Now I wouldn't say they're bad, just not genre defining. I don't find them particularly heavy, and i enjoy them most when they get a bit weird and melodic.

Sandoval was a solid backbone and his playing was crazy tight and fast, but I honestly can't remember a single lick or fill of his.

They're good, they just lack that special sauce for me.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that I chipped a tooth in a moshpit to "Where the Slime Lives" 🤓

I wouldn't say Vincent was twee but there is a definite campness to some of his vocals. He was almost theatrical at times, definitely more than just a growler. He even had different ways of delivering the gruff stuff, one of the most dynamic heavy vocalists there was. I liked his bass playing too, he played some interesting stuff which often deviated from just following the guitars. They lost a lot when he left.

#842 October 10, 2019, 08:38:23 AM Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 08:50:22 AM by Juggz
Quote from: Ducky on October 09, 2019, 10:07:56 PM
Some Death demos, specifically the songs from Human recorded with the Spiritual Healing rhythm section.

They actually work. See Through Dreams sounds like it came straight off Leprosy and Together As One almost sounds like Possessed...

As fun as they are, Human is my all time favourite record and that is in part due to the players (especially Sean Reinert) and the style, which just ain't happening here.
Those demos were a revelation. It highlighted to me that the leap on Human came from the players, not the songwriting, although that was pretty obvious seeing what they did with the Spritual Helaing and Leprosy stuff on that tour, in hindsight.

Now listening to Mindfunk - Dropped

It's a shame this lineup didn't last, the guitar work, in particular, is really good.

#843 October 10, 2019, 09:10:02 AM Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 09:12:10 AM by Pentagrimes
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 10, 2019, 12:12:55 AM
Controversial!

I'm going to go one further - as much as I like MA, "Altars of Madness" is overrated. "Dawn Of Possession" pisses all over it in my book as the definitive American death metal record.

I woke up with "Sister Blue" by Mindfunk stuck in my head randomly the other day. If I ever had a guilty pleasure, it's that song.

Agalloch 'The Mantle'.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on October 10, 2019, 09:10:02 AM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 10, 2019, 12:12:55 AM
Controversial!

I'm going to go one further - as much as I like MA, "Altars of Madness" is overrated. "Dawn Of Possession" pisses all over it in my book as the definitive American death metal record.

I woke up with "Sister Blue" by Mindfunk stuck in my head randomly the other day. If I ever had a guilty pleasure, it's that song.
And now "Sister Blue" is stuck in my head. Which is now bad thing. It'll be getting played shortly, so thanks pal.

Minor Threat - Complete Discography

Shouty!

Edmund Finnis, the air turning.

I have a bit of a thing for modern classical music and every few months I need to immerse myself in it and then I get over it again.

In the Court of the Crimson King and Hot Rats both turn 50 today, on the first now, the second will surely get its turn later.

Spirit Adrift - Divided by Darkness

Probably my Album of the Year, great old school Heavy Metal album with elements of Thrash and Doom.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 10, 2019, 02:25:44 PM
In the Court of the Crimson King and Hot Rats both turn 50 today, on the first now, the second will surely get its turn later.

By complete chance I had Hot Rats (and Apostrophe) on earlier, and followed them with Starless and Bible Black.

David Lee Roth - Eat 'Em And Smile

I never get tired of this. It's mental in the best possible way.

Unholy 'From the Shadows'. Very creative and interesting album.

Savatage - Hall of the mountain king.

One of my favourite metal albums, bought it when it came out in 1987 and probably listened to it every year since.

Quote from: Don Gately on October 11, 2019, 12:30:05 PM
Savatage - Hall of the mountain king.

One of my favourite metal albums, bought it when it came out in 1987 and probably listened to it every year since.
So you've listened to it 32 times? Impressive....  :abbath: