#690 June 26, 2020, 11:59:04 PM Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:58:41 PM by mugz

I hear that, too. And yet as an example of Industrial in it's purest form it is truly beautiful

Quote from: astfgyl on June 26, 2020, 11:42:04 PM
I really like industrial. The idea of it more often than the actual tunes admittedly, but there is some truly transcendent stuff out there. A favourite of mine is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKHH-vXxSzo

Beautiful and disgraceful at the same time; it really pushes the idea of beauty and horror at once.

That sounds for all the world like Glass's work for Koyaanisqatsi, but cranked through an old valve speaker with a ripped cone at full gain.

It's certainly the most beautiful example of Industrial music I've heard so far

Here is an actual debatable opinion, instead of 'I don't like this band'.

Ignoring the fact that they almost definitely had no interest in this, but hypothetically, with the right marketing, and maybe a change of name, The Devil's Blood could have been pitched as Florence and The Machine for goth girls, and been a lot more popular than they were.

The Devil's Blood. I bought their first album off the back of an article or review by Jon Horsley in Terrorizer, but hated it immediately. Mentioned it on their forum and he offered to buy it off me as he'd lost his copy (I'd long since traded or sold it at that stage). Could never get into them despite liking the idea of them.

TDB were great.  I haven't had them on in years,  actually.  Their gig in The Pint was savage

Quote from: Crystal_Logic on July 02, 2020, 02:53:00 PM
Ignoring the fact that they almost definitely had no interest in this, but hypothetically, with the right marketing, and maybe a change of name, The Devil's Blood could have been pitched as Florence and The Machine for goth girls, and been a lot more popular than they were.

The only comparison I can see between TDB and Florence is that neither are particularly heavy, but other than that, no similarities whatsoever. Maybe as a result of their image, and their association with heavy metal acts, there were certain preconceptions that they would be much heavier than they actually were, which was an occult rock band taking its cues from a classic rock sound. I liked some of their stuff, not a huge fan by any means, but I thought they were quite unique for a certain period of time, until the clones started to materialize.

Middle period Darkthrone is where the goods are.

which albums? Like Panzerfaust til The Cult.. is what I would consider mid period. You could be on to something......

I'd go even more recent. The Underground Resistance is my go to Darkthrone album.

Quote from: astfgyl on July 07, 2020, 12:05:09 AM
which albums? Like Panzerfaust til The Cult.. is what I would consider mid period. You could be on to something......

I count Panzerfaust amongst the classics, and The Cult as a start of the New Era. Everything inbetween just slays without breaking any new ground.

Definitely would prefer Darkthrone's  more recent stuff these days, I left the frostbitten forests behind a long time ago,  swapped em for a dark, dingy tavern where denim and leather abound and the two boys dig out those dirty great eighties infested riffs  for those of us spilling spilling sloppy pints and banging our bald patches.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Quote from: mugz on June 25, 2020, 05:07:47 PM
Quote from: Blackout on June 25, 2020, 01:39:16 PM
We are the Night is a very underrated chemical bros album.

until recently I didn't know 'dad rave' was a thing, felt old when the girl at the check-out struck up a conversation about music with me.

'Oh the prodigy? my dad loves them- my older sister loves to tease him about his dad rave records!'

middle age is terrible. In my head the best rave stuff still sounds fresh and futuristic, but I can't imagine how it sounds to today's young people.

That sounds mental to me, the prodigy been "Dad Rave" they were the only real band I can think of who universally appeal to basically everyone and had such and edge that I don't hear in any new bands.
Play the Academy July 13th

Pity the Sadness and As I Die are the only two good songs on Shades Of God.

I remember as a young lad, being really into Gothic and Icon but when a friend gave me a lend of Shades Of God I just couldn't get into it at all. It had a kind of meandering, almost bluesy groove to it that just seemed to be at odds with the metallic goth of the other albums.

Last week, after watching an interview from that era on YouTube, I put it on with the hope of it finally clicking but no. A transitional album that would have been better off as an EP.