Listening to The Apocalypse Manifesto by Enthroned. Less melodic and more viscous than the earlier albums. Love it.

Quote from: Thorn on December 05, 2023, 07:43:21 AMHave you heard 'Storm Before Calm' Ducky? Just out of interest? It would be my favourite Primordial, some cracking tunes on there

Yeah it's not bad, prefer Spirit the Earth Aflame personally.

I like (sometimes love) the vocal and lyrics, I just can't get around the "lad with a metal guitar wander into ta trade session and decided to jam" buzz of a lot of it.

#11042 December 09, 2023, 01:35:31 AM Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 01:37:29 AM by Ducky
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on December 05, 2023, 01:01:48 PM
Quote from: Ducky on December 05, 2023, 06:10:01 AMI'm of the "they're just Irish" persuasion.

Folk who appreciate Primordial don't do so just because they're Irish. Tis only Irish folk who don't like Primordial think that  :laugh: I'm guessing Irish folk who don't like Rotting Christ never think to themselves, "People only like them because they're Greek!" I'd be a much bigger fan of loads of other Irish bands if I was motivated in what I listen to by where the band comes from.

Primordial are a great band, but if you don't like them, that's grand, leave it at that. Over the last 15 years (FUCK!) I've met countless French heads who absolutely revere them while displaying no particular other signs of giving a fuck about Ireland.

That's a fair assessment. One of my buddies (with hair down to his arse) was in a café in Greece circa 2005 and the dude serving him says "I make you happy with the music" and stuck on Primordial :laugh:

I dunno what it is to be honest; I've a soft spot for "Spirit the Earth Aflame" (as it is one of my ten first proowr metal albums),  and "The Coffin Ships" is genuinely spine-tingly) but I can't help bit feel they're massively overrated.

Some of the lyrics and vocals are killer, ditto the drumming, but the songwriting and guitar plainf conjure little more than a bored "shrug" from me.

Hey ho, such is objectivw experiences, I guess.

Solitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths Of Sorrow

Slayer - Show No Mercy 9.5/10
Happy Fortieth big lad

Omen - Battle Cry 9/10
Another classic aging very well indeed

Suicidal Tendencies- Lights..Camera..Revolution 8.5/10
Turned into a pretty good week this

Asphyx - Death..The Brutal Way 8/10
One of their best, crushing stuff.

Testament - Titans Of Creation 7.5/10
Pretty much love all Testament but maybe only Dream Deciever and Symptoms make it to a Best Of..from this

Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol 7/10
Good album but not overly happy with the Svart reissue I picked up,can barely even see the song titles

Exodus - Fabulous Disaster 7/10
Fabulous - The Last Act Of Defiance and Title Track
Dodgy -   Cajun Hell
Disaster - Low Rider

Asphyx- Asphyx 7/10
Gorging the Dutch meat and potatoes this week

Pallbearer - Foundations Of Burden 6/10
Music's alright, vocals lack grit for me

Winterfylleth - The Divination Of Antiquity 5/10
Not a style that does much for me these days

*Ratings reflect personal enjoyment at time of play and are subject to whim, mood and booze.

Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

#11045 December 09, 2023, 09:12:06 PM Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 01:08:06 AM by Eoin McLove
Darkthrone- Under a Funeral Moon.
Satyricon- Dark Medieval Times.
Hexvessel- All Tree.
Enslaved- Eld.
AC/DC- The Razor's Edge.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on December 09, 2023, 09:12:06 PMAC/DC- The Razor's Edge.

One of the sacred originals to me

Quote from: Mr Barlow on December 09, 2023, 03:06:37 PMSolitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths Of Sorrow

What an amazing album.   Must see if I can find my copy and give it a spin.

Manowar - Battle Hymns (Such an insanely good debut album)
Incantation - Infernal Storm
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger (another banger I haven't listened to in an age). 
Saxon - Crusader
Manowar - Into Glory Ride (early Manowar is hard to beat)

Darkthrone - Blaze, Funeral, Transylvanian Hunger. It's like a nonstop freezing razor blades.

Immolation - Dawn Of Possession.

Cannibal Corpse - Vile.

Quote from: Anvil on December 10, 2023, 04:17:58 PM
Quote from: Mr Barlow on December 09, 2023, 03:06:37 PMSolitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths Of Sorrow

What an amazing album.   Must see if I can find my copy and give it a spin.

Manowar - Battle Hymns (Such an insanely good debut album)
Incantation - Infernal Storm
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger (another banger I haven't listened to in an age). 
Saxon - Crusader
Manowar - Into Glory Ride (early Manowar is hard to beat)

Speaking of Manowar, got 'Sign Of The Hammer' LP second hand the other week.
Those vocals at the end of 'Thor',  :abbath:

Sorry... we all know that Manowar aren't an actual band, right? I just want to be clear on that - they're a parody act. We all know that, yes? It's genuinely disturbing that some of you take them seriously.

Manowar have some of the greatest heavy metal ever put to record wether you take them seriously or not.

Speaking of Manowar, recently a record shop here in NZ sold a private collection of 11 Manowar records,  original copies of the first 9 albums and a pic disc of something and a comp LP for the equivalent of 250 euro. Still keeps me up at night, sick I missed it!

Quote from: hellfire on December 08, 2023, 09:53:24 PMListening to The Apocalypse Manifesto by Enthroned. Less melodic and more viscous than the earlier albums. Love it.

I bought that new boxset, planning to listen to Prophecies of Pagan Fire and Towards the Skullthrone of Satan today.

There isn't a bad album in there. The Apocalypse Manifesto really hit the spot for me last week.