Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on May 20, 2021, 10:20:08 AM
Went through two weeks of listening to all the MoR albums there in April. Absolutely amazing, one and all. Chris Goss is a genius.....
I have Sunrise on the Sufferbus on the car stereo as we speak.
SOTS is good too, must stick that on again soon.  Yeah Goss is deadly alright, he knows how to put together a great song.  You might enjoy this so:

https://youtu.be/AxQ2xTNjdOM
Its a live desk recording from Roadburn 2001, sounds excellent, set is great, and he has Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri with him for the gig.

Quote from: ochoill on May 20, 2021, 10:44:29 AM
Quote from: Kurt Cocaine on May 20, 2021, 10:20:08 AM
Went through two weeks of listening to all the MoR albums there in April. Absolutely amazing, one and all. Chris Goss is a genius.....
I have Sunrise on the Sufferbus on the car stereo as we speak.
SOTS is good too, must stick that on again soon.  Yeah Goss is deadly alright, he knows how to put together a great song.  You might enjoy this so:

https://youtu.be/AxQ2xTNjdOM
Its a live desk recording from Roadburn 2001, sounds excellent, set is great, and he has Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri with him for the gig.
Nice one man. Have that saved for the weekend.
Yeah Sunrise is a class album (except for T.U.S.A. sorry Ginger). Speaking of Ginger, what a drumming performance on the album, starting with She Got Me, what an intro to an album.

Quote from: boozegeune on May 20, 2021, 10:22:46 AM
Watched Alan Averills new video on Slayer, really enjoying the series. On the back of that:
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Slayer - Hell Awaits

Especially love Show No Mercy, blistering, ruthless.

Have not seen these videos, must reserve an afternoon/evening and get some in. I recently got an old copy of SNM and it always used to be the one I ignored, shamefully for years, same with HA. Those two are now easily my favorites. I guess it's a sound you're into or you're not. The old school production puts a lot of people off. People always bang on about RIB, but I don't go back to it much anymore.

#5178 May 20, 2021, 11:53:52 AM Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 12:13:31 PM by hellfire
Sigh - Eastern Darkness
A collection of two demos and a bunch of Venom covers. Pretty good stuff.

That's the funny thing about Slayer, I have played the hell out of RIB, South, Seasons over the years while Show and Hell were kind of ignored, but I would choose both now

I watched that AA Slayer run through last night and had to go on a Slayer binge this morning.
I still think Divine Intervention is fantastic.
World Painted Blood received great reviews upon its release. Shite.

The first few releases though. I had South Of Heaven before Reign In Blood and thought all their stuff was in the South of Heaven vein. I still remember buying Reign In Blood on tape they had the full album on both sides. That alone made think there was something wild coming. Sweet lord it blew my head off. It took a few spins to sink in as  it was so unrelenting.

I had never heard those rumours about Hanneman not playing on God Hates Us All.
Anyway I wonder who he will do next.

Mourning Beloveth!

I went from the start up to Divine Intervention last year after ignoring the 4 after Hell Awaits for years. RiB, SoH and Seasons are all absolutely incredible albums and were amazing to go back to after knowing them so well but having not gone back to them for years. Despite loving DI growing up and it still having some bangers, there are a few moments that really drag it down.

Perverted Ceremony -Demo 1
Perverted Ceremony - Sabbat of Behezael
Perverted Ceremony/Witchcraft -  Nighermancie/Black Candle Invoker

It's all about South Of Heaven for me, nothing else comes close. The variety and quality of the ten tracks (I'm counting the JP cover as it's excellent, better than the original IMO) is top notch, and they've never sounded better or heavier. Aside from the title track, I've never liked Hell Awaits, it's too sloppy and muddy for me.

Divine Intervention is underrated. Not their best by any means, due in no small part to the thin, tinny production, but their last essential album for me.

Love everything up to Seasons then I felt it dropped off for me with Slayer.  They've a few good songs on GHUA but I felt they were phoning it in for the remainder of their career album wise. Their live shows were always awesome though.

Top 3 would be 1. RIB 2. SNM 3. SOH

#5185 May 20, 2021, 03:02:19 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 03:05:42 PM by boozegeune
I think the reason I love Show No Mercy above the rest is that it is a style apart from the rest of their catalogue to my mind, much more along the lines of Venom or early Bathory. I wouldn't call myself the biggest Slayer fan beyond obsessing over Reign In Blood as a teenager, and going to a shit gig they did in Cork in 2006. Growing older and getting more into extreme metal, SNM easily stands alongside the classics of early black/thrash/speed/war. The other early albums are clearly great too, but they start to really sound like the 'Slayer' i knew as a teenager (an international mainstream thrash band as far as I knew) after Hell Awaits.

In my own shitty opinion.  :laugh:

RIB still a fantastic record though, just not as much my style. I have never heard GHUA, DI, UA, DIM or the two newer ones. Owned Christ Illusion back in the day but have lost it over the years...

Edit: to rank my top 3 in order, just go chronologically from SNM.

Ya, I would actually rate them chronologically up to DI at this stage.

Forthist - s/t

Chat Pile - This Dungeon Earth/Remove Your Skin Please... slight nod to Godflesh and amphetamine rep noise Rock to these ears

https://chatpile.bandcamp.com/music

Astriferous - The Lower Levels of Sentience.. really digging after seeing it posted previously, cheers.