#10395 September 16, 2023, 01:55:01 PM Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 06:28:29 AM by Eoin McLove
Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 16, 2023, 12:24:41 PM
Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 16, 2023, 09:46:24 AMNorth From Here on the Choob here now. Ripping. Must try to get a copy at some point. Amok is supposed to be decent too but what about the rest? The first album any use? I remember hearing some of the later gothy stuff many years ago and not being into it at all but is there good to be discovered there too? I'm definitely more into gloomy gothic stuff these days than I was as a gossoon.

So am I but I don't like anything else they did after NFH. I'd go so  far as to say its uniformly awful in fact. The "Journey to Pohjola" demo and this are all you need.

I checked out a couple of their gothy singles. The vocals are a hurdle. Maybe aiming for a bit of Type O but they were on a hiding to nothing with that. There's only one Type O.

North From Here on now and it's great. That artwork and title font is heartbreakingly awful.

Your brain is upside down though.

#10399 September 16, 2023, 06:42:57 PM Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 06:44:30 PM by Thorn
Lovin'the North From Here love in, that stuff live on the Buried Alive vid/album is lethal too

Latest spins here and my continued upward trajectory of appreciation for Crypt Sermon shows no signs of abating since Shepherd upbraided me a year or two back on a low rating for one of their albums, can't remember which. Only for a very slight attention wane on the second side today I could have gave Out of The Garden the full whack, as it is, it's virtually a masterpiece. Any fans of Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus, Trouble et all owe it to themselves to enter the Crypt ..

Crypt Sermon - Out Of the Garden 9.5/10
Malevolent Creation - The Ten Commandments 9/10
Den Saakaldte - All Hail Pessimism 8.5/10
Massacre - From Beyond 8/10
Evile - Hell Unleashed 8/10
Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption 8/10
Enforced - War Remains 8/10
Blut Aus Nord - Nahab 7/10
Sammath - Grebbeberg 7/10
Sodom - Sodom 7/10
Wearing jeans and leather, not crackerjack clothes

Good shout on NFH, it's a masterpiece.

Marduk - Memento Mori
Tombs - Under Sullen Skies
Sisters of Mercy - Floodland

About half way into that Fabricant album and it is great, good fuckin shout.  Been in the form for this sort of thing lately so it's hitting the spot well.

Quote from: open face surgery on September 16, 2023, 04:11:30 PMYour brain is upside down though.

I have a thing for albums with photos of the aurora borealis on them.

Quote from: ochoill on September 16, 2023, 07:25:19 PMAbout half way into that Fabricant album and it is great, good fuckin shout.  Been in the form for this sort of thing lately so it's hitting the spot well.

What sort of thing is that?

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 16, 2023, 09:36:37 PM
Quote from: open face surgery on September 16, 2023, 04:11:30 PMYour brain is upside down though.

I have a thing for albums with photos of the aurora borealis on them.

Lol

Paradise Lost - The Plague Within 8.5/10

Listening to this a lot lately, definitely my favourite of the second half of PL's career.

The Grief - Horizon's Fall. This is so good.
Looking forward to new one.

Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood.

Ecocide -Eye Of Wicked Sight. They have a new one coming soon as well.

Seducer - Caught in the Act/Indecent Exposure
MegatonSword - Blood Hails Steel
Burzum - Burzum/Aske
Rotting Christ - A Dead Poem. 
Rotting Christ - Rituals.
Blut Aus Nord - Disharmonium - Nahab
Mayhem - Daemonic Rites
Phil Campbell & the Bastard Sons - Kings of the Asylum

Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes 9/10

The cassette reissue from Svart landed on my doormat this morning, nice gloomy Autumn evening for it too.

Temple Of Void - Summoning The Slayer (Don't let the generic band/song names put you off - solid death-doom!)
Helloween - The Dark Ride
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal

Quote from: Thorn on September 18, 2023, 07:58:19 PMDemigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes 9/10

The cassette reissue from Svart landed on my doormat this morning, nice gloomy Autumn evening for it too.

I nearly left it too late to get the vinyl version. They sold out of both versions as did Seasons of Mist, so I picked it up on Amazon at the start of the month. Fine package, but not gone on the new cover art! Graphics remind me of old C64 games  :)

Having said that, I haven'y played it yet as Amorphis "Skyforger" is on heavy rotation since the same order was placed.