was a Terminator in that, wasn't she?

Quote from: StoutAndAle on September 06, 2024, 11:46:39 AMCurrently watching and very much enjoying "Monsieur Spade".

Think it's hitting Netflix/Prime in a few weeks.

#2542 September 15, 2024, 03:27:52 AM Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 12:32:08 AM by Carnage
Watched a couple of short series over the last week:

Shardlake - Tudor period set murder mystery affair, based on the first of CJ Sansom's novel series. It's OK, quite melodramatic and even though it's a few years since I read the book, I remember enough to say that it's been compressed, simplified and altered enough to lose a lot of its impact. The protagonist's character is the main change: in the book he's reserved and compassionate, here he's a zealot and a bully. Still, worth a look at only four episodes.

The other was Manhunt, about the hunt for Abraham Lincoln's assassin and his co-conspirators. Much better, nicely paced and even though it frequently jumps time periods, it suits the storytelling. Tobias Menzies is great and coicindentally, Anthony Boyle is prominent and instantly unlikable in both series. Seven episodes for this one, recommended.

Both Apple series.

I'd be interested in that Abe Lincoln one alright, might give first ep a shot tonight.

Mr Inbetween. Aussie hitman caper. Great stuff.

Quote from: open face surgery on September 15, 2024, 08:13:21 PMMr Inbetween. Aussie hitman caper. Great stuff.

Went very much under the radar. It's class.

Mr. Inbetween is fantastic!
I brought it up here a good while back but it fell on deaf ears.
Shame it only lasted three seasons.

It's based on a movie and character the same fella made years before called The Magician (cause he makes people disappear). Worth checking out also.

I have that lined up, I've seen a few clips from it that looked good.

Quote from: Carnage on September 15, 2024, 03:27:52 AMThe other was Manhunt, about the hunt for Abraham Lincoln's assassin and his co-conspirators. Much better, nicely paced and even though it frequently jumps time periods, it suits the storytelling. Tobias Menzies is great and coicindentally, Anthony Boyle is prominent and instantly unlikable in both series. Seven episodes for this one, recommended.

Watched first two eps of this tonight, good stuff and yeah, Menzies is great in it. Nice rec!  :abbath:

It's decent alright. What I liked about it was that the main event happened in the first episode but there was no sense of anticlimax in the following episodes, quite the opposite if anything. Nice build and progression.

I wonder is it part of an anthology series, along with the (equally excellent) Manhunt: Unabomber series with Paul Bettany from a few years back? The name's hardly a coincidence, memories wouldn't be that short, surely.