Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 04, 2023, 01:14:07 AMPrimordial - To The Nameless Dead

Gallows Hymn is some fucking tune, has to be said.

The only Primordial CD I own and I never listen to it. Can't latch onto the buzz around them at all.

Were they ever that good or were they just Irish?

The late 90s was quite dismal, especially at that medium level - ie before Korn exploded to become huge. I'm sorry I wasn't more adventurous or didn't know about the likes of Terrorizer back then but that said, a lot of the more fucked up and obscure stuff I listen to now from that time might have been over my head as a young lad. But as had been lamented a million times before, Metal Hammer really fucked metal up the arse for quite a few years.

Quote from: astfgyl on December 04, 2023, 10:55:42 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 04, 2023, 01:14:07 AMPrimordial - To The Nameless Dead

Gallows Hymn is some fucking tune, has to be said.

The only Primordial CD I own and I never listen to it. Can't latch onto the buzz around them at all.

Were they ever that good or were they just Irish?

I'm of the "they're just Irish" persuasion. There's a few standout moments; "The Coffin Ships" is genuinely one of the most devastating songs ever written about Ireland, but it's all in AA's delivery and lyrics.

The music itself just meanders aimlessly - if modern Maiden are guilty of it, Primordial are doubly so. There's some great drumming and vocal work, but the song writing is scutter. The best thing I can think to say of the guitar playing is there's definitely guitar playing.

#11013 December 05, 2023, 06:32:59 AM Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 06:47:06 AM by Eoin McLove
Nah that's bullshit. Listen to the album Spirit the Earth Aflame. A perfect album. The riffs are majestic things. I have seen people make the case against Primordial based on the lack of riffs several times and it baffles me. CiarĂ¡n is well able to write exceptional, emotional music even if I have been critical of more recent output. He doesn't write direct face rippers, or not often, but he has this tremendously creative and evocative style of playing that sounds like he has taken all of the most sombre Irish trad music and molded it into these dark black metal/ pagan metal epics. The riffs often grow and meander rather than strike at the throat, but that is all part of their magic. It's the combination of those huge riffs, Simon's Celtic- tribal drumming and Alan's vocals that make them one of the more unique propositions on the pagan metal landscape. That's at their best. At their worst it sounds a bit grueling, but they have albums worth of magic.

Have you heard 'Storm Before Calm' Ducky? Just out of interest? It would be my favourite Primordial, some cracking tunes on there
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

#11016 December 05, 2023, 12:13:21 PM Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 07:42:10 PM by OpenSores
Giving this Eitrin s/t a blast in work, sounds very good to these ears, must stick in an order.

https://youtu.be/x_oNfteUe90?si=7ejoaCKsOza9Etlm

Quote from: Ducky on December 05, 2023, 06:10:01 AMI'm of the "they're just Irish" persuasion.

Folk who appreciate Primordial don't do so just because they're Irish. Tis only Irish folk who don't like Primordial think that :laugh: I'm guessing Irish folk who don't like Rotting Christ never think to themselves, "People only like them because they're Greek!" I'd be a much bigger fan of loads of other Irish bands if I was motivated in what I listen to by where the band comes from.

Primordial are a great band, but if you don't like them, that's grand, leave it at that. Over the last 15 years (FUCK!) I've met countless French heads who absolutely revere them while displaying no particular other signs of giving a fuck about Ireland.

More of a fan of their (Primordial) earlier material, I think 'To Enter Pagan' has very creative and unique riffs.

Hate Forest - Celestial Wanderer / Sowing with Salt
Isole - Bliss of Solitude
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery.
Hypocrisy - Into the Abyss
Sargeist - Disciple of the Heinous Path
Wayfarer - American Gothic

Listened to Wayfarer -American gothic  today for fist time..
Sounds good. Western theme definitely works.

Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 05, 2023, 01:01:48 PM
Quote from: Ducky on December 05, 2023, 06:10:01 AMI'm of the "they're just Irish" persuasion.

Folk who appreciate Primordial don't do so just because they're Irish. Tis only Irish folk who don't like Primordial think that :laugh: I'm guessing Irish folk who don't like Rotting Christ never think to themselves, "People only like them because they're Greek!" I'd be a much bigger fan of loads of other Irish bands if I was motivated in what I listen to by where the band comes from.

Primordial are a great band, but if you don't like them, that's grand, leave it at that. Over the last 15 years (FUCK!) I've met countless French heads who absolutely revere them while displaying no particular other signs of giving a fuck about Ireland.

Bet there's rakes of Greek lads who give them a pass for being Greek all the same. You wouldn't be in a position to judge that though, not being Greek and all.

If you think that isn't a thing, just look at the time Metallica played the rds and didn't play Whiskey in the Jar. It's a thing whether you like it or not. Something about national pride in the back of lads heads or something like that, wanting lads from the locality to do well. Being a small island nation we might be particularly prone to that, I dunno the details but it's a thing.

As for Primordial, it turns out I have 2 albums actually because I see there's a Storm Before Calm CD here that I can't ever remember listening to at all.

Storm Before Calm is the last of the great-era albums, in my opinion. Some really cool stuff after it too, but there was a shift into a more live orientated sound after it.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on December 02, 2023, 08:56:28 PMScald- Will of the Gods is Great Power.
What an album. It's just one epic song after another, Jesus. A Tumulus must be near the top, though. Ridiculous, hair raising power.

One of my favourite albums of all time.  Amazing from start to finish!   Had to buy it on double vinyl a few years ago when it was reissued.

Quote from: Anvil on December 06, 2023, 09:22:53 AM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on December 02, 2023, 08:56:28 PMScald- Will of the Gods is Great Power.
What an album. It's just one epic song after another, Jesus. A Tumulus must be near the top, though. Ridiculous, hair raising power.

One of my favourite albums of all time.  Amazing from start to finish!   Had to buy it on double vinyl a few years ago when it was reissued.

I have the Kyrck LP and the Agyl's Saga double CD edition. Tempted by the High Roller version too.

Darkthrone- Under a Funeral Moon. The LP arrived today and it's one I've wanted to pick up for a long time but never quite got around to it. Nice to finally have a vinyl version. It looks great and sounds, eh, delightful  8)
Much like Will of the Gods... this is just one killer after another. Everything is so fucking gnarly in the production and playing. I never knew that the only tom Fenriz used on this album was a floor tom but listening to it with that knowledge you can really hear it. Primitive magic.