Finished S1 of Shogun there tonight. I've enjoyed it, will def be tuning back in when it returns.

Severance S2 coming later this year too, will prob give a second watch to S1 prior, it was class.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 29, 2024, 01:11:28 AMFinished S1 of Shogun there tonight. I've enjoyed it, will def be tuning back in when it returns.

As far as I know, the book ended there and the show is finished now.

oh yeah? Good to know so, cheers. In terms of TV norms, it certainly ended feeling like it was set up to allow for a second season. Might have to re-watch final episode with that in mind then, the way when you're reading a book you know the final chapter is the final chapter which impacts how you interpret it.

From quick scan online, I see that original plan was to end it there, but they don't seem to be 100% closing the lid in the most recent interviews. Maybe they'll decide to hop to one of Cavell's other books and drop a few distant winks back to the Toranaga story..?

I have not read the book or seen the new "Shogun" TV show but my old man read all the Clavell books when I was a kid and had the big VHS box set.

He watched and really enjoyed this new series and said it's far closer to the book than the old Richard Chamberlain version - which I have seen some of. He reckoned that they might do something like "Fargo" and move across the series of books which go all the way to the 20th century.

There're rumblings about continuing it, based on this series' success, but I don't see the point myself. The further into the story I got, the less satisfied I was with it - they basically made Blackthorne a supporting character in his own story, and they left more and more out as it progressed. The Japanese elements were well handled but his side of it was bungled badly. The character was nothing like the book for a start, they turned him into a complete boorish oaf, whereas in the book he picked up the customs and language fairly quickly and became more at home in the Japanese culture.

Leave it be, I sez.

Really enjoyed Shogun. They should leave it at that. Now the authors other books in the series are across centuries so could delve into those.

Fallout was very good. Silly violence galore and Walter Goggins is immense in anything he's in.

Baby Reindeer...mental stuff. It's filtering out the real woman's actually identity now. Checked her out on FB. Actually feel sorry for her, clearly some strong mental health stuff going on there.

Really interesting insight into the way its subject matter affects people (trying not to give away details for anyone who hasn't seen it). That 4th episode, holy fuck that was intense.

I know people who turned it off in THAT episode.
Brilliant show.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: Thorn on April 30, 2024, 09:04:19 PMI know people who turned it off in THAT episode.
Brilliant show.

Also just found out that the main actor is the actual guy that happened to in real life. That was a surprise!

Yeah I was late to that fact too, adds a whole other dimension to it.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Anyone catch 3 Body Problem? Watched the whole first series but not overly taken by it.

¾ of the way through the book at the moment, gonna dive in when I finish it. I've heard varying reports and from the look of the trailer they've westernised it a lot (the book's set in China, every character so far is Chinese).

I really enjoyed 3 body problem and will watch the inevitable second series. Having said that it hasn't been given the green light yet.
For some reason I'm forcing myself to watch Sky High, the Spanish thing on Netflix. It's like there is only about 10 actors in Spain and they are in everything.

Blitzed through season 2 of Halo.
Enjoyed it more than season 1.
Never played the game and never will, but I do like stupid sci-fi.

As of today I'm now tucking into the new season of Clarkson's Farm.

Quote from: jobrok1 on May 03, 2024, 07:11:31 PMBlitzed through season 2 of Halo.
Enjoyed it more than season 1.
Never played the game and never will, but I do like stupid sci-fi.

As of today I'm now tucking into the new season of Clarkson's Farm.

Halo just might be one of the most aggravating shows I've watched. Just get to the shooting for fucks sake!

Fallout was brilliant, nailed the game and the practical FX was savage.