Admittedly it was well into 1998 before I became acquainted with this gem. Could hardly believe my ears when Night's Blood burst out of the Sound Cellar's speakers. A quarter of a century later it's still in my top five metal albums of all genres with my favourite Necrolord artwork to boot. It's so far superior to their debut it's hard at times to imagine it's the same band. Any other fans?

Amazing album,really is a stone cold classic.

It's a spectacular album. The Somberlain is pretty high up there too though. !

Really good album. I'd still pick Somberlain over it any day of the week but it's still great

I could never warm to the Somberlain in quite the same way. Black Horizons and the title track are as good as anything on their magnum opus but none of the remaining tracks packed quite the same punch. I've had this conversation with many friends of mine who are evenly split over which of the two they'd rank higher.  One thing's for certain. It must've been something else being old enough to appreciate Slaughter of the Soul, Storm of the Light's Bane and the Gallery being released within the space of a fortnight. Not sure we'll ever be as lucky again.

Quote from: vinterland on November 17, 2020, 03:32:29 PM
I could never warm to the Somberlain in quite the same way. Black Horizons and the title track are as good as anything on their magnum opus but none of the remaining tracks packed quite the same punch. I've had this conversation with many friends of mine who are evenly split over which of the two they'd rank higher.  One thing's for certain. It must've been something else being old enough to appreciate Slaughter of the Soul, Storm of the Light's Bane and the Gallery being released within the space of a fortnight. Not sure we'll ever be as lucky again.

Yes, many have tried and failed to replicate what was done on that album. Somberlain just isn't as good.

By the way are you familiar with the band TrveSovereign?

Never heard of them but will throw on later. Cheers for heads up. \m/

Quote from: Cailleach on November 17, 2020, 04:21:27 PM

Yes, many have tried and failed to replicate what was done on that album. Somberlain just isn't as good.

By the way are you familiar with the band TrveSovereign?

#9 November 17, 2020, 04:42:40 PM Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:59:14 PM by Shane

It must've been something else being old enough to appreciate Slaughter of the Soul, Storm of the Light's Bane and the Gallery being released within the space of a fortnight. Not sure we'll ever be as lucky again.
Songs off the 3 albums were  on one of the Terrorizer cds back in the day!,fuckin blew my 16 year old mind!

I was somewhere between Sepultura, Sodom and Kreator at the time so had no idea of either the black or death metal genres from a melodic viewpoint. I can only imagine how that Terrorizer CD would've sounded with tracks from those three seminal releases all of which have stood the test of time.

Quote from: Paul keohane on November 17, 2020, 04:51:51 PM
It must've been something else being old enough to appreciate Slaughter of the Soul, Storm of the Light's Bane and the Gallery being released within the space of a fortnight. Not sure we'll ever be as lucky again.
Songs off the 3 albums were  on one of the Terrorizer cds back in the day!,fuckin blew my 16 year old mind!

Quote from: vinterland on November 17, 2020, 08:38:19 AM
Admittedly it was well into 1998 before I became acquainted with this gem. Could hardly believe my ears when Night's Blood burst out of the Sound Cellar's speakers. A quarter of a century later it's still in my top five metal albums of all genres with my favourite Necrolord artwork to boot. It's so far superior to their debut it's hard at times to imagine it's the same band. Any other fans?
Thats debatable as they are both amazing releases and I hate picking between the two of them as they are both that good and not much separates them.
I tend to listen to Somberlain more than storm as I like the instrumental stuff from Zwetsloot and the album feels a little bit darker. The Somberlain art work is legendary also.

According to Dan Swano they were really hung over for Storms recording which made the recording a little bit more  aggressive which worked out nicely.