Quote from: Carnage on September 16, 2024, 12:30:36 AMIt's decent alright. What I liked about it was that the main event happened in the first episode but there was no sense of anticlimax in the following episodes, quite the opposite if anything. Nice build and progression.

I wonder is it part of an anthology series, along with the (equally excellent) Manhunt: Unabomber series with Paul Bettany from a few years back? The name's hardly a coincidence, memories wouldn't be that short, surely.

The second season of that was excellent too, about the Atlanta Olympics bombing.

#2551 September 16, 2024, 08:28:17 AM Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 10:42:42 AM by Paul keohane
Watched Wise Guy /David Chase over the weekend,essential viewing if your a Sopranos fan!

I always thought Manhunt: Unabomber was just a stand alone thing.
Must look up the second season.

It was, but it's an anthology series, each season a different case/team. That's what I was wondering though, was the Lincloln one part of that. Haven't seen that Atlanta one, I must give it a look.

Watched that David Chase one over the weekend as well, enjoyable. His voice reminds me of someone though. Scorcese maybe?

18 Emmys for Shogun! I mean, it was good, maybe even great... but it didn't feel like it was record-breaking great.

It's very good but surprisingly, I enjoyed 3 Body Problem and Fallout more. I think they were up for a couple of the same awards.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 16, 2024, 02:56:55 PM18 Emmys for Shogun! I mean, it was good, maybe even great... but it didn't feel like it was record-breaking great.

Aye. It was good but 18 Emmy's good. Then again I'm struggling to think of any other good drama shows during the year.

Still haven't seen 3 Body Problem, but Fallout definitely went beyond my expectations (albeit as someone who never played the game).

I maintain 3 Body Problem is unfilmable if they were to follow the books too closely and I usually hate when TV shows take excessive liberties but with these books you'd have to. And I really enjoyed what they did. It's not for everyone and particularly if you were looking for a rigid adaptation but they really balanced the science with the sci-fi, for me.

I also have no experience with Fallout, the game. Going in blind I'd no expectations but thought it was excellent. Plus, Goggins is magic.

No one was gonna touch Shogun for the production design etc in fairness.

The Bear being classed as a comedy is cheeky as fuck. The most over-hyped show ever.

Sopranos doc was decent, nothing new for the die hards aside from the audition tapes. Chase did an episode of The Southbank Show round season 2 which covered a lot of the same themes.

But thankfully no Schirippa turning up complaining on who big leagued him in Vegas.

Has he got beef with someone on the show? Hadn't heard that.

Shogun was alright, I wouldn't consider it award-worthy though.

FYI, this is the second time that Three Body Problem has been filmed, there's a 30 episode Chinese adaptation that came out a year or two ago. I haven't seen it so couldn't comment on its quality or faithfulness to the source material.

The Chinese version is sticking to the source material extremely rigidly apparently. As in, each chapter gets 40mins an episode. That is way overkill. I couldn't commit to that but the reviews are quite good. I'd be curious how they deal with the proper alien stuff when that kicks off.

The Bear... a comedy! 

Now that's funny!

Quote from: Emphyrio on September 16, 2024, 06:15:43 PMThe Chinese version is sticking to the source material extremely rigidly apparently. As in, each chapter gets 40mins an episode. That is way overkill. I couldn't commit to that but the reviews are quite good. I'd be curious how they deal with the proper alien stuff when that kicks off.

Is it an adaptation of the first book or the trilogy as a whole? I came across it either on the Firestick or HDtoday a while back but I hadn't read the book at that point.

On a related sci fi note, did you take your username from the Jack Vance book?

Quote from: Carnage on September 16, 2024, 06:31:34 PM
Quote from: Emphyrio on September 16, 2024, 06:15:43 PMThe Chinese version is sticking to the source material extremely rigidly apparently. As in, each chapter gets 40mins an episode. That is way overkill. I couldn't commit to that but the reviews are quite good. I'd be curious how they deal with the proper alien stuff when that kicks off.

Is it an adaptation of the first book or the trilogy as a whole? I came across it either on the Firestick or HDtoday a while back but I hadn't read the book at that point.

On a related sci fi note, did you take your username from the Jack Vance book?

I think S1 was 30eps or so, all based on the first book. I'm very curious how they segue from the normal part of the first book into where it all sort of kicks off but 30eps ... You watch it for me and let me know   :laugh:

And yes, I'd just finished a Vance collection at that point.