Quote from: open face surgery on September 15, 2023, 07:06:50 PMGot nearly halfway through the Fabricant album. Crazy stuff. Dunno if there's too much funk in it but time will tell.

The ould slap bass bit was a bit of a shock but really, can you ever have enough funk?

Definitely got 7" era Cenotaph of Castleumbra, the sheer murk of that early Mexican stuff (the early Shub Nigurath as well).

Jesus get "North From Here" into you immediately. Fucking genius album, I can kind of understand why Sentenced changed styles after, I don't think they could have topped it.

Also listening to the new Blood Incantation and Tomb Mold this evening - top stuff from both.

Queued up Fabricant off the back of it being discussed here. Going down nicely with a glass of merlot.

#10382 September 16, 2023, 12:37:23 AM Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 12:41:07 AM by 91/30
Royal Hunt - Fear
Annihilator - Alice in Hell

Devin Townsend playlist - some of the early commercial stuff. Mighty.

Quote from: Pentagrimes on September 15, 2023, 11:00:18 PM
Quote from: open face surgery on September 15, 2023, 07:06:50 PMGot nearly halfway through the Fabricant album. Crazy stuff. Dunno if there's too much funk in it but time will tell.

The ould slap bass bit was a bit of a shock but really, can you ever have enough funk?

Definitely got 7" era Cenotaph of Castleumbra, the sheer murk of that early Mexican stuff (the early Shub Nigurath as well).

Jesus get "North From Here" into you immediately. Fucking genius album, I can kind of understand why Sentenced changed styles after, I don't think they could have topped it.

A mate played me a Sentenced album years ago which I enjoyed at the time but didn't feel a need to go back to. Will get on it. I only know Gloomy Reflections by Cenotaph so that's on me.

I listened to a really bad YouTube rip of North From Here and really liked it. I subsequently listened to a better rip and didn't like it as much. The shit one added a warpy phase-iness that worked for me but I must pick it up for a deep dive (I have many other cool new sayings which I'll sprinkle throughout my conservation... going forward.)

Quote from: Ducky on September 15, 2023, 11:41:10 PMAlso listening to the new Blood Incantation and Tomb Mold this evening - top stuff from both.

Queued up Fabricant off the back of it being discussed here. Going down nicely with a glass of merlot.

Interesting choice. I'd probably have paired it with a bottle of buckfast myself

#10387 September 16, 2023, 09:46:24 AM Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 09:48:07 AM by Eoin McLove
North From Here on the Choob here now. Ripping. Must try to get a copy at some point. Amok is supposed to be decent too but what about the rest? The first album any use? I remember hearing some of the later gothy stuff many years ago and not being into it at all but is there good to be discovered there too? I'm definitely more into gloomy gothic stuff these days than I was as a gossoon.

Had that Tomb Mold on meself in the car yesterday and this morning, it's deadly, the vocals are a bit samey on it but overall it's grand.  Fabricant queued up for later when I can give ut a bit more time than just spinning around.

Tried the new Baroness and got two songs in before I turned it off.  It's grand but it's not for me.  I think the only one of their albums that ever really clicked was Red and I love that, it goes on fairly regularly, none of the rest ever stuck with me.

Samul-Nori - Live in NY 1983
KIM DAE HWAN - Black Rain
Clutch - Book of Bad Habits
The Wounded Kings - Shadows over Atlantis

Quote from: Eoin McLove on September 16, 2023, 09:46:24 AMNorth From Here on the Choob here now. Ripping. Must try to get a copy at some point. Amok is supposed to be decent too but what about the rest? The first album any use? I remember hearing some of the later gothy stuff many years ago and not being into it at all but is there good to be discovered there too? I'm definitely more into gloomy gothic stuff these days than I was as a gossoon.

So am I but I don't like anything else they did after NFH. I'd go so  far as to say its uniformly awful in fact. The "Journey to Pohjola" demo and this are all you need.

I'll check out that demo. I'll definitely give the later stuff a fair go because you never know. It might be just what I'm after.

North from here a top 10 album for me,simply amazing!

Massacra: Signs Of The Decline   (very overlooked group, savage sounding riffs.)

Zom: Flesh Assimilation  (remember this getting a sniffy review on the MI site years ago but it isn't too bad. BTW, what happened to this group?)

Blood Incantation: Starspawn  (took this off the shelf and gave it a spin again, is it 'cosmic death metal'? not sure, but it's great.)

Quote from: leatherface on September 16, 2023, 01:15:47 PMMassacra: Signs Of The Decline   (very overlooked group, savage sounding riffs.)

Zom: Flesh Assimilation  (remember this getting a sniffy review on the MI site years ago but it isn't too bad. BTW, what happened to this group?)

Houlie moved to Belgium, the other two went back to being in punk bands.