I think the earlier stuff is supposed to be a bit more varied, no?

Or the live record No Sleep til Hammersmith, though it may ruin the studio versions for you!

Not really arsed with the pedal to the metal stuff.  I've heard enough of that side of their sound and it's too samey for me,  that's why I was thinking that their earlier gear might have a bit more variety/nuance.

Overkill is their second (released, their first recorded album was shelved for years)) album and there's plenty of variety on it IMO. Ace Of Spades is their fourth, so there's not much in it, but Overkill is their best I reckon.

Isn't a lot of the reverence for Lemmy also based in the fact that he always came across as an absolutely sound bastard?

Pretty much, and he helped out loads of bands as they were coming up etc. Every scene has its grandfather figures.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 20, 2020, 10:30:40 PM
Not really arsed with the pedal to the metal stuff.  I've heard enough of that side of their sound and it's too samey for me,  that's why I was thinking that their earlier gear might have a bit more variety/nuance.
Ah, fair. Another Perfect Day might be worth checking out, it was a fairly divisive album when it was released but it's probably their most varied album, has Brian Robertson from Lizzy on guitar too.

#727 July 20, 2020, 11:43:36 PM Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 12:04:02 AM by leatherface
Motörhead were awesome. Lemmy was put on a pedestal in recent years (mostly by peers) but the mainstream never really paid attention.  They were in The Young Ones, and on TV sometimes ('Never Mind the Buzzcocks' anyone remember that?), Lemmy was even on RTE once (at a festival, and not impressed by the guest 'fan' interviewer, I remember he said something like "are you the most interesting man in Ireland?"😂) but that's about it.
Favourite albums; 'Bomber', 'Orgasmatron', '1916', 'Ace of Spades'

Quote from: leatherface on July 20, 2020, 11:43:36 PM
Motörhead were awesome. Lemmy was put on a pedestal in recent years (mostly by peers) but the mainstream never really paid attention.  They were in The Young Ones, and on TV sometimes ('Never Mind the Buzzcocks' anyone remember that?), Lemmy was even on RTE once (at a festival, and not impressed by the guest 'fan' interviewer, I remember he said something like "are you the most interesting man in Ireland?"😂) but that's about it.
Favourite albums; 'Bomber', 'Orgasmatron', '1916', 'Ace of Spades'

It used wreck Lemmys head that the newer albums never got the recognition they deserved and he had a point  - we are motorhead, bastards and inferno all had some unreal songs - not classic albums but still very, very good

Bastards is pretty good to  be fair. The brother insisted I listen to it a few years ago and he isn't any great Motorhead fan

Yeah Bastards is great but I don't really go for much Motorhead otherwise, I mean they're grand and all, wouldn't give out if someone had it on at all but I wouldn't be actively putting them on meself.  Except Bastards, I right enjoy that, great album, bar the complete bag of shit that is "Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me".

Quote from: ochoill on July 21, 2020, 05:05:11 PM
Yeah Bastards is great but I don't really go for much Motorhead otherwise, I mean they're grand and all, wouldn't give out if someone had it on at all but I wouldn't be actively putting them on meself.  Except Bastards, I right enjoy that, great album, bar the complete bag of shit that is "Don't Let Daddy Kiss Me".

Lemmy said that was one of his favourite songs that he ever wrote. Tbh that and lost in the ozone sound like the same song. It's a good song to these ears though.

I watched that wrestler Triple H give a eulogy at Lemmy's wedding and he managed to come off as a normal human being paying tribute to an extraordinary one. I've never really cared for the music, but yeah, seems to have been one in a million by all accounts.

Ah yeah lemmy is a fuckin legend.