My favourite Primordial for sure. I'd say probably "... Wilderness" is their finest achievement but I probably overdosed on it too much at the time, SBC endures with it's heady brew of rousing anthems and that sense of poignant  Gaelic literature and folklore the band have made their own. My favourite  Nemtheanga lyrics here too, emblazoned in my brain at this stage. A special album indeed.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Amon Amarth - The Berserker, nothing that spectacularly different as usual, but find I'm enjoying it a lot more than the last few

Quote from: Thorn on July 01, 2019, 05:21:49 AM
My favourite Primordial for sure. I'd say probably "... Wilderness" is their finest achievement but I probably overdosed on it too much at the time, SBC endures with it's heady brew of rousing anthems and that sense of poignant  Gaelic literature and folklore the band have made their own. My favourite  Nemtheanga lyrics here too, emblazoned in my brain at this stage. A special album indeed.

I do find it funny how bands like Iron Maiden are lambasted (and rightly so) because of extended, widdly guitar playing that goes absolutely nowhere, yet Primordial have built their career on it.

#603 July 01, 2019, 04:35:54 PM Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:02:35 PM by Eoin McLove
Nonsense argument.  Iron Maiden made their name on writing incredibly catchy and massively energetic heavy metal anthems that occasionally veered into the epic (in terms of themes and song lengths) and have,  in recent times,  lost a lot of that power while sticking to a formula of writing long winded songs that go around in circles.

Primordial built their reputation on writing long songs that were influenced as much by the Peaceville doom death scene,  the likes of Candlemass and the second wave of Norwegian BM. Their style has developed over time into something that is 100% their own,  it is often epic,  mostly dark and not always easy to penetrate (and admittedly not always amazing). You may not like the style but the band continue to grow and explore the edges of their sound while remaining true to their roots in many ways.  I would argue that most of Redemption and Greater Men are too formulaic to have much impact despite having a few truly excellent songs scattered across them,  but the new album is incredible, diverse and relevant. 

And they're most definitely light on widdly!

Mastodon - Blood Mountain

Death Angel - Humanicide

This one is gonna take some shifting from my top few come year's end. Must be the most consistent thrash act about these days
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Death - ITP

I was right, it's still awesome. Andy LaRocque ftw, etc.

Tenebrae Aeternum - Made of Stone

Primordial- The Wildering Gatherness. I love this album.  Every aspect of it works to support the other,  dark lyrics,  dark music,  dark artwork,  dingy production.  It stands out in their discography as being the most oppressive. Classic album.

Now listening to FLESHTIZED "Divide and Conquer" MCD (2000).
Great bass guitar lines!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uSAEdQmRE8

Fuil na Seanchoille demo LP.  It seems the follow up to Hunger is recorded and due for imminent release via Tour de Garde. Very excited to hear how it came out.  It has been a long time coming.

Blind Guardian - Nightfall

Lingua Ignota-Caligula

So far this morning...

Candlemass- Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Sacrilegia- The Triclavian Advent
Kataxu- Roots Thunder
Slidhr- The Futile Fires of Man