To get the thread back on track... I loved Reinventing the Steel :laugh:

If came out not long before my Leaving Cert, was my first experience of drinking cans in the sunshine, kicking a ball around a park and one of the lads having it on a boom box.

Was a big fan as a young lad,,Cowboys from Hell,Vulgar and Far Beyond driven  were spun regularly.Theres a lot of hate for them in certain quarters alright,some people lumped them in with the rise of Nu metal.

Quote from: Ducky on April 22, 2020, 04:51:26 PM
To get the thread back on track... I loved Reinventing the Steel :laugh:

Now that really is controversial! I was patiently waiting for that to release having been into them for years at that stage and my god was I disappointed with every song on it.

I have to give them credit for releasing an album like that in the midst of the nu-metal peak, which in fairness was unashamedly metal. But the songs were just shite. Completely unmemorable, I'd be hard pressed to remember anything off that album.

Quote from: Paul keohane on April 22, 2020, 05:06:08 PM
Was a big fan as a young lad,,Cowboys from Hell,Vulgar and Far Beyond driven  were spun regularly.

This, Vulgar particularly. Right place, right time for me. I hate his vocals on FBD though. Never bothered with the pre-CRH albums, what Ixve heard from them wasn't great.

The last two albums were crap, though. Reinventing is one of the worst albums I've heard full stop.

Quote from: Carnage on April 22, 2020, 02:01:40 PM
They desperately needed a second guitarist though, when he was off soloing they sounded so weak.
That was actually one of the things I liked about them, it gave the songs a bit of variety instead of guitar at the same level all the way through. There was always a kick when he went back to rhythm. Bobby G era Overkill used to do that a bit too.

The closest I got to a ritual in the 90s was watching those home videos on repeat  :laugh:

Just on Pantera, anyone else see that new Covid themed  t-shirt, cover of Vulgar complete with PPE glove on the clenched fist and PPE mask on the face getting the smack.
Wording?
Be Yourself By Yourself Stay Away From Me

Can't remember where I saw it, might have been that godawful  EMP merch site
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

They were savage in their day. Reinventing the steel is better than the great southern trendkill.

I kind of liked Reinventing but it was only really because I was such a big fan, moreso in my younger years, and I really wanted to like it because all things Pantera were an event for me back then. But realistically, Reinventing is below average with a few catchy dumbass moments. Strange how uninspired it was on the back of TGSTK, which was a bleak and creative beast (bar Drag the Waters,  which always sounded to me like a poor rewrite of Mouth for War).

Gonna have to give Reinventing a listen tomorrow for the first time in maybe 15 years now.

Thanks for your uncontroversial opinions back there fellas! You've set us "mongos" off to have a rare old time of air guitaring!

Just having a flick around their discography for the first time in a while - I forgot how irredeemably shite Far Beyond Driven is.

FBD is the business.  It was so dark and heavy to me at the time. I remember coming back from an athletics event on the bus and getting the driver to stick on the Metal Show.  Myself and my mate had our ears pinned to the speakers when JK announced a new Pantera song! He played Slaughter and myself and my pal were just completely floored. I was beginning to dip my toe into death metal around then and this sounded to my very tender earball like death metal.  I loved the album when I got the tape too. 

Recently made a Pantera best-of for the car. Less than 20 songs which tells how patchy their output is over the course of their career but fuckin hell, those songs are deadly for blaring out the window on a summer's day.

I loved the sludge creeping into their sound on FBD, Anselmo's doing I assume.