Someone recommended Slow Horses on here a while back, so I started into that.
Really enjoying it.
I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Gary Oldman, despite him being pretty much superb in whatever he's in, but I think he's absolutely brilliant in this.

Quote from: jobrok1 on June 01, 2024, 08:43:21 AMSomeone recommended Slow Horses on here a while back, so I started into that.
Really enjoying it.
I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Gary Oldman, despite him being pretty much superb in whatever he's in, but I think he's absolutely brilliant in this.

Slow Horses is excellent.

Rewatched Oj Simpson:Made In America the 30 for 30 doc again. It's absolutely brilliant.

Today I learned that Jesse Armstrong, co-creator of Peep Show, is the creator of Succession.

Started Escape at Dannemora over the weekend. Instantly hooked at the theme tune is 'From the Beginning' from Emerson, Lake & Plamer's Trilogy album! Strong cast, some great performances so far and the cinematography is great! Directed by Ben Stiller and all credit to him so far. It's based on a real life prison escape in 2015 where the inmates were helped by, and pumped, a female prison guard. Hopefully doesn't go tits up as the first few episodes have been great.

Escape at Dannemora is a great watch. Excellent stuff from all involved. Still amazes me that Stiller could direct something like it, after being so used to his usual acting rolls.

The Boys has gone to complete and utter shit..dont think I'll bother anymore...

Haven't bothered with this series. I think Gen V leads into it so I'll watch that first, but I'm in no rush.

Quote from: Carnage on July 08, 2024, 11:09:08 PMHaven't bothered with this series. I think Gen V leads into it so I'll watch that first, but I'm in no rush.

Gen V runs parallel. I think they're supposed to be watched in order of release.

Gen V came out in the gap between seasons of The Boys, so I'd assume familiarity with it would help with this season? Either way, I'm in no hurry to watch either.

#2514 July 09, 2024, 09:34:00 AM Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 09:36:27 AM by ldj
9 episodes into the new season of The Bear, fairly poor so far, I'm not sure anything has happened that has actually progressed the show past the last ep of season 2.

#2515 July 10, 2024, 10:33:34 AM Last Edit: July 10, 2024, 10:35:45 AM by StoutAndAle
Quote from: ldj on July 09, 2024, 09:34:00 AM9 episodes into the new season of The Bear, fairly poor so far, I'm not sure anything has happened that has actually progressed the show past the last ep of season 2.

100%. This season of "The Bear" has nose-dived unbelievably in terms of quality. It has gone from one of the best shows on television to an exercise in nothingness.

I have some thoughts but probably best not to read further if you haven't watched it yet.

Spoiler
1. The opening episode is a 35 minute-long glorified season 1 and 2 recap with cool ambient music.
2. The use of the Fak brothers as comic relief in the first two seasons is fantastic - giving them way too much to do in season 3 makes them look like a piss-poor Laurel and Hardy. Also John Cena as Sammy Fak is a massive stretch.
3. Richie, one of the best TV characters in recent years, has NOTHING to do in this season - except look sad/suicidal.
4. The Tina back-story episode is interesting but it's also way too long.
5. The Sugar/Donna episode in the hospital is shite and way, way too long - they could have split the run time with the Tina episode and made some interesting TV.
6. "HANDS!" "FUCK YOU!" "SERVICE!" "BEHIND!" "CUH-SIN!" "FUCK YOU!" - I get it, Chefs are edgy - my ma was one for over 30 years - but I don't recall her ever threatening people or swearing at people (outside of her children) to that extent.
7. The Brian Koppelman character, The Computer, who is Jimmy's accountant. Never seen before but now, to add another dimension of drama, is horsed into the script. The amount of money that the place loses before it even opens properly would kill most restaurants. There is no way that Carmine can ever pay it off. Surely Jimmy's accountant (who is supposed to be a financial genius) would have warned him off even investing in the place.
8. Carmine has become wholly unsympathetic. As has Sydney.
9. The contract thing. Jesus Christ.
10. The whole of this season could be neatly done in 5 or 6 episodes. The final episode of the season is so drawn out that it becomes a chore. People eating, chefs telling war stories that only chefs will find funny. Will Poulter eating and nodding. Olivia Colman being what Americans think of as posh. Carmine staring at his old, abusive boss from New York for about 15 minutes. When the denouement finally comes it leads to nothing. 
11. The cliffhanger ending. Jesus fucking Christ.

This might all stem from how good the first two seasons are. Christopher Storer got greenlit for season 3 and 4 in the wake of the second installment. Apparently he got FX/Disney to allow him to shoot 3 & 4 concurrently. I reckon that he only had enough material written for one full season - hence the stretching of story/stories. No matter how stylish, it's really flawed.

*Probably best to delete the above if quoting me...  :laugh:  *

[close]

Nail on the head there, regarding The Bear.
Just a lot of nothing really going on.

The Boys is just meandering along this season, too.
I'm still kinda waiting for a decent WTF moment, though.

The latest episode of House Of The Dragon was pretty decent.

Watched "Painkiller" on Netflix. It pales in comparison to the far more accomplished "Dopesick".

The tone of the show is miles off. It tries be an Adam McKay style satire and gut wrenching drama at the same time but the gear shifts do not work at all.

It seems now that every TV channel/streaming service is having parallel ideas and rushing to get their mini-series out first. Do we really need two drama series on the US opioid crisis (plus the new movie "Pain Hustlers") in the space of a year? This one told me nothing new.

See also the two series about Watergate "Gaslit" and "White House Plumbers" that appeared recently.

White House Plumbers was good fun. Theroux nailed how much of a prick G. Gordan Liddy was.

Wow
This was just so well done

The cinematography is excellent, & the editing just sucks you in
So well done

It always amazes me how they capture these shots/videos

Also, the voice-over is very well done
Just enough to drive the story, & let you enjoy it

Very immersive

Spoiler

Long Live Jackson !!!
[close]