Scald - Regius I

Quite different to the Scald of old.
Very catchy, though.

Quote from: Caomhaoin on August 24, 2021, 06:43:01 PM
Manes - Slow Motion Death Sequence

This band are kind of Ulver-lite for me, despite their early stuff not being not necessarily comparable. The latter day stuff is hit and miss, and they'll never top Vilosophe but this is a solid effort. Guitars n' bleeps, but that trademark buildup to a massive crescendo is still there.

Pick of the choons here

https://open.spotify.com/track/1NoVirGhJQ4PE410gGhTVY?si=-kaTWPHmSKyzR01Q2RZIkg&dl_branch=1

Yeah Ulver is the obvious comparison. I find both bands post black metal output hit and miss, with Ulver slightly better. In fact I never listen to 'new' Manes and only occasionally Ulver.

However Black Metal Manes is absolute gold and one of the highlights of that slightly underground Norwegian BM of the 90s that is overlooked in comparison to Ulver, Mayhem etc etc etc...

#5927 August 25, 2021, 01:08:41 AM Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 04:03:35 AM by Carnage
Nitzer Ebb: Ebbhead
Pearl Jam: Ten
R.E.M.: Unplugged 2001

#5928 August 25, 2021, 05:35:44 AM Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 05:38:00 AM by Caomhaoin
WIFE - Stoic EP

I'm not convinced by the other ones but this is a really cool EP, he is one extremely talented boy. I remember a very shy young lad when I was in college down in Cork (bai) playing drums for a common or garden local BM band, even then you could see the ability he had, he must have still only been at school. I'm not surprised at the quality he's been involved with and created over the years.

That period, 2000-2005, was exceptional for the Cork scene. The amount of totally class gigs and local bands, something every week in the Wolfhound, Nancy's or Fred's. Those Maël Mórda gigs in the latter, oh my goodness gravy, band/crowd interaction like I've never seen since. Getting goosebumps thinking about it. And what was Skippys band who wrecked the Wolfhound? Halfmast? Halcyon days!

Quote from: Caomhaoin on August 25, 2021, 05:35:44 AM
That period, 2000-2005, was exceptional for the Cork scene. The amount of totally class gigs and local bands, something every week in the Wolfhound, Nancy's or Fred's. Those Maël Mórda gigs in the latter, oh my goodness gravy, band/crowd interaction like I've never seen since. Getting goosebumps thinking about it. And what was Skippys band who wrecked the Wolfhound? Halfmast? Halcyon days!

Without a doubt. 1996 - 2006 it was a great time to come of age and be in the scene. Bands starting/splitting. Not just metal - a lot of great punk, post-punk and hardcore too- 10 Point Rule/Waiting Room/Rulers Of The Planet/Racing For Pinks/My Remorse/(R)evolution Of A Son/El Bastardo.

Add in The Phoenix/Rumpels/Green Room of the Half Moon/Cruiscin.  What a city we had for DIY shows. In the year or so pre-C19 - a few people/promoters were making inroads with venues to try swing it back around. I really hope that they can pick up that momentum again.

Skippy - there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Sound head. Probably still in the Godflesh shirt and shorts to this day.

So odd - I was only talking about characters from the old days with someone else yesterday.

On topic:

Wolves In The Throne Room - "Primordial Arcana" - not for me. Good start but didn't make it through a second listen.
Watter - "History of the Future" - really enjoyed it.
Sunn O))) - "Black One" - revisit - yes indeed.

Doom - Total Doom

POLICE BASTARD!!! 8)

Listening to prong and nothing else, cant help feel that Tommy Victor is extremely underrated.
Play the Academy July 13th

Quote from: Grim Reality on August 23, 2021, 10:42:04 PM
Caverne - la fin de tous les chants

Majestic French BM. New album. Warm sound. I'd say Primordial fans might like it.

Yes. A good band.

Ulvehyrde - Englemakersken

Quote from: StrangersWithGuns on August 25, 2021, 02:02:27 PM
Listening to prong and nothing else, cant help feel that Tommy Victor is extremely underrated.

I go on a strong buzz for Prong every now and again. They're great. Couple of not so fantastic albums but many many decent ones. Definitely underrated.

Tommy was well regarded on the old forum. He even had his own account.

Quote from: StoutAndAle on August 25, 2021, 11:06:42 AM
Quote from: Caomhaoin on August 25, 2021, 05:35:44 AM

Without a doubt. 1996 - 2006 it was a great time to come of age and be in the scene. Bands starting/splitting. Not just metal - a lot of great punk, post-punk and hardcore too- 10 Point Rule/Waiting Room/Rulers Of The Planet/Racing For Pinks/My Remorse/(R)evolution Of A Son/El Bastardo.

Add in The Phoenix/Rumpels/Green Room of the Half Moon/Cruiscin.  What a city we had for DIY shows. In the year or so pre-C19 - a few people/promoters were making inroads with venues to try swing it back around. I really hope that they can pick up that momentum again.

Skippy - there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Sound head. Probably still in the Godflesh shirt and shorts to this day.

Hes still the same! lol

Great days for the Cork scene back then,probably peak era for gigs in Fredz.

Absolutely loving the god-forsaken hell out of my Trouble bingeing this week.

The Skull is one of very, very few albums I rank as a perfect 10/10.

Autopsy - Mental Funeral

Just realising how much of an influence this is on the new Dread Sovereign album, the production and guitar tone especially is nearly identical.

Ultha - The Inextricable Wandering
Ultha - Converging sins

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on August 26, 2021, 02:10:42 PM
Absolutely loving the god-forsaken hell out of my Trouble bingeing this week.

The Skull is one of very, very few albums I rank as a perfect 10/10.

Yes enjoying some Trouble too this week. Manic frustration has gotten a good few spins, love that album.

Never realised Wagner worked with Danny Cavanagh, just saw it on his wiki, must check out that Lid album.