Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on May 02, 2020, 03:35:07 PM
I have no recollection of anything rhythmically interesting happening at the level of the vocals, but I'm not a good judge; I never got anything more than the novelty value of Meshuggah's wow factor, always got bored of them by day two or three of trying.
I think it's just the staccato of the vox over the music, but yeah it all got very samey to be honest. They sound massive live but are boring to watch. I'd probably listen to the Special Defects album more than Meshuggahs latter stuff these days.
Morgen Agren is a superb drummer

I have no recollection of anything rhythmically interesting happening at the level of the vocals, but I'm not a good judge; I never got anything more than the novelty value of Meshuggah's wow factor, always got bored of them by day two or three of trying.

Have you tried "I" at all? I reckon if there is nothing you like in those 20 minutes it just isn't for you

Edit: I meant to say I think the vocals are not great as well but sometimes the music is so good that it doesn't matter

I went to see a headline show of theirs in Paris, living with a guy who was obsessed with them at the time, and I really enjoyed and sank right into the whole extreme bio-tech future culture vibe (cannabis assisted, of course). But then over the next few days back in the flat, still wasn't getting any staying power out of the recorded output.

Ah sure fuck it then, we all have things like that. It's a bit like meself with Megadeth and Judas Priest. No matter how much it's recommended or explained to me, it just doesn't stick.

Yeah if you perceive something a particular way then that's how it is.

Bar a few songs Motorhead are just a bad pub band playing shitty blues rock and their music is almost completely meritless to my ears and no one will ever change my mind on that.

Regarding Motorhead, while nearly every album is full of filler, Ace of Spades is without a doubt one of the greatest Rock n' Roll albums ever recorded.

If you put together the rest of their material you would have another few stellar full lenghts.

Quote from: astfgyl on May 03, 2020, 09:44:37 PM

Have you tried "I" at all? I reckon if there is nothing you like in those 20 minutes it just isn't for you

Edit: I meant to say I think the vocals are not great as well but sometimes the music is so good that it doesn't matter

I bought "I" based on the review on MI, which I thought was impressive at the time. This lead to a purchase of "Catch 33" which was just more of the same but even longer with no variation to my mind. Not my thing at all

I'd heard Chaosphere and didn't really love it, but "I" got me into the idea and I still love it and as you say Catch 33 is just more of the same and even longer with less variation but it's my favourite of them all.

In a way it is like an Earth album or something as in waiting for things to happen yields very little result but just letting it happen can be a quite hypnotic experience. There is a sort of magic eye picture element to it as well, once you see it but you have to not focus on it for it to become apparent.

I seen them last time they were here and it was class but they're not a band I'd sit down and listen to. That song Combustion is deadly though, always thought they should do more melodic riffs like that.

Iron Maiden aren't a metal band.  They're a hard rock band with some heavy metal imagery. It only takes two minutes of listening to them to hear this.

That's not controversial,  just retarded.

I think the new version of Blackened is horsehit

Controversially, I actually quite enjoyed it.

Would have been better if it was just James on his own. I'd still be interested in hearing a Hetfield solo album. He should have made one years ago.