My memories of this gig is the Anathema lead singer giving out about all the rockers at the gig...

"We have to play some of that old shit..." not meant in a metallica way.

What a goose!

Quote from: KingHostile on September 07, 2023, 06:15:46 PMMy memories of this gig is the Anathema lead singer giving out about all the rockers at the gig...

What a goose!
He did the mocking beating of the chest too

It was good enough gig, I think I still have the ticket.

Also remember Geasa's "Angels Cry" album coming out. I have the CD at home. Destined for bigger things that never happened!!!

Mad Steve and Abaddon Incranate are still going......fair play to him.

Angels Cry only clicked with me in the last year or two despite buying it when it came out. I never liked it for decades but I fucking love it now. Weird. I would love to see that get a nice vinyl release.

QuoteMy memories of this gig is the Anathema lead singer giving out about all the rockers at the gig...

What a goose!

That was said in jest. They said they would cover all eras that night and I remember Vinny being blown away by the pit that they got for Sleepless.For me it was the last time they played that earlier material with any amount of sincerity, apart from the 3hr gig they did in the academy many many years later. Now the gig a couple of years later on the back of Fine Day to Exit album was a different story, very snide attitude to that stuff "Here's another stupid old one" etc. A few of us were talking to Danny after that show and he said it was the worst gig they'd done in Dublin but it seemed to be lost on him that their attitude that night played into it, more than happy to blame the crowd.

100% Arcane Sun did the gig in Doran's.

Quote from: Pagan Saviour on September 08, 2023, 09:34:20 AM
QuoteMy memories of this gig is the Anathema lead singer giving out about all the rockers at the gig...

What a goose!

Now the gig a couple of years later on the back of Fine Day to Exit album was a different story, very snide attitude to that stuff "Here's another stupid old one" etc. A few of us were talking to Danny after that show and he said it was the worst gig they'd done in Dublin but it seemed to be lost on him that their attitude that night played into it, more than happy to blame the crowd.

Was that the gig in TBMC where Vinny was a particularly sandy vagina with the lighting man? Such a disappointing gig for 2 reasons, 1) people at the back were chatting away loudly like it was just a pub they were in, and 2) The band acted like they didn't want to be there from the opening notes of the gig.

Quoteas that the gig in TBMC where Vinny was a particularly sandy vagina with the lighting man? Such a disappointing gig for 2 reasons, 1) people at the back were chatting away loudly like it was just a pub they were in, and 2) The band acted like they didn't want to be there from the opening notes of the gig

That's the one!

Maybe an Anathema thread is needed...

I definitely got the impression in later years that Danny especially looked more than a bit irritated when it came to playing the older stuff. Even at the gig in the Academy he looked like it was an inconvenience for him to be there. The rest of the band on the other hand were really into it.

Anathema are spastics. Well one of them anyway

In the spirit of the thread though I'll have to check out the arcane sun album.  I've never heard a note of it.

It's fucking great. A unique experience, or at least I have never heard an album quite like it. But let's not derail the Shit Anathema Gig thread  ;)

Yes I like that Arcane Sun a lot too. It's a trip.
I wasn't at the Anathema gig unfortunately.

That gig in the Academy where they did all eras of their material was better than i expected.Darren white really did justice to the old tracks!

#59 September 08, 2023, 04:04:25 PM Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 04:06:44 PM by Cailleach
Quote from: Paul keohane on September 08, 2023, 03:08:15 PMThat gig in the Academy where they did all eras of their material was better than i expected.Darren white really did justice to the old tracks!
I  regret not  going to that gig. His vocals  on Serenades are great.