BAT:Under The Crooked Claw.

Ryan & Nick from Municipal Waste going all Motorhead/Tank with a little bit of GBH too.
Great soundtrack to this evenings beers!

The Lamp of Thoth- Portents, Omens and Dooms.

Quote from: mickO))) on May 18, 2024, 11:28:32 PM
Quote from: Mithrandir on May 18, 2024, 11:17:16 PM
Quote from: mickO))) on May 18, 2024, 02:03:07 PMGenocide Shrines – Manipura Imperial

What an album, been trying to track down a copy of the LP with no luck, another one I regret not buying at the time

Just secured a copy of it myself today. I put off buying it for ages then by the time I tried to get it nobody had copies left.

Nice! Where did you pick it up?

Infester - To the Depths, in Degradation

Quote from: Mithrandir on May 19, 2024, 05:24:12 AM
Quote from: mickO))) on May 18, 2024, 11:28:32 PM
Quote from: Mithrandir on May 18, 2024, 11:17:16 PM
Quote from: mickO))) on May 18, 2024, 02:03:07 PMGenocide Shrines – Manipura Imperial

What an album, been trying to track down a copy of the LP with no luck, another one I regret not buying at the time

Just secured a copy of it myself today. I put off buying it for ages then by the time I tried to get it nobody had copies left.

Nice! Where did you pick it up?

I got it on Discogs. The LP itself was only $20 due to some ring wear but the postage brought the total up to just under $50. I would have preferred a mint copy but just said fuck it because I feel this album is going to get more and more expensive with a repress not looking very likely.

I also need Devanation Monumentemples but that has been going for high prices for many years now. 

YNGWIE J MALMSTEEN -

Eclipse (1990)
Fire And Ice (1992)
Magnum Opus (1995) 
Perpetual Flame (2008)

Quote from: The Wretch on May 19, 2024, 09:32:55 PMYNGWIE J MALMSTEEN -

Eclipse (1990)
Fire And Ice (1992)
Magnum Opus (1995) 
Perpetual Flame (2008)

I was listening to some Yngwe over the weekend for the first time on a recommendation. Very good stuff. I always wrote him off as a pure widdler but I was wrong.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 19, 2024, 09:53:27 PM

Eclipse (1990)
Fire And Ice (1992)
Magnum Opus (1995) 
Perpetual Flame (2008)

I was listening to some Yngwe over the weekend for the first time on a recommendation. Very good stuff. I always wrote him off as a pure widdler but I was wrong.

Oh he's a pure widdler, but entertaining as hell.
Plus he looks like Paul Baron from Reeves & Mortimer nowadays 😂

I love Marching Out and Trilogy, I get a bit bored with Rising force and all the instrumentals. I'm not familiar with anything after the first 3 though - What's the best of his later stuff?

#12954 May 19, 2024, 11:52:27 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 01:38:48 AM by The Wretch
Quote from: Mithrandir on May 19, 2024, 10:01:36 PMI love Marching Out and Trilogy, I get a bit bored with Rising force and all the instrumentals. I'm not familiar with anything after the first 3 though - What's the best of his later stuff?

I would say those four albums I was listening to there, and then maybe The Seventh Sign and Relentless are his strongest after Marching Out and Trilogy.

I do like the Joe Lynn Turner albums too actually, but they are more poppy/AOR-ish, so if that's not your bag, you might not enjoy those.

As long as you avoid the post 2010 albums where he does the vocals himself (or the instrumental stuff like the appalling 'Angels Of Love') you'll likely find some decent tunes.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on May 19, 2024, 09:53:27 PM

Eclipse (1990)
Fire And Ice (1992)
Magnum Opus (1995) 
Perpetual Flame (2008)

It's understandable that people feel that way. I think the fact that there are a lot of instrumentals on 'Rising Force'- although to be fair, that material was originally meant as a Japan only side project -  and you often see those tracks or Concerto Suite etc recommended to newbies as being a mind blowing introduction really does him no favours.

So that, along with his whole "more is more' thing and persona/image just leads people to believe he is just a tedious "widdler" or whatever.

I mean, yes, he is absolutely OTT and self indulgent, but often times he has been able to temper that with some great tunes, as well as highly entertaining showmanship. And really, he pioneered the neo-classical thing, and there really is nobody better at that style. Plus he has worked with some incredible vocalists and musicians.

#12955 May 19, 2024, 11:57:42 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 12:05:48 AM by The Wretch
MERCYFUL FATE - In the Shadows (1993)

Does anyone else remember feeling really excited about this being released? I still think there is only a cunt hair in the difference between the first few re-union era albums, and their 80's stuff.

Also, I almost jumped out of my skin seeing the video for 'Egypt' on Headbangers Ball for the first time.

SAVATAGE - Hall Of The Mountain King (1987)

Satyricon - Dark Medieval Times
Darkthrone - It Beckons Us All
Nocturnus AD - Unicursal (been listening to this a lot over the weekend - if you can get past the style of the vocals and the style of delivery there is plenty to like about this). 

Weekend listening:
Abaddon Incarnate - The Last Supper
Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh

This morning:
The Exploited - Troops of Tomorrow
The Exploited - Let's Start a War

Samael- Blood Ritual.
Mortuary Drape- All the Witches Dance.