#120 June 09, 2019, 04:55:39 PM Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 05:26:13 PM by Black Shepherd Carnage
Quote from: Trev on June 09, 2019, 04:36:47 PM
Quote from: Black Shepherd Carnage on June 09, 2019, 03:57:38 PM
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/slayer/2019/nurburgring-nurburg-germany-2b919076.html

Slayer's setlist from last night at Rock am Ring. One instrumental track from new album as intro music, one other track from it played to open... and that's it. 11 songs total from the classic albums.
Bit different though, Slayer are on their farewell tour and not touring and album. On the Repentless run they were  regularly putting four or five songs from it into their sets

That's a fairish point... though Hardwired is almost 3 years old now too, so that must be why it strikes me as odd to still be plugging it to that extent. And also since, in my head, any Slane-size concert should be a greatest hits show, given that the greatest hits is the only puller of that size of a crowd. But hey, they did Whiskey!  :abbath:

It's a strange one, because if they didn't play any new songs people would slag them for being a nostalgia act, if they play too many people complain about that too  :laugh:.

I haven't listened to their most recent properly but I'd be more annoyed they played something off St Anger  :laugh:, I thought that was in the 'pretend it doesn't exist' pile haha.

Just seen they donated 35k to a centre for homeless people in town.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/metallica-donate-35000-aid-homeless-16402474

Ok I had it in my head that only came out early last year, probably is getting on a bit to be pushing it so much at this point

Alot  of wank in the setlist.
Memory remains? Who would actually suggest that if a fan was picking a set list.trujillo might aswell have had a pint of Guinness and a gaa jersey on for the wild rover.As others mentioned there was far too much hardwired material.

Thought Ghost were great and hopefully will be 3arena bound soon for their own full show.

Not interested in seeing 'tallica these days in any venue but those outdoor shows are a complete waste of time and money for me. Even Maiden wouldn't tempt me to one of them these days. I'd agree that the setlist for those shows should be the classics, anything less is an insult to those who trundled along. Whiskey in the fucking jar, can barely stomach the Thin Lizzy version, heading off with Metallicas version ringing in your (bleeding) ears must have been a traumatic event for all concerned.

What's the craic with all the hate for SLF around here? I thought they had a great set, very enjoyable. Compared to those glorified pop stars in Ghost.

Worst thing about Metallica was the setlist. Would have liked to have seen a couple more KEA or MOP tunes, gimme some Whiplash or Battery or something. Frantic needs to be scrapped. They should never play the Wild Rover again. I enjoyed the gig a lot more than I thought I would have, even if there was a couple week spots

Personally the only 2 songs in the set I'd never seen them play were Memory remains and Ride the Lightning so I was quite happy to lap them up back to back  ;D

Wild Rover was an unwanted present you could laugh at (whilst going to the bar). Was hardly their finest show but I really enjoyed it much more than indoors in London 2 years ago even.

Tobias better stick to his word and comeback, a semi muted reception with half the crowd seemingly unaware of them but they surely scooped up some new fans.

Setlist was very disappointing, apart from that all-too-short run of classics. Drank enough to not really notice too much gobshitery. Left during the encore and got on the road without any delay.

Quote from: Mr Moonlight on June 09, 2019, 06:20:04 PM
Not interested in seeing 'tallica these days in any venue but those outdoor shows are a complete waste of time and money for me. Even Maiden wouldn't tempt me to one of them these days. I'd agree that the setlist for those shows should be the classics, anything less is an insult to those who trundled along. Whiskey in the fucking jar, can barely stomach the Thin Lizzy version, heading off with Metallicas version ringing in your (bleeding) ears must have been a traumatic event for all concerned.
this was Slane fella,thousands there couldnt give a shite what they played as long as they played Enter sandman.Its a day out on the piss for most,this wasnt a gathering of die hard fans.The bands setlist was aiming at the semi casual event junkie,which is what Slane is.

You cant really compare Slayers and Metallicas sets,two different audiences ,with a bit of a cross over.

Quote from: Paul keohane on June 09, 2019, 08:22:08 PM
Quote from: Mr Moonlight on June 09, 2019, 06:20:04 PM
this was Slane fella,thousands there couldnt give a shite what they played as long as they played Enter sandman.Its a day out on the piss for most,this wasnt a gathering of die hard fans.The bands setlist was aiming at the semi casual event junkie,which is what Slane is.

Fair enough lad. There was no confusion on my part as to what Slane is about nor of the cross section of  the population to be found at a Metallica concert these days. No harm in a recap every now and then, I  suppose. Cheers.

Quote from: HeartWorm on June 09, 2019, 05:53:17 PM
Alot  of wank in the setlist.
Memory remains? Who would actually suggest that if a fan was picking a set list.trujillo might aswell have had a pint of Guinness and a gaa jersey on for the wild rover.As others mentioned there was far too much hardwired material.

Thought Ghost were great and hopefully will be 3arena bound soon for their own full show.
3 Arena? I highly doubt that. I could not see anyone who seemed to know a single Ghost song in the section I was in

Quote from: Paul keohane on June 09, 2019, 08:25:36 PM
You cant really compare Slayers and Metallicas sets,two different audiences ,with a bit of a cross over.

Are you not kind of talking at crossed purposes to yourself though? It was an audience of semi-casuals, not die hard fans...so then it should have been a greatest hits setlist rather than 5 tracks off the newest, surely?

Guess they really are just aiming to plug the new stuff still, rope some of those casuals into streaming the new material. 'Cos in terms of die hard, I mean we have to be talking John McClane on steroids style fans who are still actively listening to their newer releases!

#134 June 10, 2019, 01:26:38 AM Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 01:29:14 AM by BobbyAxelrod
Seems like the 75k figure was probably correct, as the Irish Times and Indo were using it in their post show reports. Also: https://metallica-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/v1560052829/Photos/Live%20Photos/2019-06jun08_slane-photos/2019-06jun08_pic44_bm.jpg

Disappointed with the setlist; there were some a month or two back that were considerably better. Lords of Summer instead of Spit Out The Bone would've been class. It's their best song in at least two decades.

I still loved the show.