Quote from: Paul keohane on November 17, 2020, 04:51:51 PM
Quote from: vinterland on November 17, 2020, 03:32:29 PM
It must've been something else being old enough to appreciate Slaughter of the Soul, Storm of the Light's Bane and the Gallery being released within the space of a fortnight. Not sure we'll ever be as lucky again.
Songs off the 3 albums were  on one of the Terrorizer cds back in the day!,fuckin blew my 16 year old mind!
That was one of the best comp cds ever released Id say.

Johan Norman that played on the Storm album has a new album out with Trident called North which has some Dissection type tracks on it which arent bad.
Black Horizons from Germany did a great Dissection type album a dreams funeral that's well worth checking out.

Quote from: Blizzard Beast on November 17, 2020, 09:20:04 PM
Quote from: Paul keohane on November 17, 2020, 04:51:51 PM
Quote from: vinterland on November 17, 2020, 03:32:29 PM
It must've been something else being old enough to appreciate Slaughter of the Soul, Storm of the Light's Bane and the Gallery being released within the space of a fortnight. Not sure we'll ever be as lucky again.
Songs off the 3 albums were  on one of the Terrorizer cds back in the day!,fuckin blew my 16 year old mind!
That was one of the best comp cds ever released Id say.

It seems to have been the first ever CD compilation released with Terrorizer. The previous two were cassettes!

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Noize-Pollution-3/release/997123

Yeah thats the one,first time hearing The Crown too!,fuckin great cd!

Somberlain is a great listen but it is an album with lots of melodic interludes. A far more misanthropic sounding album and a real masterpiece.

Storm is a band that has just unleashed itself, no holding back, everything poured into the record, blood, sweat and guts. Like the man said I was obsessed with it. There are loads of great albums from that time but I'm not sure if any came as close to pure perfection as that one in terms of everything..image, vibe, musicianship, the vocals are incredible, the artwork, the lyrics..masterpiece. Another level altogether. Even the flippin album title: 'Storm of the fucking light's bane'..I'm still not quite sure what it means but it's just epic in every sense of the word.

Finding an album that can instantly transport you to another dimension, a completely different world, change your mindset, your attitude, how you approach the day, your entire mood..are there many like that in all reality? There are plenty that are a great listen but Storm has something metamorphic to it, some underlying magic emanating from it. Must stick it on asap.

And for all the snobbery, Slaughter of the Soul at the time was just immense. The tune on that compilation 'Under a Serpent Sun'..pure class

Totally agree on Slaughter of the soul ,fuckin amazing at the time.

Quote from: Pedrito on November 18, 2020, 08:19:19 AM
Somberlain is a great listen but it is an album with lots of melodic interludes. A far more misanthropic sounding album and a real masterpiece.

Storm is a band that has just unleashed itself, no holding back, everything poured into the record, blood, sweat and guts. Like the man said I was obsessed with it. There are loads of great albums from that time but I'm not sure if any came as close to pure perfection as that one in terms of everything..image, vibe, musicianship, the vocals are incredible, the artwork, the lyrics..masterpiece. Another level altogether. Even the flippin album title: 'Storm of the fucking light's bane'..I'm still not quite sure what it means but it's just epic in every sense of the word.

The last paragraph more or less sums up my feelings for SOTLB perfectly. It's entirely thanks to Judas that I listened to it in the Sound Cellar in the first place. Another album which ticks a lot of the same boxes is Sacramentum's "Far away from the Sun." It's not quite as good as Dissection in their prime but would share many similarities. Eventually reissued on Century Media. It almost goes without saying that "Welcome my Last Chapter" should also form part of the bucket list as we are on the subject of melodic black metal.

Finding an album that can instantly transport you to another dimension, a completely different world, change your mindset, your attitude, how you approach the day, your entire mood..are there many like that in all reality? There are plenty that are a great listen but Storm has something metamorphic to it, some underlying magic emanating from it. Must stick it on asap.

Quote from: vinterland on November 18, 2020, 12:41:33 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on November 18, 2020, 08:19:19 AM

The last paragraph more or less sums up my feelings for SOTLB perfectly. It's entirely thanks to Judas that I listened to it in the Sound Cellar in the first place. Another album which ticks a lot of the same boxes is Sacramentum's "Far away from the Sun." It's not quite as good as Dissection in their prime but would share many similarities. Eventually reissued on Century Media. It almost goes without saying that "Welcome my Last Chapter" should also form part of the bucket list as we are on the subject of melodic black metal.

I had Sacramentum Far Away and coul never get away from the feeling of them being a clone. Listening to it here with fresh ears it's very impressive. I wonder how it was received at the time? Was it seen as being a clone or simply didn't get noticed?

I definitely didnt see them as a clone,even though that terrorizer comp was my first introduction to Sacramentum.I didnt pursue the bands releases until years later.
Are they one of those bands that should have been bigger than they were?.
They seem to just go under the radar a bit alright.

Amazing album. The alternative mix is also savage. Was only made aware of it a few years back. Higher drum mix and just sounds more violent.

#27 November 18, 2020, 06:51:40 PM Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:56:32 PM by vinterland
Quote from: Paul keohane on November 18, 2020, 05:08:50 PM
I definitely didnt see them as a clone,even though that terrorizer comp was my first introduction to Sacramentum.I didnt pursue the bands releases until years later.
Are they one of those bands that should have been bigger than they were?.
They seem to just go under the radar a bit alright.

Adipocere Records were never going to have the marketing prowess of Nuclear Blast, Century Media or Peaceville so Sacramentum's full length debut definitely didn't get the recognition it merited upon its release in 1996. I was unable to acquire a copy until 2013 when Century Media did what is does best and exposed this masterpiece to a whole new audience. I only recently discovered they made a video for Fog's Kiss, the album opener.

Another great band from around that time was Dawn.

Quote from: Cailleach on November 18, 2020, 07:08:22 PM
Another great band from around that time was Dawn.

Slaughtersun is outstanding. The vocalist Henke Forss also did vocals for In Flames on their Subterranean EP. Naglfar's Vittra and Noctes' Pandemonic Requiem also well worth a shout. Wish both would've stuck with the respective formulae on their subsequent releases.