Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on October 06, 2023, 11:19:15 PMSvartidaudi - Flesh Cathedral
Horrendous - Ontological Mysterium
Portrait - Crossroads
Urfaust - Untergang (first full listen through to this, didn't exactly move me but I'll give it another go soon)
Gojira - From Mars To Sirius

Plus a couples listens of that Slift and those Slidhr tracks.

Similar to Acherontas, Urfaust have been treading water since Der Freiwillige Bettler. The last 10 years have been the same old formulaic tripe. Have found the last few albums to have one or two good ideas but padded out with way too much phoned in filler. I'm glad they've called it a day.

At the moment I have on...
Blood Stronghold- vengeance in sacrificial blood.

It has the (possibly unique in my collection) honour of being sold via discogs but bought back within a couple of years.  I suppose that points to a band I can't make my mind up about and that's fair enough. It almost works but just quite doesnt. The guitarist/vocalist is Australian and recorded his stuff there. The drummer is Polish and did his side of it there.

I think they are finished up now.

#10576 October 07, 2023, 07:35:13 PM Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 09:03:59 AM by Thorn
Thron - Dust 8/10

A few weeks back I was getting some stuff from Listenable and I decided to check out some of their own latest releases (apart from the Hellwitch which I was already picking up) .
I didn't expect to be into this Thron album much at all, I was already going into it begrudging them the album title (as a true Irishman of course) but damn it's quickly become one of my favourite releases of the year and apparently the previous one is even better.I thought I'd left this sort of Black Metal behind long ago but seemingly not as this is pure Dissection crossed with Dimmu but it's the overtures of Tribulation which really spices it up for me. Again, I can't believe I'm gushing over an album in this style in 2023 but I'm buzzed with my little discovery and am looking forward to working my way through their earlier releases. So yeah, Thron - Dust,great stuff,just need to research those album titles eh.

Oh and I seen the CD in HMV in Belfast today but they had it labelled as 'Iron' ,...bit of trouble reading that esoteric band logo seemingly.
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Impaled Nazarene- Latex cult
Ninkharsag-The Dread...
Morgoth- Cursed

Sölicitör - Spectral Devastation

Quote from: Circlepit on October 06, 2023, 04:48:25 PMCruel Force - Dawn Of The Axe
The Grief - Crucible
Nirvana - In Utero
Born From Pain - In Love With The End
Gespenst - Den Sidste Faerd. This is savage.
Mixed bag today.

Did you see there's another remaster of In Utero out for the 30th anniversary? Haven't listened to it but did have the original on after hearing about it, which set me off on my annual Nirvana pilgrimage. No point in saying much more about Nirvana really but hopefully the newly released and mastered live gigs will be decent

Old Man's Child- In the Shades of Life demo. Soulseller have this reissue on pre-order and I have never listened to it before. First spin here now and I am immediately hooked. The combination of black metal with prominent acoustic guitars and bombastic keys is one I can't quite get enough of these days and it works magically here. Perfect atmosphere and brilliant songwriting. It sounds not a million miles away from early Arcturus, Ulver, Satyricon and Borknagar (though nowhere near as ferocious as the Borknagar debut). I guess I know what my next paycheck is going towards. Along with the new Slidhr of course  8)

Quote from: astfgyl on October 08, 2023, 10:22:04 AM
Quote from: Circlepit on October 06, 2023, 04:48:25 PMCruel Force - Dawn Of The Axe
The Grief - Crucible
Nirvana - In Utero
Mixed bag today.

Did you see there's another remaster of In Utero out for the 30th anniversary? Haven't listened to it but did have the original on after hearing about it, which set me off on my annual Nirvana pilgrimage. No point in saying much more about Nirvana really but hopefully the newly released and mastered live gigs will be decent

I haven't heard any of the remastered stuff.
I was playing the original for my young fella whilst boring him silly about how huge they were way back when.

First Fragment - Gloire Éternelle

Their technicality is overwhelming at times. Any of you into tech/progressive metal might like this.

Burzum - Hvis Lyset tar Oss
The Crawling - All of this for Nothing
Magnum - The Serpent Rings
Vision Master - Spectre
Bunker 66/Lucifuge - of Night and Lust
Exmortus - Necrophony
Suhnopfer - Nous Sommes D'hier

Quote from: Circlepit on October 08, 2023, 12:13:30 PM
Quote from: astfgyl on October 08, 2023, 10:22:04 AM
The Grief - Crucible
Nirvana - In Utero
Mixed bag today.

I haven't heard any of the remastered stuff.
I was playing the original for my young fella whilst boring him silly about how huge they were way back when.

After this I threw on the Nevermind 30th anniversary remaster and I have to say it's a great job. Everything has more separation and a bit more kick to it but hasn't been ruined or lost character in any way. Must grab a cd of it. Have Lounge act on here again this minute and it sounds class

I still have the cassette I bought the day it came out.
I remember thinking how cool of them to say how to set up the stereo for the best listening experience.
I also remember thinking it could be them fucking with people.

Today was all about Therapy?.

Immortal - Battles in the North
Immortal - Blizzard Beasts

Possible a post for the controversial metal opinions thread, but I think Blizzard Beasts is Immortal's peak. Great songs, and you can actually hear the fecking instruments, unlike the previous albums which sound a bit murky.

Kadavar - Rough Times
Knife - Heaven into Dust
Sonata Arctica - Talviyo
For Ruin - Set in Stone
Dismember - Hate Campaign
Graveyard - 6
Force - Discography (1981-84)

Quote from: Massey Ferguson on October 10, 2023, 09:20:30 AMImmortal - Battles in the North
Immortal - Blizzard Beasts

Possible a post for the controversial metal opinions thread, but I think Blizzard Beasts is Immortal's peak. Great songs, and you can actually hear the fecking instruments, unlike the previous albums which sound a bit murky.

Yeah, I've never heard that opinion before so I suppose it's controversial. Pure Holocaust all the way  :abbath:
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Battles is absolutely savage.
I love the sound, the mistakes, the songs. It's killer.