I'm not sure about the top 5 for me.

Scream and Leprosy would probably be the top two though I reckon. Whittling down so many greats from the 80's and early 90's to the last three though... And then there are the early grind classics. 

Leprosy, Left Hand Path, Cause Of Death,
Blessed Are The Sick and either War Master or Symphonies Of Sickness, depending on my mood. Fuck it, I'm having a top 6.

Altars is MA's best album

BATS is a beaut of an album, but I'm all about debuts ;)

Up there with Deicide S/T & Slowly We Rot, & Like An Everflowing Stream/Left Hand Path/Dark Recollections
And Symphonies (not a debut!)

And my bit of controversy - Death are overrated  :)
Spiritual Healing/Leprosy are the best albums, followed closely by Human

I'm a Death fanboy, and find both Leprosy and Spiritual Healing tough-ish listens due to Bill Andrews' drumming (there's a theme emerging here :laugh: )

Really wish Refiert had stayed on for those albums as he's ferocious on SBG, but then we may not have got the best death metal debut of all time in Severed Survival

Never got the hate for The Sound of Perseverance. It's fucking deadly.

Quote from: Ollkiller on July 20, 2024, 07:59:40 PMNever got the hate for The Sound of Perseverance. It's fucking deadly.

Fact.

I find ITP and TSOP unlistenable. Too wanky and all over the place, and his vocals on TSOP are atrocious. Symbolic is decent, a bit more straightforward but nowhere near the level of the first four.

Love Symbolic. TSOP is too far off the beaten track and was never a fan of Richard Christy's drumming.

Quote from: The Wretch on July 20, 2024, 08:28:47 PM
Quote from: Ollkiller on July 20, 2024, 07:59:40 PMNever got the hate for The Sound of Perseverance. It's fucking deadly.

Fact.

Joining the TSoP love-in here. Was my favourite of their's for a long time, but it could've used an editor (like say how Flesh and the Power It Holds meanders for no reason).

Possibly a controversial take - A Moment of Clarity is their best song.

#1704 July 20, 2024, 10:14:02 PM Last Edit: July 20, 2024, 10:17:48 PM by Circlepit
Individual Thought Patterns is the best of the wanky ones. It's also the first Death album I heard and it took a while to click.

I'd prefer the first 3 Obituary to the first 3 Death albums.

Quote from: open face surgery on July 20, 2024, 05:28:40 PMAltars smokes every Death album.

Nothing controversial about that, totally agree.

Decide s/t, blessed are the sick, autopsy mental funeral, pestilence testimony of ancients, here in after immolation, Top 5 early 90s of the top of my head.

Younger head, fell ass backwards into DM so had established so favourites by the time got to obituary & death.

Throwing the 2nd time ghoul ep in as my fav DM release. 2 of the best DM songs ever recorded. No doubt if there was a full album they'd be spoken about alongside the likes of aforementioned bands.

Fadó fadó, a mate gave me a tape with Slowly We Rot on one side and Deicide's s/t on the other. My verdict was favourable toward Obituary and (I remember this distinctly) calling Deicide "morons with guitars". I actually like the Deicide s/t more than SWR these days (SWR's prodution is atrocious) but I stand by the description.

I love every single Death album, something I obviously can't say about MA. As for deciding whether the best of one (in any given month) is better than the best of the other (in any given month), I'm not sure I could slice it (though again, depending on the month  :laugh: ).

For years I'd ignored Deicide as the person I would borrow tapes from back in school said they were shit.
Of all the DM bands theirs and the Immolation debut are the ones I reach for the most often nowadays.

Nothing controversial about it really.

None of the current crop of " big " DM bands will ever be spoken about with the same level of reverence and fanaticism as old guard.

By no means am I saying they are shit or rehashing old ground blah blah blah.
Christ I've turned into such a cliche.