It's on the list but not too high up, I think I'll finish reading the trilogy before that. I found it annoying that the Netflix series went into the second book when I haven't read it.

Emphyrio is the only Vance book I've read, but I enjoyed it.

In all honesty I didn't get a huge amount out of Jack Vance's stuff. The ideas are often superior to their execution.

I was fortunate that the books were recommended to me a couple of years ago, so I had them finished before the series was announced. I'd be very annoyed having seen spoilers in the show before reading the second book.

Annoyingly, I read the blurb for the first book a few years ago, suggested it to my boss (who also likes his sci fi), he went and read them in quick succession and highly recommended them to me. I waited until the Netflix series to get on with reading the first one despite having it on the shelf for a year or two, so it's on me that I'm behind there.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on September 15, 2024, 11:09:23 PM
Quote from: Carnage on September 15, 2024, 03:27:52 AMThe other was Manhunt, about the hunt for Abraham Lincoln's assassin and his co-conspirators. Much better, nicely paced and even though it frequently jumps time periods, it suits the storytelling. Tobias Menzies is great and coicindentally, Anthony Boyle is prominent and instantly unlikable in both series. Seven episodes for this one, recommended.

Watched first two eps of this tonight, good stuff and yeah, Menzies is great in it. Nice rec!  :abbath:

Finished this tonight, both of us enjoyed it a lot, nice amount of variety and overall really well made and performed.

Watched the first episode of The Penguin with Colin Farrell. If the whole season is like that we're on to a winner.

Yeah I really enjoyed the first episode. Farreel is fantastic in it.

A good start, love the upgrades they made to the makeup on Farrell too. One thing that bugged me is now that they seem to have more daytime scenes, the Volume stage footage is more noticeable, but it's probably a trade off since they shoot in New York which is expensive as fuck.

The Batman was a grand flick, but Farrell and Dano were the standouts from it.
Gonna wait for the show to run it's course and binge it, I reckon.

On the fourth episode of For All Mankind, it's really good. The premise is that the Soviet Union landed on the moon first, as a result the space race was a higher priority than it was in reality. Interesting stuff and Joel Kinneman is actually pretty good in it.

Watched the first episode of Bodkin having heard nothing about it at all. Curious enough to see how it unfolds and, surprisingly, it's not hugely annoying which can often be the case with Irish productions.

Tis pure grand, as you say yourself  :)

Pure grand is pure grand, says you.

Just a tad late to the party but watched the first episode of The Sopranos last night, pretty good, lets see if the whole shabang lives up the hype.

I'm not the only one then!
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Such a great show. One episode didn't click for me but the rest was engrossing.