Just seen Mastodon have a new album out next month called Hushed and Grim, single and artwork has been released.

The art is pretty cool, kinda Game of Thrones-y, it was done by Paul Romano who did the art for the first 4 albums.

Not sure what to think of the single yet, it's more dissonant than the stuff they've been doing the last few years, but with a melodic Brann Dailor chorus which I think they've been relying on a bit heavily on the last few.

Hopefully the album is good anyway.

https://youtu.be/haT5ars6RXc

Class artwork. Given that song a few listens now and I'm really liking it. Main riff is very reminiscent of the Remission/Leviathan era style but works great with Troy's hoarse sounding vocals. The clean chorus does distract from the song a bit alright though.

#2 September 11, 2021, 10:56:12 AM Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 11:58:59 AM by Anton Arcane
I'm not the biggest Mastodon fan in the world but I like that track. I'm getting a bit of a Killing Joke vibe off it.

Sounds good but yeah, the chorus seems out if place, like it was lifted from another song. Not bad, though.

Good tune. Early period mixed with later period, will make for an interesting album if that's the vibe they explore for the whole thing.

Always felt like these lads haven't quite fulfilled their potential but maybe they have and that's it

Another new one. Something not quite like anything we've heard from them before. I'm digging it a lot this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx1L2XW1N0c

Really enjoyed both of those new tunes, that bass solo section in the newest one was unexpected and absolutely class.

Reminds me of recent Alice In Chains, definitely the most commercial thing they've done to date. Not bad though.

Really enjoyed that, seem to be one of the few bands left that put a bit of effort in their videos too and don't just go for the lazy lyric vid approach

Quote from: Bigmac on October 01, 2021, 09:09:27 AM
Really enjoyed both of those new tunes, that bass solo section in the newest one was unexpected and absolutely class.
Yeah, I think Sanders is really underrated as a bassist, he's got such a knack for knowing when to hold it down and when to add the right amount of flash and melody

At this point I'd be shocked if they released something I don't like.

It's up on Spotify. Just started it but not gonna make it the whole way through it tonight. As was evident with the preview tracks, a very clean but big and heavy production.

Sound. May be just what I need to keep plugging away for another hour and a half!