Unfortunately  I've no interest in Sadistik Execution, Crossover or 80s sounding  occult death thrash  (if you added "war metal" to that list you'd literally have a list of my least favourite aspects of the underground at this stage) so reading this on NWN a while back was massively disappointing. I'll give it a listen in case he finds a way to warp these into something interesting but..I'm not optimistic.

Weird that he also dismissed parts of Lunarterial as "plastic sounding"

I've no doubt that whatever he ends up doing it will sound fucked up. Faith,  bro. Faith.

#722 September 09, 2019, 10:05:24 AM Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:06:59 AM by Pentagrimes
We'll see. I think I've had enough 80s worshipping "metal ov death" for one lifetime at this stage ..I'm a strictly 90s kinda guy  :laugh: Superstition and Sacrilegia are the only bands doing it I've any interest in since Obscure Burial called it quits

I'm largely the same.  I'm all for bands looking to those eras for inspiration but if they can't add something of their own to the mix and just play straight homage,  I generally get bored. As I said though,  I imagine that his interpretation of Sad Ex/Morbid Angel will be a more bizarre one than most other bands would be able to achieve or even imagine possible.  That's going from his utter manglation of the Autopsy template on the 7" and Lunarterial.

Queensryche - Empire

Some of the keyboard parts have dated horribly, but it's still a great album with a lovely sound. Great, filthy bass tone in such a pristine and clear production.

Inter Arma - Sulphur English

The influences on this thing are so diverse, bits of Neurosis, Morbid Angel, Remission era Mastodon, Folk, Allman Brothers guitar bits etc.

Imperial Cult - Spasm of Light

Thorns- s/t. Going to give this another go because I'm intrigued by Snorre Ruch's influence on the second wave style of playing.  The quasi-industrial sound has always been a bit off putting for me but I'll see if his genius shines through.

Sleep - Jerusalem

Still the heaviest sounding of all the Dopesmoker variations and one of those nuggets found unexpectedly and completely by chance during the late 90's wasteland years (in the Virgin in Tallaght, I recall, browsing the shelves during a work lunch break). Sleep had disappeared after Holy Mountain and I only learned of the tale behind this many years later, so this coming out of the blue was a very pleasant surprise.

Holy Diver - Dio - what an album

The Heretics - Rotting Christ

Coroner - s/t

An odd compilation of the odd album track with post-Grin recordings which are among my favourite material of theirs. The Favourite Game, Der Mussolini, Golden Cashmere Sleeper, these are fantastic songs.

Corrosion Of Conformity - Blind
The fucking daddy of guitar tone!

Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 07, 2019, 09:56:24 AM
Inter Arma "Sulphur English". Wasn't overly familiar with these before but this is really something. Very intriguing and quite unlike a lot of metal I've heard this year. I can see myself listening to this a lot over the next while.

I listened to that one album of theirs years ago to see what the fuss was, Sky Burial, and didn't get it at all really, pegged them as a darker Baroness or some shit, but this new one is a different beast altogether and I've yet to unravel it properly myself

Crypt Sermon - Out of The Garden

New one out any day now and anything in the region of the True Doom quality on this will do nicely

Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

'Dødheimsgard- Kronet Til Konge' for the drive to work.