#10980 December 01, 2023, 10:49:07 AM Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 12:06:36 PM by Eoin McLove
Primordial- How It Ends. Time for a revisit.

Edit. Perhaps not as completely terrible as I initially thought. There are a few decent songs towards the start and a few flashes of good ideas in the second half but it's a bit of a joyless listen all told. I'm listening out for parts to grab me rather than being grabbed by them. And some of the vocal melodies, or non-melodies, are downright bad. Not to mention the lyrics to Victory Has Thousand Something something something... A bad idea and hard to wrangle anything meaningful from those lyrics. Ah lads. What happened here at all, I wonder.

Cloud Rat - Threshold
Fuck The Facts - Die Miserable

Eternality - DeaĆ¾wyrd

#10983 December 01, 2023, 08:37:36 PM Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 01:43:37 AM by Eoin McLove
Borknagar- The Olden Domain.
Anathema- The Silent Enigma.
Amebix- Arise!

Quote from: astfgyl on November 30, 2023, 09:51:16 PM
Quote from: Ducky on November 30, 2023, 12:59:49 AMBeen doing the "Spotify Wrapped" thing this evening, so in third place, Enya - "Watermark", Depeche Mode - "Black Celebration", and Revocation - "Netherheaven".

Black Celebration is just fantastic all the way through

Yep, peak Depeche Mode to my lugs.

The run from Black Celebration to Songs of Faith and Devotion is a whopper.

Quote from: Ducky on December 01, 2023, 09:40:04 PM
Quote from: Ducky on November 30, 2023, 12:59:49 AMBeen doing the "Spotify Wrapped" thing this evening, so in third place, Enya - "Watermark", Depeche Mode - "Black Celebration", and Revocation - "Netherheaven".

I'd go one farther back and throw Some Great Reward in there too but they fell off a bit after Songs of Faith and Devotion for sure. A couple of very good ones after that, Playing the Angel and Memento Mori are great but the rest is OK to terrible. Have you tried Some Great Reward at all? It's right up there

Napalm Death: Harmony Corruption (1990)

Found it second hand today, had not listened all the way through previously, good riffs/songs here despite what they (the band) think.

Harmony Corruption would be fine if you could actually hear the bloody thing, it's so muffled in terms of the production that it sound like someone's thrown a quilt over the speakers. Some great songs buried in it.

#10988 December 01, 2023, 11:33:10 PM Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 11:35:35 PM by leatherface
Quote from: Carnage on December 01, 2023, 11:09:15 PMHarmony Corruption would be fine if you could actually hear the bloody thing, it's so muffled in terms of the production that it sound like someone's thrown a quilt over the speakers. Some great songs buried in it.

Agreed, I think 'Utopia Banished', which was released later, is the better death/grind hybrid they did. Don't think 'Harmony Corruption' is all that bad of a production job personally.

KRIEGSZITTERN - Flamethrower

Quote from: leatherface on December 01, 2023, 11:33:10 PM
Quote from: Carnage on December 01, 2023, 11:09:15 PMHarmony Corruption would be fine if you could actually hear the bloody thing, it's so muffled in terms of the production that it sound like someone's thrown a quilt over the speakers. Some great songs buried in it.

Agreed, I think 'Utopia Banished', released later, is the better death/grind hybrid they did. Don't think 'Harmony Corruption' is all that bad of a production job personally.

Quote from: leatherface on December 01, 2023, 11:33:10 PM

Agreed, I think 'Utopia Banished', which was released later, is the better death/grind hybrid they did. Don't think 'Harmony Corruption' is all that bad of a production job personally.

Utopia Banished is where I got into them, I'd only heard the odd track and seen the Live Corruption video previously. Great album, one of my favourites, Barney's vocals were properly biting there. I had the digipak with the bonus disc, wish I still had it.

Need to get another copy of 'Utopia Banished', must do that asap, I love/hate collecting music  :'(

Necrophobic - Hrimthursum
Apostle of Solitude - Until the Darkness Goes
Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
Metal Church - XI
Spectre - Lonesome Gambler

Quote from: astfgyl on December 01, 2023, 10:06:52 PM
Quote from: Ducky on December 01, 2023, 09:40:04 PM

I'd go one farther back and throw Some Great Reward in there too but they fell off a bit after Songs of Faith and Devotion for sure. A couple of very good ones after that, Playing the Angel and Memento Mori are great but the rest is OK to terrible. Have you tried Some Great Reward at all? It's right up there

Yeah that's fair, Some Great Reward is a whopper too.

I haven't actually given Momento Mori a fair shake yet, might remedy that later.