Quote from: TurnTheAirBlue on May 18, 2021, 01:25:48 PM
Quote from: Circlepit on May 18, 2021, 01:19:39 PM
Watain- Lawless Darkness. This is a great album but anytime I listen to it I wish it was a bit shorter. It feels bloated.

That's the only album of theirs I like. Hugely overrated band in my opinion. And you are right, it's the same with the rest of their albums too, they all seem too long. Mediocre band at best.

They're a brand more than a band. Arguably followed by more spastics than Pantera.

Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Amon Amarth - Jomsviking
First Fragment - Dasein

The first album is great as is Sworn To The Dark.
The Wild Hunt is a mixed bag . I get why it got such stick along with boot licking praise. The country song is fine.
I don't understand them justifying their progression with the whole that's what black metal is about argument.  Pushing and expanding their boundaries.
Surely it's far more BM to put out what you want and  never apologise never explain.

Anyway. They have some great moments but need a bit of editing.

I  have never bothered to check out Watain. 

np: Fyrnask - VII: Kenoma

#5149 May 18, 2021, 07:56:19 PM Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 10:07:41 PM by M.Hopkins
Lycus - Tempest.
Monstrous album.

Watain are in the behemoth category in that I think they're too overrated.

Insanity Alert - 666 Pack

New Moonspell and a bottle of red. It's how things are meant to be.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Dread sovereign  - Alchemical Warfare lp
Dark Tranquillity- Minds I lp

Godflesh - Hyns

So heavy I couldn't pick up all the letters.

Frozen Soul - Crypt of Ice
Savage, heavy as shit mid tempo bolt thrower death.

Quote from: astfgyl on May 18, 2021, 10:26:29 PM
Godflesh - Hyns

So heavy I couldn't pick up all the letters.
Fantastic album, amazing how the live drums change their sound, and not to its detriment. There's a remastered version apparently, with some demo tracks attached, I have yet to pick it up.

Electric Wizard- Dopethrone. I'm not massively into stoner doom but a few of the Electric Wizard albums got the spot. Dopethrone has such a gnarly production that works in its favour. The guitar sounds like a thin smear of filth, so loosely played and on the verge of collapse but the sheer darkness of the album works nonetheless. They have gone off the boil in my opinion but when they were good they were very good.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 18, 2021, 10:41:36 PM
Electric Wizard- Dopethrone. I'm not massively into stoner doom but a few of the Electric Wizard albums got the spot. Dopethrone has such a gnarly production that works in its favour. The guitar sounds like a thin smear of filth, so loosely played and on the verge of collapse but the sheer darkness of the album works nonetheless. They have gone off the boil in my opinion but when they were good they were very good.
They are good from Come my Fanatics up as far as Black Masses but the only properly good all the way through one is Dopethrone

Anything I heard after 'We Live' didn't interest me.

I doubt you are missing much