Stygian Crown - Stygian Crown 7/10

Some epic doom ala Candlemass/Solitude Aeturnus/Morgion with a strong, if slightly monotone, female vocal.Nothing overly special but a good, solid listen that I picked up as a blind buy having been attracted by their name and the design of the t-shirt that came with the bundle.
Anyone else walking around in Ireland with a Stygian Crown tee on I wonder?
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Solitude Aeturnus

Through the darkest hour

Downfall

#9437 May 21, 2023, 09:53:37 PM Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 11:12:52 AM by Eoin McLove
Khanate- Clean Hands Go Foul. I don't think I ever really gave this much time as I was a bit over Khanate by the time it came out and was on another trail of discovery at that point. Listening to it now, after reading The Quietus's article for extra context, I'm enjoying it. It is surprisingly musical by their standards. The use of sad sounding open chords is quite soothing, but in true Khanate fashion it all sounds decayed, broken and heaped in a loose pile. I'll have to pick up the new album and see how they have progressed from here. Tim Wyskida's percussive techniques have me very intrigued.

Edit. My nearly four year old just asked me when we are going to die. Clearly an early case of existential dread brought on by passive Khanate-ing.

Malasangre- Inversus.

Black Death Cult- Devil's Paradise.

Always hated Khanate. Partly because of the vocals, partly because they pronounce it 'Kon-ate'. Mainly the latter.

Roger Waters - In the Flesh
Alkonost - Memoris
Corona Borealis – Cantus Paganus

I have that Khanate album somewhere, I always found it disturbing.
Listening to The Cult - Sonic Temple one of my favourite albums.

Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part 2. Hadn't listened to this in years. Still one of my favourite power metal albums. There's not one bad track on it.

Better than Part 1?

Bölzer- Lese Majesty.
Thorns- s/t. I wonder if that new album will ever come out or remain a floating, mythical enigma.

Razor - Armed and Dangerous
They Watch Is From the Moon - Cosmic Chronicles, Act 1: The Ascension
Old Forest - Sutwyke
Ghost - Phantomime
Necrophobic - Mark of the Necrogram
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam
Century -The Conquest of Time
Rotting Christ - Passage to Arcturo

Primordial - Imrama.
Abbadon Incarnate - The Last Supper. This is such a demented animal. It's like speed mixed with more speed and nail guns.

The Last Supper has got a second wind for me after 20 odd years of loving it. It's just a monster of album. Frantic and mental. Not much else like it. Legion has to have been a big influence.

On the old forum McLove wrote one of those retrospective pieces that summed it up quite well.
I remember when I bought it I thought it was just too much. It was so abrasive.
Now I give it a whirl when I need some insanity.

Skeletal Remains - The Entombment of Chaos 7.5/10

Savage slice of American DM owing more than a few royalties to Morbid Angel, just noticed how well the artwork goes with the opening instrumental piece too.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes