#12120 March 23, 2024, 03:49:28 PM Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 11:59:43 PM by The Wretch
DEATH PENALTY - Death Penalty (2014)

I wish Gaz Jennings would make another album with these guys/gal.

#12121 March 23, 2024, 11:59:15 PM Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 11:14:09 PM by The Wretch
SOLITUDE AETURNUS - Through The Darkest Hour (1994)

I've been on a major SA buzz again since they announced at the end of 2023 that they were playing the Hell's Heroes festival 2024. Fingers crossed they will do more shows, and hopefully there will be a follow up to 'Alone', which was a brilliant and overlooked album in the grand scheme of things. But then that's true of a lot of their albums really. They were easily one of the standout bands in 90's netal, but don't get mentioned as much as they should. 

Just watched the Hell's Heroes footage there earlier. They sounded pretty fucking good considering they have been inactive since 2011. Three guitar line-up, with John Perez joined by both Edgar Rivera and Steve Moseley. Original bassist Lyle Steadham is back too, which is great from a performance standpoint. Rivera and Moseley are great players, but they aren't very engaging on stage really. 

Robert Lowe gives a decent account of himself, but they do have a female backing singer handling a lot of the high parts. Which is better than backing tapes I guess, if she wasn't so pitchy at times. And it's a bit sad, considering how phenomenal Lowe was in his prime, easily one of the best in all of metal.     

#12122 March 24, 2024, 02:19:44 AM Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:20:25 AM by Carnage
First two SA albums are mighty. His (Lowe's) studio work with Candlemass was also amazing but live... not so much.

NP: Trouble: Psalm 9
Count Raven: Storm Warning
Dark Angel: Time Does Not Heal

Quote from: The Wretch on March 23, 2024, 11:59:15 PMSOLITUDE AETURNUS - Through The Darkest Hour

Just watched the Hell's Heroes footage there earlier. They sounded pretty fucking good considering they have been inactive since 2011. Three guitar line-up, with John Perez joined by both Edgar Rivera and Steve Moseley. Original bassist Lyle Steadham is back too, which is great from a performance standpoint. Rivera and Moseley are great players, but they aren't very engaging on stage really. 

Robert Lowe gives a decent account of himself, but they do have a female backing singer handling a lot of the high parts. Which is better than backing tapes I guess, if she wasn't so pitchy at times. And it's a bit sad, considering how phenomenal Lowe was in his prime, easily one of the best in all of metal.     

Watched that earlier, Lowe sounds a lot better than Johan does with candlemass, jesus his voice is shot. I had to turn off Morbid Saint, what the hell is that drum sound. Omen on now, sounding great with that new guy on vocals, they played In the Arena, would kill to hear that live. There was a point I was actually meant to be at this years hell's Heroes, with that and plans for NWN fest falling through, I don't think I'm destined to hit a metal fest  :'( 

Is there a proper stream of that SA set anywhere, the phone level stuff I'm finding is fairly poor?

I've just been watching barrier phone vids here:

https://www.youtube.com/@MrGierigegast

#12126 March 24, 2024, 09:17:34 AM Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 09:22:55 PM by Cailleach
Enslaved  -  Heimdal
                     In Times
                     Isa
                     Utgard

Treblinka - The Sign of the Pentagram

#12128 March 24, 2024, 12:32:06 PM Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 12:38:00 PM by The Wretch
Quote from: Mithrandir on March 24, 2024, 03:57:34 AMWatched that earlier, Lowe sounds a lot better than Johan does with candlemass, jesus his voice is shot. I had to turn off Morbid Saint, what the hell is that drum sound. Omen on now, sounding great with that new guy on vocals, they played In the Arena, would kill to hear that live. There was a point I was actually meant to be at this years hell's Heroes, with that and plans for NWN fest falling through, I don't think I'm destined to hit a metal fest  :'( 

Just watching Omen now. Yeah, that sounds quality. Some line-up to be fair. Watchtower, Helstar, Forbidden, Queensryche, Doro, Autopsy, Sodom etc.

I love Epicus, and the last few Candlemass are largely excellent, but I wasn't impressed by any of Johan's performances since he joined permanently. 

I still reckon Messiah is the Candlemass vocalist. I'm not sure exactly how he is holding up now, but the footage with the likes of Procession, Oz, Stillborn, Anvil etc in the last 6 or 7 years lead me to believe he still has it. It's a pity he hasn't really done anything since leaving the band.     

Edit - Just checked out the Morbid Saint footage. That drum sound really is insufferable. The same as a lot of the Raven gigs since Hasselvander left. I'll never understand what the fuck people are thinking when they do that.

#12129 March 24, 2024, 01:36:27 PM Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 11:15:22 PM by The Wretch
ACCEPT - Blind Rage (2014)

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales. On repeat all day.

Corpus Offal - Demo 2024. This is deadly. Real manky DM.
Members of Cerebral Rot, Bell Witch and Demoncy. 20 Buck Spin of course involved

#12132 March 24, 2024, 07:42:11 PM Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 10:09:47 PM by Thorn
Judas Priest - Painkiller 10/10
The essence of Pure Heavy Metal

Bathory - The Return 9/10
Savage, violent and raw , this could well be the essence of Black Metal

Therion - Sirius B 8.5/10
Perhaps the most accessible Therion up to that point but no less quality for it

Enslaved - Monumension 8.5/10
Underrated mid period Enslaved although I sometimes wonder if I just have a soft spot for this one because it's the only one I have on vinyl, a stunning looking Osmose reissue

Saxon - Hell, Fire and Damnation 8/10
Really enjoying this year's instalment of Saxon complete with extra Tatler oomph

Helstar - This Wicked Nest 8/10
Sounding more like Forbidden and Testament than their old selves here but any Helstar is good with me

Trial - Feed The Fire 7.5/10
Latest release from '22 saw the Swedes with a new singer and more streamlined sound edging close to Portrait territory.

Manilla Road - The Courts of Chaos 7/10
Love the artwork on this 1990 effort from The Road, more keys on this making for a varied and intriguing listen

Cryptic Shift - Visitations From Encalodus 7/10
Dense, technical , shape shifting UK DM that demands attention throughout

Mortuary Drape- Wisdom- Vibration- Repent 7/10
Reminds me I haven't picked up last years full length yet

Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

#12133 March 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 09:54:01 PM by Eoin McLove
Amebix- Sonic Mass. I had this on repeat in the car over the past couple of days. So good.

Yeah Amebix are fucking rocking