Whatever happened to Plop I wonder. The last I saw of them was supporting Pitchshifter maybe? They just disappeared after that. I have Escape from O.B. City on tape but I haven't listened to it in many years.

Anacrusis - Manic Impressions
                   - Reason
Zemial - Nykta

Two very different but equally excellent takes on progressive metal, all three essential listening imo.

Sorcerer  - Socerer Demo 89

The raiding of the wife's CD collection continues...

Jane's Addiction- 'Ritual de lo Habituel'
Kyuss- 'Welcome to Sky Valley'

Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 02, 2021, 11:31:56 PM
Whatever happened to Plop I wonder. The last I saw of them was supporting Pitchshifter maybe? They just disappeared after that. I have Escape from O.B. City on tape but I haven't listened to it in many years.

Great question i havent seen him in years, i loved escape from OB city i used to have it on tape myself it was great

That Kyuss album is excellent.
I love Blues For The Red sun also. His vocals always make me want to drive off into the sunset

I was never arsed with them as stoner rock generally doesn't interest me, but I'm really enjoying them at the moment. The ultra dry, dense guitar sound is exactly right for me at the minute. Some creative guitar playing there as well, which is seldom something you can say about that specific genre. I may have to pick up 'Blues for the Red Sun' at some stage.

Parts of it sound very similar to the early Tool stuff.

Sky Valley is a masterpiece. Say what you want about Homme but he really is a genius when it comes to Guitar tone and feeling.

I never got into Queens either. You can really hear the similarities in places though and it's track 10 him on vocals as well? Sounds incredibly like Queens to me. The second song has a riff that has been recycled too

Queens' first three albums are incredible and yea he has lifted some riffs from Kyuss /Desert Sessions to put into future albums. You should listen to the first Queens album if you like Kyuss.

If it's in her collection I'll give it a go. I can't see myself buying it....

Been on a pretty constant QotSA buzz for the last 12 or 18 months. Mainly Era Vulgaris with the odd spin of Songs for the Deaf but Like Clockwork has been the go to lately. I prefer the oddness of the later stuff. With that, I always enjoyed Kyuss but the first 2 Queens albums never did a whole lot for me. Due a return to them though so who knows.

https://youtu.be/iFca32_7YUU

Could be a god awful joke by posting No One Knows there but thankfully I'm not that bad yet.

#5772 August 03, 2021, 11:37:46 AM Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 11:42:46 AM by Circlepit
For me it's all about John Garcia. I think he is a fantastic natural vocalist. Having said that I have to be in the mood for that type of stuff. A lot of it gets repetitive though.
Garcia has so many bands and they all kinda blend in to each other.
The Urban Coyote by Uneeda is great.

First 3 QOTSA albums are indeed brilliant but apart from 3 songs on Lullabies To Paralyze (one of which was lifted from Desert Sessions 9 & 10), I can't stand anything after that. Always found Kyuss so-so overall, with occasional flashes of brilliance. I preferred their sound to their songwriting.

The first three Queens albums are the best but Like Clockwork was a surprisingly fantastic album, bit of an 80s goth or Nick Cave buzz from it.