A politician's answer

Quote from: The Heretic on September 03, 2024, 11:27:52 PM335k bike shelters..

And the government watchdog are saying to rein in plans for a giveaway budget.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-41468755.html

On a tangent here (but slightly related), sad to see these restaurant closures on almost a daily basis. Business owners calling for a reduction in the VAT rate but falling on deaf government ears. Predictably enough, the govt will cite a loss to revenue as being a reason not to reduce the rate but yeah, we can splash the cash on a bike shelter when it suits. It all seems very short-sighted...yeah, reducing the VAT rate will undoubtedly have a knock-on effect but so too will businesses closing down and the resultant unemployment of staff etc. I've lived most of my life between Cork and Dublin, and both cities (and their towns) have become almost unrecognisable. Aside from the pubs, it's just an endless supply of mobile phone and vape shops, shitty takeaways and discount stores.

Quote from: The Heretic on September 03, 2024, 11:27:52 PM335k bike shelters..

Saw that on the news last night, they also mentioned something about a 2 million euro printer last year... Something is rotten

Quote from: John Kimble on September 04, 2024, 09:53:43 AMhttps://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-41468755.html

On a tangent here (but slightly related), sad to see these restaurant closures on almost a daily basis. Business owners calling for a reduction in the VAT rate but falling on deaf government ears. Predictably enough, the govt will cite a loss to revenue as being a reason not to reduce the rate but yeah, we can splash the cash on a bike shelter when it suits. It all seems very short-sighted...yeah, reducing the VAT rate will undoubtedly have a knock-on effect but so too will businesses closing down and the resultant unemployment of staff etc. I've lived most of my life between Cork and Dublin, and both cities (and their towns) have become almost unrecognisable. Aside from the pubs, it's just an endless supply of mobile phone and vape shops, shitty takeaways and discount stores.

I've lived most of my life up the other end in Sligo and it's the exact same. Bar the shitty takeaways, even they're mostly gone (and good luck to getting a curry chip after the pub now too).

Last 10 years or so Dublin has gotten so bad. Constant hotels going up, venues closing down, anything with a bit of character like the Smithfield market, Screen cinema are gone, massive increase in the junkie population...I just avoid the place apart from gigs and the days I have to go in the office

Why is there always some cunt that jumps to the front of the bus queue and then stands saying "after you" and motioning with their hand like they're doing everyone a favour? Fuck off  >:(

Quote from: Ducky on September 04, 2024, 02:05:26 PM
Quote from: John Kimble on September 04, 2024, 09:53:43 AMhttps://www.irishexaminer.com/business/companies/arid-41468755.html

I've lived most of my life up the other end in Sligo and it's the exact same. Bar the shitty takeaways, even they're mostly gone (and good luck to getting a curry chip after the pub now too).
Quote from: Trev on September 04, 2024, 02:17:27 PMLast 10 years or so Dublin has gotten so bad. Constant hotels going up, venues closing down, anything with a bit of character like the Smithfield market, Screen cinema are gone, massive increase in the junkie population...I just avoid the place apart from gigs and the days I have to go in the office

Welcome to North Tipperary!

Or pretty much anywhere in the country. Place is fucked and it's death by 1000 cuts rather than any one thing. The only common denominator is government.

Ah here lad, I've been to Templemore and Thurles. Both could only be enhanced by the opening of dodgy vape shop!!

Go to Tipp Town, lad. Reset everything you know.

I actually excluded Tipp Town as it's technically South Tipp (I think?!)
But yes, I've been...and er, yeah...'nuff said.

#6086 September 04, 2024, 08:28:05 PM Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 08:32:30 PM by Bürggermeister
South Tipp is the only real Tipp. The other bit is East Galway. Falsers, the lot of them.

Quote from: Ducky on September 04, 2024, 02:05:26 PM

I was up for Whiplash there and I couldn't believe the four lights was closed after the pub. the only place I could find open was the place beside McHughes.

Quote from: Bürggermeister on September 04, 2024, 08:28:05 PMSouth Tipp is the only real Tipp. The other bit is East Galway. Falsers, the lot of them.

Steady on now, as an east Galwegian I can tell ya we don't want any association with the north Tipp crowd, dodgy as fuck the whole lot of them.

Quote from: John Kimble on September 04, 2024, 08:11:37 PMAh here lad, I've been to Templemore and Thurles. Both could only be enhanced by the opening of dodgy vape shop!!

We are all North Tipperary now. That's how fuckin bad things are. Think of the list:

(in whatever voice you imagine DEATH speaking in on the Discworld)

ROSCREA
NENAGH
THURLES
BORRISOLEIGH
THE RAGG
HORSE AND JOCKEY
LITTLETON
FETHARD ;)

Some fuckin rogues gallery