Megadeth are boring anyway, that's about the height of that.

Re. Mastodon - I used to think Leviathan was their best album but nowadays have drifted way more towards Crack the Skye, having hated it when it first came out it has seriously grown on me.

Crack The Skye's my favourite alright, though I didn't like it at first either. For the first four albums, I was always one behind in coming to like them, i.e. I only got into Remission when Leviathan came out, only got into that when Blood Mountain came out, etc. The Hunter was the first one I liked on release, despite the drastic change in style.

Crack the Skye is a masterpiece. I've never minded the style change over the years because they still make good tunes, their new stuff isn't far removed from Lizzy tbh.

I think on Blood Mountain they just experimented maybe a bit too much.

Aye Crack the Skye is their masterpiece.

The last one is the only one that hasn't really grabbed me TBH, that and the pre-Remission stuff.

I like Leviathan and a bit of Blood Mountain but I find all the rest of it boring. They are always threatening to do good things in the tunes but never really get there. I don't find the hidden depths in the tunes to keep me coming back for more. Ah well.

I remember on the old forum there was a thread about Megadeth's Tornado of Souls, and I listened to it and couldn't see what the big deal was. That was rather an unpopular opinion at the time, but maybe one has to be a guitarist to understand the big deal with it or something like that

Pretty much agree with Carnage. I think Once More 'Round the Sun is their best since Leviathan. For me it kinda has the "Load/Reload Effect" - they didn't care about their previous sound or "going soft" and sound like they made the music they wanted to make at the time, and it's all the better for it (actually spinning it now with sitting in the back garden with a cold beer - brilliant).

As for Megadeth being boring, I dunno how anyone can't listen to Chris Poland or Marty Friedman and not have their jaws on the floor (and I say that as someone that can barely string a few chords together).

Blood Mountain I never really got into, The Hunter took a while to click to, being so very different to Crack the Skye, but apart from that I've loved every Mastodon release upon first listening. Leviathan is still top of the pile for me though; just absolutely everything about it, music, lyrics, art, concept, production, I get absolutely sucked in from the first notes every time.

I had Crack the Skye on alternating rotation with AoP - White Tomb for weeks when they came out. Can't remember the last time I listened to the latter. I can't pick a firm favourite at this stage cause I just go down a rabbit hole when I start listening to them.

I'd prob take Emperor of Sand over Once More 'Round the Sun. On a side note, the riff behind the solo on Ember City is one of the greatest things ever. So simple but it genuinely evokes some strange emotion every time I hear it.

Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on April 22, 2020, 10:52:56 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on April 22, 2020, 10:27:44 PM
Pantera were fucking class. Nu metal my hole.
Who da fook mentioned Pantera and Nu Metal in the same sentence?  :abbath:

You just did ye cint

Some popular bands I don't like:

Scorpions
Solstice
Type O Negative
Guns 'N Roses
The Cure
Motley Crue
Anything played entirely on a keyboard (dungeon synth and such)
Most American thrash
All but a few doom band
The entire genre of sludge metal. Especially Crowbar.

That should do for now.

Quote from: Anton Arcane on April 24, 2020, 01:29:50 AM
Jake E. Lee is better than Randy Rhoads.

Would 100% agree. Also The Ultimate Sin is the best Ozzy album.

Crowbar are excellent.
The last mastodon is shit and blood mountain is shit.
Leviathan is the best followed by crack the skye.

Right, here's something I don't know how controvertial it is, but it's only my perception of it. 

Virtually all classic thrash metal bands reached a point where their riffs, tones and overall composition would be easily interchangeable if wasn't for their iconic singers. They sound like the exact same band if you could change the vocalist, and even the vocal placement is incredibly similar.

Those bands were instantly recognizable in their early albums, but you get Exodus, Kreator, Destruction, etc etc and they all have the same predicatable chord progression patterns. I'll give the devil's his due that tones were influenced by newer technology but the composition itself is far more stale than in any other metal subgenre. And by that I mean the classics in other genres and not newer bands...

Few exception here and there but it seems to me it's the stem of heavy metal who suffered the most with overclassification of metal subgenres.