#1725 January 26, 2024, 06:52:13 PM Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 07:21:32 PM by Thorn
Yeah ,you can't beat it, I have three of them in the house so the collection always gets priority while YouTube listening can be done at work (intermittently!)
I'd love to go back to the days of opening up the Argos catalogue and seeing page after page of flashy, hi tech, sub woofer, 5cd trays stereos and hifis...there's a token one or two now, almost an embarrassed little afterthought for the people who would still use those things
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

I got one recently, a hand me down from my sister (who got it from my brother, who got it from a cousin). Grand job, 3 CD tray, 2 tape decks (though they won't be used, I'll be getting rid of my tapes soon enough), no turntable but I despise vinyl so that suits me. Like that, I play more albums through now and pay more attention to them than when I'm playing stuff from the phone to a sound bar or speaker. I did get a bluetooth receiver to connect it to my phone but I haven't used it much TBH.

That's it , there must be heaps of them sitting gathering dust in gaffs around the country. Even as many being fucked in skips no doubt.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

I've been on the cds for ever but I did go through a stage of having no cd player for about a year other than the laptop. Have about 4 of them now not to get caught again! As is being said, it makes me listen to full albums, which is where it's at really

The smell of leeks cooking in butter

Nice. Can't beat an aul leek fondue either, slowly reduced in butter, cream, dab of mustard, and a dash of white wine.

I'm leeking just thinking about it.

Quote from: mishima on January 26, 2024, 06:23:11 PMAcquired a new hi-fi for myself recently. Mostly for my CD collection, which I felt was being neglected. I had been looking for something decent that wasn't a portable or music played through PC speakers. Plus the thoughts of streaming from my phone to Bluetooth speakers or the likes just doesn't appeal to me. Grand for getting you out of a tight spot, of course. Spent a fair bit of time going down the separates rabbit hole but couldn't decide on a particular combination.
Eventually settled on a Panasonic job. CD/USB/Bluetooth/aux in/optical in etc. Can hook the TV up to it as well. Class stuff. Really good sound, to me anyway. Unlikely to get the YouTube audiophile chaps worked up, but still.

Like I say, I felt that my CD collection was being neglected (especially my recent purchases) and I wasn't listening to entire albums so much. I definitely wanted to get back to that.
And I have done. And it's bloody brilliant.
Just the act of putting on a CD, sitting back with the laptop and editing photos or reading is a tonic.

Can I ask which Panasonic model is it?

Quote from: mishima on January 28, 2024, 11:03:02 AM
Quote from: The Heretic on January 28, 2024, 09:21:49 AMCan I ask which Panasonic model is it?

'Tis this one:

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/hi-fi/sc-pmx92.html

Thank you, that looks like a nice piece of kit! Ive been looking at separates as well and just got lost with all the options plus it always ended up pricey and space is a consideration. Would you say there's enough power to "feel some oomph" from the music (totally subjective I know) rather than just high volume?

Quote from: The Heretic on January 28, 2024, 12:58:00 PMThank you, that looks like a nice piece of kit! Ive been looking at separates as well and just got lost with all the options plus it always ended up pricey and space is a consideration. Would you say there's enough power to "feel some oomph" from the music (totally subjective I know) rather than just high volume?

Yeah It's a minefield alright. I was looking at the Marantz MCR612 (pricey!) and the Denon D-M41 (no USB) as they both had built in amps. I wasn't prepared to start down the separate amp route. If I was, I'd need to hear them before deciding. Fuck blind buying at those prices.

As for my Panasonic, I have no regrets! Plenty of heft and clarity. No subwoofer port, if that's an issue for you. Bass is absolutely fine on this though. Listening to the last Reveal album right now and it sounds great.
Something else worth mentioning is that the speaker cables that come with it are a bit on the short side. Maybe 4ft each? Not an issue for me with my setup here, but it may be for you.

I have an eversolo DMP A6, it's a streamer and DAC with an LCD screen on the front that displays the artwork to what you're listening to.

I really like it as I also mainly listen to albums in full, and having the artwork displayed is something kind of tangible, compared to just streaming via Bluetooth to a speaker. I would of course like to put on CDs/records and have a collection like when I was younger but am not really willing to invest the money/time/space in my home.

#1737 January 28, 2024, 04:11:39 PM Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 04:44:43 PM by The Heretic
Quote from: mishima on January 28, 2024, 01:43:25 PMYeah It's a minefield alright. I was looking at the Marantz MCR612 (pricey!) and the Denon D-M41 (no USB) as they both had built in amps. I wasn't prepared to start down the separate amp route. If I was, I'd need to hear them before deciding. Fuck blind buying at those prices.

As for my Panasonic, I have no regrets! Plenty of heft and clarity. No subwoofer port, if that's an issue for you. Bass is absolutely fine on this though. Listening to the last Reveal album right now and it sounds great.
Something else worth mentioning is that the speaker cables that come with it are a bit on the short side. Maybe 4ft each? Not an issue for me with my setup here, but it may be for you.

Thanks very much, that's great information, the 4ft cables wouldn't be an issue for me really as its for a small office type space so should be ok! Cheers!!

I was the same. Had no proper CD player on my home system for the last few years. Made do with an old Philips discman that has served me faithfully for over 20 years now. And played almost all my CDs in the car, only.
But I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and nabbed a Technics CD separate to go with the rest of the set up, from a fella in Macroom. Glad I did as I had really been neglecting the CDs at home.

Quote from: The Heretic on January 28, 2024, 04:11:39 PMThanks very much, that's great information, the 4ft cables wouldn't be an issue for me really as its for a small office type space so should be ok! Cheers!!

No worries! Let us know what you go with.