Quote from: Count Magnus on July 24, 2024, 02:32:33 PMListened to Celestial Wanderer earlier. Savage stuff. Wish they included it with the Hour of the Centaur CD. Going to pick up Celestial Wanderer/Sowing With Salt and Justice from Amazon.

Purity that has already been mentioned would be seen by the majority of people as the best full length. Then for me Battlefields follows closely behind. The Blood and Fire EP along with the Ildjarn split are well worth checking out if you aren't familiar with the material from before the reunion. All the releases range from good to amazing.

Blood of Kingu is similar to HF but with even less melodic parts and the lyrics focus on Egyptian / Tibetan themes some songs even have Tibetan throat singing. Then you also have Rattenfänger which is great death metal and his most recent project Precambrian in which he sings about Nature / Geology etc. The full length which came out in 2020 for me is one of the best things Roman has recorded.

Just listen to how the album starts off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_EhlOjIETQ

He just seems to be one of those musicians who releases all top quality material. The worst in my opinion of the lot is Drudkh. In saying that the first two Drudkh full lengths are amazing. I own the later stuff but a lot of it still hasn't clicked with me yet.

:laugh:  :laugh: That's comes out swinging alright. Wasn't aware of that project. Sounds great.

Blood In Our Wells is the Drudkh I know best and that's incredible.

ANGELCORPSE - The Inexorable
CHAKAL - Abominable Anno Domini
VAN HALEN - A Different Kind Of Truth

Overkill - The Years Of Decay 10/10
One of the first thrash albums I ever heard and still one of the best , this Evil Never Dies!

Manilla Road - Spiral Castle 8/10
Iconic cover art on this one where the band added a heavy Trad. Metal influence to their heavy psyche and even some death growls but the big winner here is the extensive lead work which permeates so much of the album.

Master - On The Seventh Day God Created...Master 8/10
Falling just a little short of the debut , this modestly titled second album drops an early payload with 'What Kind Of God?', 'Latitudinarian' and 'Used' then rumbles along until 'Submerged In Sin' finishes it off on a high.

Warlock - True As Steel 7.5/10
Solid third offering from Dorothea and her boys aimed a little more at the American market this time. Strange then how they decided not to feature the blonde bombshell herself on the cover.

Hooded Menace - Fulfil The Curse 7.5/10
Much revered Doom Death debut that sounds more like it was dug up in a cemetery than recorded in a studio, some of the tracks don't quite stick though for me and preference is for later works particularly 2021's The Tritonous Bell.

Black Sabbath - Born Again 6.5/10
Whoa, how did I end up with a playlist where Sabbath come bottom of the pile. The only album to be recorded by this incarnation of the band is decent enough, the songwriting is obviously tailored to Gillan's voice though, resulting in a record that comes off more Purple than Black at times.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

#13759 July 25, 2024, 08:22:45 PM Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 08:58:16 PM by Ducky
Born Again was the first Black Sabbath record I ever heard in full. Without having a clue of the convoluted line up changes and whatnot, it was quite the bummer.

It's awful, but all of Iommi's solo albums are.

Quote from: Ducky on July 25, 2024, 08:22:45 PMBorn Again was the first Black Sabbath record I ever heard in full. Without having a clue if the convoluted line changes and whatnot, it was quite the bummer.

Jaysus, what a misleading first step into Sabbath  :laugh:
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Seriously! It was in my "ground zero" shoebox of tapes and CDs I borrowed from my future brother-in-law when I was first getting into guitar music.

It was basically a shoebox full of classic albums like Master of Puppets, Peace Sells, Powerslave, the first Danzig album, Highway to Hell, Blizzard of Ozz, Machine Head, British Steel, Bomber, a few other bangers... plus for some godforsaken reason, Born Again! :laugh:

I enjoy Born Again for some strange reason..its so odd its almost good and the artwork is so bad it has charm...the bonus live disc I have on the digipak is highly entertaining..Gillan screaming his head off like a drunken wild man..Sabbath playing smoke on the water..it is gas altogether with a few beers

No surprise, I am a fan of Born Again. And all of the Sabbath eras/singers.

N.P. -

DANZIG - III How The Gods Kill
DANZIG - Thrall-Demonsweatlive

#13765 July 25, 2024, 11:37:32 PM Last Edit: July 25, 2024, 11:39:15 PM by Ducky
Just the thought of it there made me stick Danzig I on. Might do a "classic shoebox" playthrough over the weekend.

Think I have everything that was in it bar the rake of Deep Purple bootlegs (my BIL loves himself some Deep Purple, which could help explain the presence of BA)... and of course BA itself. Never felt compelled to pick that one :laugh:

Edit - BA is on Spotify, so looks like that will get a revisit for the first time in 26 years.

Shores of Ladon - Eindringling

Freeways - Dark Sky Sanctuary
Macabre - Carnival of Killers (still not sure what to think about this... It is a little comic relief)
Liege Lord - Burn to My Touch
Coltre - To Watch With Hands...

Quote from: The Wretch on July 25, 2024, 10:46:56 PMDANZIG - III How The Gods Kill

That is a ripper of a record. Haven't listen to it in years. That's one for this evening.

Currently playing;

Burning Witch - "Crippled Lucifer"
Nails - "Unsilent Death" which was brought on by listening to the new Nails song "Give Me The Painkiller".