Oh the Deicide debut is impeccable, lightning in a bottle. Nothing else they've done has been in any way interesting to me.

Dawn is still Immolation's masterpiece to me, which is probably controversial to some here, though they're consistently great. But that album blew my mind when it came out.

@carnage, I got given a similar tapebwhen I was in first year of secondary school, but instead of Deicide the pairing was Slowly we Rot and Severed Survival.

Never really jived with Deicide outside of The Greatest Fluke in Metalâ„¢. 

Debuts from Immolation, Incantation, Suffocation, Autopsy are all in a different league to Deicide's blatant Reign in Blood (minus the amazing drumming) worship.

Blatant Reign in Blood worship almost sounds like it's intended  as an insult. Thankfully we all know better than that  8)

Amon: Feasting the Beast is death metal above and beyond criticism.

Fucking hell, are they giving out blowjobs for being wrong or what Ducky?

Horses for courses and all that, but for me Deicide's debut doesn't come close to either Altars or Scream. Or Reek. Or many others. I was never a big Deicide fan though. Sure fuck it, while we're being controversial, I'll even go so far as saying I think Eaten Back To Life is a better DM debut!

#1715 July 21, 2024, 12:52:01 PM Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 01:05:37 PM by The Wretch
'Deicide' is pure fucking savagery. More meat and potatoes than MA certainly - although far more accomplished than people seem to imagine - and obviously the songs are nowhere near 'Reign...' but for pure aggression and kick in the bollocks riffing, those early Deicide albums take some beating. Sadly it all went tits up after 'Serpents' IMO. I know the likes of 'Stench...' have their fans, and I guess it is well crafted modern DM, but it doesn't feel like Deicide to me.

Also, anyone who was lucky to catch them back in the day with the Hoffman brothers might recall they had a genuine air of menace and violent tension that was utterly intoxicating. Benton might be cuddly Uncle Glen now, but back then, they weren't fucking around live, they went direct for the jugular, and took no prisoners.   

For sheer, unrelenting power, boundless energy and hostility, they were a genuine force. I can barely think of anyone else that comes close, that I have seen anyway, aside from obviously Slayer at their best, nobody beats that. 

I like a lot of the earlier CC stuff, but compared to Deicide in their prime? No. Not even in the same league as far as I'm concerned. Although certainly more consistent in the long run.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on July 21, 2024, 12:22:49 PMBlatant Reign in Blood worship almost sounds like it's intended  as an insult. Thankfully we all know better than that  8)

Amon: Feasting the Beast is death metal above and beyond criticism.

It is an insult when someone's reaction to hearing a band's peak is "I'd prefer to listen to the chaps who did it years earlier, and much better".

Quote from: Pentagrimes on July 21, 2024, 10:43:44 AMI got given a similar tapebwhen I was in first year of secondary school, but instead of Deicide the pairing was Slowly we Rot and Severed Survival.

Here's one for the thread: pre-split Autopsy were shite, their best work comes after the reunion.

Quote from: The Wretch on July 21, 2024, 12:38:34 PMFucking hell, are they giving out blowjobs for being wrong or what Ducky?

I wish  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Part of my thing is I discovered all of these bands out of sync and largely of my own accord - my first death metal record was Scream Bloody Gore in 1998, the same year I "discovered" metal properly. And I had little regard or knowledge of any of the bands' reputations or standings, they fell under "music I might like, so I'll give them a shot".

RiB was already well established in my head as the album to top, so when I heard the Deicide debut for the first time circa 2001 all I could hear was a watered down take on RiB.

#1719 July 21, 2024, 01:36:35 PM Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 01:39:37 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Carnage on July 21, 2024, 01:33:50 PMHere's one for the thread: pre-split Autopsy were shite, their best work comes after the reunion.

Ah, that brings back memories of the Tez forum mate...  :laugh:

You were wrong then, and you are wrong now.  :laugh:

Actually no, that's not entirely accurate. I would say their post reunion stuff is certainly ahead of Acts Of The Unspeakable (even if that is somewhat underrated if anything) and definitely Shitfun. But the first two are bona fide classics of DM.   

Are you a fan of the Abscess stuff at all?

Yeah I think the sound of your Nan taking a tumble down the stairs is more palatable than Shitfun in fairness.

The Tomb Within and Macabre Eternal are great records, but man, Severed Survival is a perfect death metal album. Probably my favourite "straight up" DM release.

I've never listened to Abscess, I always assumed they were Autopsy under a different name. I suppose I should check them out.

I bought Cause Of Death, War Master and Mental Funeral on the same day (in Freebird, I'd say a lot of us can thank them for providing our early tape collections), listened to them on the train home. COD and WM were instant favourites and still are, but MF did nothing for me so I wrote them off and traded the tape to a mate.

I tried them again over the years, tastes changing and all that but my reaction was always the same. When they reformed curiosity got the better of me and I found myself loving the new material, and I reckon everything they've done since is good to great. The old stuff still does little for me, I tried Severed Survival again when they started putting out new stuff and hated it. That being said, I listened to Mental Funeral about a year ago and found myself coming around to it a bit so I might give SS and Acts another go. I refuse to entertain Shitfun on general principle.

[/quote]

Here's one for the thread: pre-split Autopsy were shite, their best work comes after the reunion.
[/quote]
Quote from: Carnage on July 21, 2024, 01:33:50 PM
Quote from: Pentagrimes on July 21, 2024, 10:43:44 AMI got given a similar tapebwhen I was in first year of secondary school, but instead of Deicide the pairing was Slowly we Rot and Severed Survival.

:o holy shit

It is controversial alright. Fuck me. Mental funeral is insane and pisses over any reunion album.

Quote from: Carnage on July 21, 2024, 02:15:17 PMI've never listened to Abscess, I always assumed they were Autopsy under a different name. I suppose I should check them out.

I bought Cause Of Death, War Master and Mental Funeral on the same day (in Freebird, I'd say a lot of us can thank them for providing our early tape collections), listened to them on the train home. COD and WM were instant favourites and still are, but MF did nothing for me so I wrote them off and traded the tape to a mate.

I tried them again over the years, tastes changing and all that but my reaction was always the same. When they reformed curiosity got the better of me and I found myself loving the new material, and I reckon everything they've done since is good to great. The old stuff still does little for me, I tried Severed Survival again when they started putting out new stuff and hated it. That being said, I listened to Mental Funeral about a year ago and found myself coming around to it a bit so I might give SS and Acts another go. I refuse to entertain Shitfun on general principle.

I'll toot about 'til the day I die - the "amputation for your rations!" line in Severed Survival's title track is one of the greatest moments in death metal.