I thought Reload was the left over stuff and that was the known story from the beginning? St Anger has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, not even not being a rehash gives it any merit at all. It is just awful. And I ran to the shop to buy it on release day. Fair fucking scalded with it.

Reload has some right stinkers on it as well though to be fair but now I'm looking at the tracklist, I don't mind Fuel, Devil's Dance, Better Than You, Slither, Carpe Diem Baby, Bad Seed, Where The Wild Things Are, Prince Charming, Attitude and Fixxxer off that album so I suppose I don't really think it's bad at all. I can't abide The Memory Remains, Unforgiven II or Low Man's Lyric, but that's only 3 out of 13 that I really can't stick so not bad for a latter era Metallica Album.

I suppose it's controversial to say I liked Hardwired.. and didn't see much wrong with it at all.

Quote from: astfgyl on April 23, 2020, 04:33:09 PM
I suppose it's controversial to say I liked Hardwired.. and didn't see much wrong with it at all.

I saw someone say recently that it could be cut down to a solid 8 song album. I think that's a good way of putting it. Pretty much all the second disc is filler apart from Spit Out the Bone.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 23, 2020, 12:00:10 PM
Jazz is without a doubt, overall, the most pretentious of all genres with the possible exception of classical avant-garde. And I like jazz, I even started the Newpark music school...but left it because Guilfoyle was so insufferably pretentious!

Haha. 5 of my mates from home went to Newpark Jazz college. None of them pretentious but all great players. Must say, despite my limited knowledge on the genre as a whole, I do love jazz.

People are pretentious regardless of what genre of music they're into. At least jazz players can play.

Quote from: Anton Arcane on April 23, 2020, 04:43:11 PM

I saw someone say recently that it could be cut down to a solid 8 song album. I think that's a good way of putting it. Pretty much all the second disc is filler apart from Spit Out the Bone.

I do agree with that element of things, there was no need whatsoever to stretch a double album out of it

Quote from: Anton Arcane on April 23, 2020, 04:43:11 PM

Think I feel like that about every Metallica record after Master of Puppets to be honest. I know Justice is solid and they were really going all out on the prog so I'll give that a pass, but even St. Anger would have been decent at forty minutes and with decent production (even the rehearsal DVD the realised as a bonus disc was better), songs like Some Kind of Monster are class when you here the four-minute edits. Too much of their later stuff is at AJ4A-length songs but without enough going on to keep hold of you. The real strength of the stuff on Load and Reload is in the songwriting, especially when they've added the symphony or made it acoustic, Bleeding Me is a real highlight for me and personally one of my favourite songs.

#216 April 23, 2020, 05:34:53 PM Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:38:11 PM by astfgyl
The 2 original tracks on S+M were decent now you mention it. I like pretty much all of Load as well. Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Half Torn are 2 examples of long songs that don't get boring.

In retrospect The Black Album started bloating out the song writing but they got away with it with deadly songs. Load has some cool songs on it but they tend to be way too long and just go round in circles.  Same with modern day Maiden. 4 minute songs all dragged out for 8 minutes until you can't take anymore. The choruses used like a form of Chinese water torture...

Quote from: open face surgery on April 23, 2020, 05:18:07 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 23, 2020, 12:00:10 PM
Jazz is without a doubt, overall, the most pretentious of all genres with the possible exception of classical avant-garde. And I like jazz, I even started the Newpark music school...but left it because Guilfoyle was so insufferably pretentious!

Haha. 5 of my mates from home went to Newpark Jazz college. None of them pretentious but all great players. Must say, despite my limited knowledge on the genre as a whole, I do love jazz.

Almost everyone in my year was sound, the teachers and heads less so.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on April 22, 2020, 08:36:24 PM
Gonna have to give Reinventing a listen tomorrow for the first time in maybe 15 years now.

Thanks for your uncontroversial opinions back there fellas! You've set us "mongos" off to have a rare old time of air guitaring!

There was much better stuff in there than I recalled, and I could remember much more of it than I was expecting. Gonna give it another whirl actually!

Really? I can't remember anything about it being decent. Has time somehow been kind to it?

Not exactly controversial but the only Megadeth albums worth listening to after Rust In Peace are Youthanasia and The System Has Failed.

Don't rate Countdown to Extinction at all. Sweating Bullets is a very very annoying song!

Apart from a couple of duds I think Countdown is a great album. Songs like the title track, Architecture of Aggression and Foreclosure of a Dream are incredible I think. 

As an aside,  I just had a look at their MA page and,  correct me if I'm wrong,  but isn't the dude at the back of their new band pic one of the MacPoyles??

I'd say you were being generous with 3 albums, I wouldn't listen a full album after RIP. I went to the trouble of listening through their post-RIP discography a few years back and made a compilation from the songs I'd rate from each. I think the most I got from any individual album was 4 or 5, and that was only a couple of albums.

Up to and including Youthanasia is pure gold lads. Everything after that went from patchy at best to outright woeful.
Was actually blasting Countdown earlier and there are some absolute bangers on there. Architecture Of Aggresion, Ashes In Your Mouth, Countdown To Extinction and, yes even, Symphony Of Destruction... All top drawer stuff.