Quote from: open face surgery on November 18, 2020, 06:21:57 PM
Amazing album. The alternative mix is also savage. Was only made aware of it a few years back. Higher drum mix and just sounds more violent.

Yes! The alternative mix is unreal. The rawness suits the songs a lot better. It comes as a second cd on some reissues.

All the Dawn material is great, as is the first Sacramentum LP. I even have a soft spot for the post Dissection band, Soulreaper. The 'Life Erazer' is more of a straightforward death metal album, but the instrumental parts and certain riffs have the Dissection feeling.

Stone cold classic. So glad I saw them before the drama. Never heard the alternative mix. Will get on that.

Are you lads talking about a Storm alternatove mix or Sacramentum? Dawn Slaughtersun an unreal album.

Quote from: Pedrito on November 18, 2020, 09:07:02 AM
And for all the snobbery, Slaughter of the Soul at the time was just immense. The tune on that compilation 'Under a Serpent Sun'..pure class

I'm not into the Slaughter of the Soul disparagement. It was a ground-breaking album, regardless of what desecrations were later committed on that ground. But Storm of the Light's Bane is more comparable to The Red In The Sky imho, in terms of energy, sonic aesthetic, etc.,... and all the better for it.

Quote from: Pedrito on November 18, 2020, 11:14:49 PM
Are you lads talking about a Storm alternatove mix or Sacramentum?

Storm Of The Light's Bane, the 2006 reissue.

Jaysis must give that a blast.

I had forgotten that Andy LaRoque played the solo on ATGs' Cold...in what alchemists cave was that lad spawned? Reading here that they bumped into him in a supermarket and asked him if he would add a solo on the album. He recorded it and it was so good they contemplated not including it because of how difficult it would be to play live.

Quote from: Pedrito on November 19, 2020, 09:10:53 AM

https://youtu.be/Mvv_Nb5MKQ0

Some performance here.

Have this on VHS at home signed by Shagrath and Silenoz after the EDT gig in Leeds. Unforgettable performance by both bands. Cradle would've performed at the same venue as part of their Dusk and her Embrace tour. Would've been some occasion to have been present at.

Jesus that remastered version is blistering. What a performance by the drummer.

DAWN were great alright,  Slaughtersun as mentioned is excellent and the SORGH.... EP they did is cool too.  The drummer Asklund went on to play on Reinkaos and the tour of course, and there was talk years back of Dawn getting going again but it never happened unfortunately...

Unanimated is the other standout in this era of course for any who haven't heard Ancient God of Evil...

Quote from: vinterland on November 17, 2020, 10:34:56 PM
Quote from: Blizzard Beast on November 17, 2020, 09:20:04 PM
Quote from: Paul keohane on November 17, 2020, 04:51:51 PM
Quote from: vinterland on November 17, 2020, 03:32:29 PM
It must've been something else being old enough to appreciate Slaughter of the Soul, Storm of the Light's Bane and the Gallery being released within the space of a fortnight. Not sure we'll ever be as lucky again.
Songs off the 3 albums were  on one of the Terrorizer cds back in the day!,fuckin blew my 16 year old mind!
That was one of the best comp cds ever released Id say.

It seems to have been the first ever CD compilation released with Terrorizer. The previous two were cassettes!

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Noize-Pollution-3/release/997123

Bought so many great albums on the strength of that CD. Apart from the Akhenaton album. They stuck the only good song on that Terrorizer CD, the rest was shit.

#42 November 20, 2020, 07:39:24 PM Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:43:44 PM by Blizzard Beast
Quote from: Floss on November 20, 2020, 01:41:53 PM
DAWN were great alright,  Slaughtersun as mentioned is excellent and the SORGH.... EP they did is cool too.  The drummer Asklund went on to play on Reinkaos and the tour of course, and there was talk years back of Dawn getting going again but it never happened unfortunately...

Unanimated is the other standout in this era of course for any who haven't heard Ancient God of Evil...
His drumming is excellent on that tour and Reinkaos.
Dissection have been somewhat blessed(in sin) with drummers  as Ohman and Kelgren 's drumming was also excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHYwKTMdrc&t=1s

Quote from: Mower Liberation Front on November 20, 2020, 04:40:20 PM
Quote from: vinterland on November 17, 2020, 10:34:56 PM
Quote from: Blizzard Beast on November 17, 2020, 09:20:04 PM
Quote from: Paul keohane on November 17, 2020, 04:51:51 PM
Quote from: vinterland on November 17, 2020, 03:32:29 PM
It must've been something else being old enough to appreciate Slaughter of the Soul, Storm of the Light's Bane and the Gallery being released within the space of a fortnight. Not sure we'll ever be as lucky again.
Songs off the 3 albums were  on one of the Terrorizer cds back in the day!,fuckin blew my 16 year old mind!
That was one of the best comp cds ever released Id say.

It seems to have been the first ever CD compilation released with Terrorizer. The previous two were cassettes!

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Noize-Pollution-3/release/997123

Bought so many great albums on the strength of that CD. Apart from the Akhenaton album. They stuck the only good song on that Terrorizer CD, the rest was shit.
I bought that cd Divine Symphonies album which I found quite good,Wasnt mad on the later stuff.

Quote from: Floss on November 20, 2020, 01:41:53 PM

Totally forgot about Unanimated. They're probably marginally below some of the aforementioned bands but their first two albums are definitely worth investigating. Was supposed to see them at Netherlands Deathfest earlier this year where coincidentally Sacramentum were also going to give a full rendition of FAFTS. Will have to settle for Walpurigsnacht next year all going well.