Shit one. Did he live here at one stage or something?

'Dusk and Her Embrace' was an important album for me, as with many here no doubt. I can't say I knew anything about the man personally and none of his other bands (according to MA) mean anything to me, but having played on 'Dusk...' and to a lesser extent 'Cruelty...' is a fine legacy. 48 is a frighteningly young age to go.

#332 August 23, 2022, 01:08:29 PM Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 10:31:44 PM by vinterland
Fairly sure that was Damien who would've played with Stuart on Vempire & Dusk and who hails from Northern Ireland. Shockingly young age to go. I'd hazard a guess that Cradle's output from 1994-98 was the prime reason huge numbers got into black metal in the first instance in what was by and large the pre-internet age. RIP.

Quote from: open face surgery on August 22, 2022, 09:38:47 PMShit one. Did he live here at one stage or something?

Here's a fairly indepth interview with him... seems like a pretty nice dude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Fr-ZysLe0

Shocking news, one of my fav guitar players just from Cruelty and the Beast alone. I enjoyed the scars and guitars podcast interview he did a few years back, seemed pretty sound.

Dusk and Cruelty era COF were pretty formative for me so that's shite news. The guitars on those two albums were killer.

The news of the death of the guy from Forgotten Woods is also sad to hear. A fantastic band, largely forgotten amongst the usual 90s Norwegian black metal. FW is up there with the best of them in my opinion. Check out the first two albums if you don't know them.

Quote from: Grim Reality on August 24, 2022, 11:11:04 PMDusk and Cruelty era COF were pretty formative for me so that's shite news. The guitars on those two albums were killer.

The news of the death of the guy from Forgotten Woods is also sad to hear. A fantastic band, largely forgotten amongst the usual 90s Norwegian black metal. FW is up there with the best of them in my opinion. Check out the first two albums if you don't know them.

Yep, that Forgotten Woods stuff is great. I have those two CDs ordered.

That era of COF was amazing. The poor chap working in BPM was harassed to get both of them on release day for months. Surprised he never brained me.

Quote from: Eoin McLove on August 25, 2022, 12:52:16 AM
Quote from: Grim Reality on August 24, 2022, 11:11:04 PMDusk and Cruelty era COF were pretty formative for me so that's shite news. The guitars on those two albums were killer.

Yep, that Forgotten Woods stuff is great. I have those two CDs ordered.

Andy, get the EP Sjel.... as well.

It was incredible how fertile that 90s norwegian scene was. FW have their own identity in comparison to their more famous peers. Every band had its own angle. I was at Beyond The Gates there for the Mayhem/Enslaved/Emperor Greighallen gig. It was savage and with all the accompanying history, myth and legend it was hard to take it all in. But contemporaneous to it all was the likes of Forgotten Woods, isolated from the main shakers but producing some of the best inventive Norwegian Black Metal you are likely to hear.

The EP is added as a bonus to one of the CDs. I would rather have had it separate but that's enough about my OCD.

I was just listening to 'Sjel av Natten' and one of the key riffs has been directly lifted from 'I Will Run to You' by Bryan Adams  ;D

Sure didn't Ordinance recycle 'Hotel California' on their first album!

There's a main riff in 'Poison and the Crucifix' off the new Negative Plane that sounds very familiar to me but I haven't put my finger on it yet...

I am now determined to sneak some awful pop music riffs into any future black metal projects I work on. Maybe '99 Red Balloons' or 'Wonderwall' or something... you have been warned!

Way ahead of you on that front..

Sad news about Dave Sherman's passing only 55. Suggestions it was a cardiac event.

The Queen just shuffled off