More of a what if than a controversy. Atilla definitely brings something of his own to that record. I listen to all of the live albums regularly and those songs are special regardless of who did the vocals.

I think Atilla's vocals are amazing. They take getting used to but they make that album completely unique. Dead had a cool voice but was more typical.

Sure, but I don't think those vocals were considered typical at the time?

I think Dead's vocals can be easily traced to the likes of Quorthon, and also sat comfortably alongside Varg and Nocturno Culto in terms of delivery. He had his own sort of rawness, no doubt but Atilla's style was completely out there and it would be hard to find another comparable singer in metal operating at that time.

Oh yeah, Atilla is 100% unique and I've never seen anyone try to emulate him either. Not shitting on him, guess we'll never know. I still do that what if thing a lot when listening to the Dead stuff. The studio tracks he did are as close as we'll get.

Controversial metal opinions: Atilla's vocals are the worst thing about Mayhem, and Maniac is the only decent vocalist they've ever had. Atilla sounds like a severely constipated Dave Mustaine and is fucking hilarious as a result. The only listenable version of DMDS is the instrumental version, and Grand Declaration is their best album. Dead was shite.

....and breathe...

My daughter, not a black metal fan in general, announced to me on Sunday that she'd been checking out Mayhem lately (presumably random tunes on Spotify) and while she really liked the tunes off Deathcrush, she thought the vocals on the other stuff were absolute bollocks.  :laugh:

I like Atilla's vocals, but he sounds like your da stuck in the porch drunk during a lot of De Mysteriis and I'll never not laugh at the "In the middle of Transylvania" line delivered like a cartoon villain. 

Quote from: Carnage on October 04, 2023, 03:20:51 AMControversial metal opinions: Atilla's vocals are the worst thing about Mayhem, and Maniac is the only decent vocalist they've ever had. Atilla sounds like a severely constipated Dave Mustaine and is fucking hilarious as a result. The only listenable version of DMDS is the instrumental version, and Grand Declaration is their best album. Dead was shite.

....and breathe...

I like the vocals on dmds but they are definitely hilarious at the same time. Also love A Grand Declaration as much as DMDS but it's like a different band altogether and there's no real point in comparing the two

I think Attila is pretty cool and like his vocals, but I prefer MANIAC. Dead though was something else; if he didn't kill himself it might be interesting to see what MAYHEM would have done with him over the years.

Here's one, "WAR Metal" is a load of Bollox. BLASPHEMY and REVENGE are very possibly the 2 best and coolest most metal band names, but neither of these bands do shit for me. I'll add BEHERIT to that as well, they are even worse. Sloppy boring shite. Even the newer bands in this style like Diocletian I don't get. Teitanblood would be the only exception for me, they are actually an interesting listen.

Wouldn't count Beherit or Blasphemy as war metal personally and I've a soft spot for both, but yes, otherwise wholeheartedly agree. Uniformly cobblers, absolute zero imagination dullard bullshit

I don't think I've heard any of this war metal stuff

Deathcrush is class musically but Maniacs spastic wailing ruins it for me.

#1064 October 08, 2023, 11:54:22 PM Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 09:31:08 AM by Mithrandir
Quote from: Danny on October 08, 2023, 02:47:46 PMI think Attila is pretty cool and like his vocals, but I prefer MANIAC. Dead though was something else; if he didn't kill himself it might be interesting to see what MAYHEM would have done with him over the years.

Here's one, "WAR Metal" is a load of Bollox. BLASPHEMY and REVENGE are very possibly the 2 best and coolest most metal band names, but neither of these bands do shit for me. I'll add BEHERIT to that as well, they are even worse. Sloppy boring shite. Even the newer bands in this style like Diocletian I don't get. Teitanblood would be the only exception for me, they are actually an interesting listen.

I hate the term 'war metal'. I know it's a thing, but I just find it cringe.

The first Diocletian was probably a little on the nose but I think they did something distinct on War Of all and Gesundrian, Among the flames is absolutely dogshit.

Drawing down the moon is one of the best black metal albums of all time.

Here's maybe a controversial one, I'd rank powerslave last of the 5 Bruce 80's albums.